Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions regarding your treatment

Oh Belle - I hope it's a positive sign - I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Vicki
    x

Default IVF Questions

Hi,
    I?ve been viewing these forums for a few months now, but this is my first post in the LTTTC forums.
    Hello and babydust to everyone.

DH and I have been TTC #1 since Feb ?06, and started treatment in Feb ?08. We did 2 cycles on Clomid/Pregnyl, and I?m 10dpo today in our second IUI (Puregon/Pregnyl) cycle. I have my follow-up appointment with our FS on 10/6/08, if this IUI doesn?t work. I?m guessing the outcome of this appointment will be to move onto the next step, which I?m pretty sure will be IVF (please correct me if I?m wrong). That?s what we?re preparing for.

My question is, does anyone know if we will be able to start IVF straight after the FS appointment? My cycles are 28 days on the dot, and I?ll be roughly 24 days (of a cycle off) on the day of the appointment. I have 2 weeks holidays a week and a half after the appointment, and I think this time would be perfect for the appointments needed for IVF. I?m worried about the time I?ve already taken off from work, for blood tests, FS appointments, and IUI, and will look at changing my holidays if we can?t start straight away.

I guess my main question is what is the preparation needed for IVF, and what happens with the procedure?

Sorry for the lengthy post

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

It depends on whether your Dr decides to go with a flare or down reg cycle, whether you've had all your screening tests done, and a few other factors. Have a read of this thread : First IVF cycle. It explains the different protocols and might give you an idea. But if you have more questions, don't be afraid to ask in here.

alloy

it will depend on which protocol your FS uses if you are moving to IVF. the usual first up attempt is with a long down regulation phase, so four weeks on the pill, and then move into down regulation using synarel/lucrin, before moving to the stimulation with puregon. if i were you, i would call your clinic and find out what protocol your doctor is thinking of using and, if it involves that first month on the pill to start the down reg process, start it when AF arrives this time (though i'm truly hoping you don't need that at all!) - i'm not sure, but i think that your two weeks of leave probably won't coincide cos even if AF arrives when you think it will, you'll still need to wait a while before you start on the synarel for a couple of weeks before the stim starts. hopefully someone will be able to give you more of an idea of the exact timing (i wasn't able to use either the pill or synarel so i'm going off what i've read)

Thank you for the advice!! I've got a bit more information now, but I guess I'll wait until I see the FS and see what she says (which is what these appointments are for, right? )
    If this IUI doesn't work, a break will be nice, so I'll just wait until our appointment, and I'm sure work will be fine if I change my holidays at the last minute. They know what I'm doing, so they know to expect days off etc at short notice.
    Briggsy'sgirl - Thanks heaps, I'm hoping I won't need to think about IVF either, but I hate not knowing what could happen, and not being able to plan ahead.

Hi Alloy
    Just wondering what clinic your at. im at fertility north and i know they generally will try 3 to 4 IUI cycles before moving to IVF unless they find something wrong with you or DH, also they prefer to do a laproscopy after a few failed IUI's to see if there is anything to explain your situation. Have you had one of those and an HSG, id want those tests done before you move to IVF which is alot more full on and evasive. It sounds awful but i found my 3 IUI cycles very good preparation for IVF, or i think i would not be handling it so well. Good luck!

Hi Scooby,

I'm at Fertility North too (we've most likely sat in the waiting room together ), through Dr Norman.
    We tried 2 cycles of Clomid/Pregnyl, and then moved on to IUI. Dr Norman gave us authority to try for 2 cycles, and then we have to go back to see her, so I've just assumed that IVF will be the next cycle. Maybe she'll send us back for a few more IUI's, I'll have to wait and see I guess.
    They haven't found anything wrong with DH or I (unexplained) and I had a HSG back in August when we started seeing Dr Norman. She hasn't mentioned a Laproscopy, whats that? Maybe that's what will be the next step from this next appointment.

Hi Alloy
    Im with Jay Natalwala, and yes we probably have . Laproscopy is a day surgery were they use keyhole techniques, so they go in just below your belly button and just above your bikini line and have a look around and if there is anything there sometimes they can take it away. It is good for diagnosing endometriosis, fibroids etc. I believe Margot is lovely i have heard great things about her so im sure she will do the right thing by you. My SIL had one IUI cycle then a laproscopy to have some endo taken away and fell pregnant with the very next IUI so it can be very successful. Good Luck

Margo is lovely!
    It looks like we'll be going to our appointment on 10/6, I've started spotting today at 13dpo which is the same as my past 3 medicated cycles. AF will show up Sunday night most likely.

Thanks for the info Scooby, I now know what to ask Margo about at our appt, so that's been really helpful.

I have a queation re. pregnyl. I has first FS appt this week and he had suggested IVF/ICSI, in the meantime he thinks we should keep TTC using the clomid but he has added in pregnyl in the LP (as it is short and I have low progesterone). He said I could just write my own script for it (I am a doctor) and I am sure he told me it was SC. The next day I saw my O+G for a clomid scan and he wrote the script for me. He has written IM !. The medical literature seems to say it can be given either way and the bioavailability is the same. How have other people used it ? Thanks

Most IVF clinics administer pregnyl as SC. IM is far more painful, and I think a bit more difficult to do. SC is completely fine.

BW

Thank you so much BW. Thats what I thought was the case but was hesitant. Am much happier with that as I think I can manage to do my own sc injections but not sure how i would go with IM and my partner would probably freak!

How long after last pregnyl injection is it safe to do HPT? My last pregnyl injection (1500 IU) will be on sat and FF says to test on mon but I am worried the pregnyl will give a false positive.

Hi DrGirl,

I was told by my clinic that a HPT shouldn't be done after a pregnyl injection as it could give a false positive. I was told a blood test was the only way to confirm a pg after using pregnyl in that cycle. Good luck!

Hi DrGirl,

I was told by my FS that it takes around 7 days for 1500iu to be out of your system.

Hope that helps.

Janie

Thanks, guess i will have to learn more patience then!

Default acupuncture with IVF/ ICSI

hey everyone, i posted in my blog but thought i'd ask the question here as this is actually the place for questions???
    anyway after a failed cycle /early mc i will be doing a froz transfer in july. anyway i've heard that acupuncture can help with implantation and hel bub to stick as well. also huge stress release which is always good for bub too.
    anyway i don't know anything about acupuncture, where to go, or anything . i had look in yellow pages and sent email to local guy who says acupuncture for fertility, waiting to hear back from him.
    i want to do everything i can to get that BFP and keep it!
    does anyone know much about acupuncture?

janet

I don't know a great deal about acupuncture itself, but I have been having acupuncture treatments for about two years now to assist with fertility treatment. It has helped amazingly with stress, and I do believe it has helped with getting embryos to implant (staying implanted is another thing, though!) - from 5 transfers I've had 4 pregnancies, two very early miscarriages, one later and hopefully one VERY sticky pregnancy now...

BW

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast