Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Long Term TTC & Assisted Conception - Jan 2008 #2

i think what i need to inject myself with is called pregnyl???

Default hj1981

I had 2 lots of Pregnyl after transfer. One tthe day after and another 4 days later.

I like you knew nothing about what I was taking or what it was meant to do and I ve learnt more on here than my FS. One thing I did learn was that if you dont get an answer from your FS ask him or her again. Or if you think of something afterwards or are have any queries ring them and ask them. Next time round for me, which will be with a different FS, I will be pretty much demanding they inform me on what is happening and why.

yeah i didnt think of these questions until afterwards!!! i might give him a call!
    i read about your angel babies - im sooo sorry - it made me cry! just when i think i got it bad - there is always someone who has or had it worse - i cant imagine what u went through!
    i hope you will be 3rd time lucky - just like me!

AB, Lfish, Tish & Kell - thanks for your thoughts and well wishes. You guys are awesome and have left me feeling really good today!

Lfish - good luck for OPU on Thursday, hun! I'll be thinking of you! I hope to hear lots of good news about eggs and embies when I log back in next week!

Tish - you're almost there with those orangutan injections - it's almost over! I think both synarel and the injections have their pros and cons. LOL you killed me with that one. Orangutan. I love it I'll be thinking of you on Saturday too - hang in there - it sounds like everything is going along really well! Good Luck, hun!

rather hazy - welcome to the thread. You're definitely in the right place for talking about IVF I wish you lots of luck, that you're IVF journey is a a short and successful one and I hope your appointments go well in the next little while.

HJ - Hi I'm sorry to hear about your angel babies. It's good to see that your FS has found out a reason and can help you through it. HCG and progesterone supplements are often prescribed to women going through AC as well as in your situation for luteal support (the TWW). The most common of these is progesterone. It's usually given in the form of a pessary or a cream that you administer internally, as AB has said. HCG is often given in combination to help boost your pregnancy hormones even further by supplementing the normal HCG (pregnancy hormone) your body produces when it becomes pregnant. So overall, HCG and Progesterone supplements can help supplement your normal pregnancy hormones, or assist a great deal if they are lacking.

Pregnyl is the HCG injection. I'm not sure about the Progesterone injections or what they are called. HCG/Pregnyl is also used in a large single dose to trigger ovulation in IVF patients before collection of their eggs, and this is what I think you may have googled. But it is often used a number of times in smaller doses as a supplement after ovulation. The injection is administered sub-cutaneously, which means directly under the skin, usually in the stomach or the thigh, as your doctor has said. It's not usually given in the muscle (IM). Having to have both progesterone and HCG injections would definitely be a lot, especially if needles are an issue for you. Maybe you could talk to your FS about having the pessaries if it is too much, and just having the pregnyl injections.

I know this might sound flippant, but try not to stress too much - I was pretty freaked by the first injection I had to do, but after you've bitten the bullet and done it it becomes a little easier the next time and the next time after that. Is there someone (i.e. partner) who can help you with the injections?

You can always speak to your FS again and ask him any questions that you may have and I'm sure they will help ease your mind about the supplements. I wish you lots of luck for this next time!

Miss C

Miss C - thank you soooo much - the HCG injection i need to take is pregnyl and i have to take that every 2nd day after ovualation for a wk and a bit i think it is - and thats done just under the skin! so thats normal is it? my lp phase is good he said and i do ovualate so im guessing im taking it to help boost my pregnancy hormones like u said! i feel much better now! he did offer my the pessaries however said for my situation the injections would be better!
    being on this isnt going to stop a mc if something is wrong with the bub is it?
    do the injections hurt afterwards? did u have any side affects? my dh is going to help me with the injections - however believe it or not i work for the QAS so i might get one of the paramedics to do it for me! hehehehe
    Once again thank you - you have been a great help!

NAT025 Guest

Hi Everyone
    Thank you so much for your replies.
    Miss C - Everything you had said is correct, I am just being impatient. I really do love the doctor that I am with and they have history of my cycles now so it would be silly to change to another FS and be told the exact same things. I think I just need to chill a little and it will happen when it happens. I just cant help wonder if someone else is going to give me some different answers. I think I may make an appointment with my FS if I have no luck with my FET in February.
    Good Luck Girls!!

jbub Guest

Miss C- Great news about your follies. Look forward to hearing some great fertilization results from you and then I'll see you in the 2ww thread next week.

hj1981 - i was petrified about the needles too and worried and dreamt about it for weeks before hand. I have a diabetic friend who advised me to just get in and do it quickly and try not to think about it otherwise it is much harder. That helped me a lot. for my first needle my hand was really shaky but i just did it really quickly and found that it isn't that bad. Occasionally it feels like a little ant bite for 20 mins after depending on the med but usually i hardly felt it. I am in the 2ww of my first ivf cycle. I gave myself 42 injections in a few weeks. It really isn't that bad - and this is coming from someone who has fainted in a blood test!!! i think if you can, try and do it yourself. Now that i can do it myself i would prefer that than have a nurse or my DF do it.

Sorry for being AWOL everyone. I haven't started at the first page so no personals just yet.

Me, well AF arrived thanks to the provera and I'm now on the pill ready for FET. Basically they are taking the "long" option with me this time, the pill til Feb 8th, start Synarel on the 4th Feb. Blood test on the 13th of Feb, Progynova for 2 weeks from the 14th and ET around the 29th of Feb, early March. I just got the paperwork for the cycle and nearly fell over at how much the prices have risen since our last cycle in mid 2006. Praying we get a BFP with our last frostie otherwise I'll have to put off another egg collection.

Default Needles

Ohhh Jbub, praise to you.... I couldnt do it. I m the biggest wimp. My routine was, get ready for work, go downstairs get whichever one it was out of the fridge, go to the couch, lay on it ..... told you... wimp....then hubby would come over and do it with me looking the other way. He wasnt allowed to pick it up until i was looking away. If i just so happened to see him with it i freaked... like someone coming at me with a knife. I would be like.... stop ... stop... stop,.... hold on a sec... put it down. I swear, i am the biggest freak when it comes to needles.

Bottom line is, if i can do it ANYONE can. I even lay down in the nurses office for a blood test and they arent allowed show me the needle there either.

jbub - do they hurt more than the IM ones? im trying not too think about it but honestly i freak! last time i got an injection it took 5ppl to hold me down!!!! as for BT im like Angel Babies - i have to lie down - i cant look at the needle and the give me the butterfly one that they use on babies!! also my DH has to come in with me! too be honest im getting good a BT tho so hopefully i will be the same with injections but for some reason they scare me more!!!

slyder Guest

AB, you sound just like my DW. I do the needles as well and she was not good with them at all. At least in the beginning, she's actually pretty OK with them now. When she was having regular blood tests she didn't even seem bothered in the end which is saying something, but now that we're out of that regularity, she still gets a bit uptight before having one at the moment.

Wow looks like some great steps forward In here group.

Me I visted the AP he has put me on some balanceing herbs should have first temp chart for him soon

HJ, I will be completely honest - IM injections hurt more than subcutaneous injections. I've not had the progesterone injections, but I do know of several women on another forum who have to have progesterone in oil given as an intramuscular injection. They don't find it too bad, I guess you get used to it after a while. Of course, I'm comparing a morphine shot given in the arm with the injections I had for IVF - even though it hurts more during the injection, the pain is very short-lived and doesn't linger.

In the end, I think it comes down to the fact that we'll put up with almost anything in order to have a baby - and when it comes down to that, we can put ourselves through amazing things we never thought would be possible in order to get there.

BW

Thanks Miss C I am getting REALLY excited about tomoro and just hope all goes well at my EPU. Am up first thing in ther morning 8.30am so that is great no waiting around. Am feeling really FULL now with follies. I will be keeping an eye out for you next week to see how you went, in fact there are a few who are having their EPU and transfer over the next week so i will be following all of you. Good Luck! HUGS

rather hazy Guest

Thank you Tish & Miss C for the welcome. I'm still yet to read up on all the abbreviations. I've got no clue what a PU is, but good luck Tish. DH said the biopsy was no where near as bad as he'd anticipated it to be. He's recovered really well, by the next day he felt fine.

I'm curious, I've got my appointments tomorrow, how long after that do we actually start the IVF? I've got so many questions, I'm sure I'll find out tomorrow, I'm just so impatient

slyder Guest

Hazy - egg pick up. Or egg collection.

Lionfish - GL tommorrow sweet
    Hazy - Gl at the appt it will depend on your FS as to when you start

Default Hazy

If you have questions.... ask away. Cant say I ll know the answers to all of them but I have just completed a "successful" IVF cycle. Unfortunatly I lost them but the actual Cycle was successful.

I m sure what I cant answer someone else here will be able to.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast