Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: too acidic for sperm to survive?

Lightbulb too acidic for sperm to survive?

Hi ladies - just wondering if anyone else has been told that their fanwah might be too acidic, so the poor little swimmers are dropping off before they can do their thang?
    I was seeing a naturopath last year, who told me i had a strong acidic constitution, so this may be making if difficult for the sperm to survive the journey
    He made me up a gross tonic, and gave me info on alkaline foods. It didn't help with falling pregs, but we discovered endo in June this year, which could have been a factor in preventing us from falling.
    Sooooo, now that i've had the endo treated, i'm considering returning to the naturopath and seeking their opinion again.

Have any of you ladies had this experience? I've heard via the grapevine that a family friend was in a similar situation, but i'm not ready to discuss my unexplained infertility with family friends just yet

Hope one of you can share your experience/opinion.

Best wishes

Hi, has your dr diagnosed you with this? There is a test they can do that I've heard of... after you DTD they take a sample of inside and see how many sperm are living (or, thats how I think it goes...). Not that I think the naturopath is wrong, just that its good for the dr to know too, because they should be able to help as well...

Hi leasha - yes i've also heard of that test, i think it's called 'post coital' !! Ahh all these lovely terms.... well i guess they have to call it something! I guess they give you a little sample jar, so you can DTD at home, then take it to pathology within a certain time frame?? Mmmmm might ask the FS about it next appointment. Thanks for your comments

Hi sorry to butt in just thought I would give you info on the "post coital test" (name makes me chuckle )... My DH and I did that test while they were trying to work out why we couldnt get pg and it basically just involved us DTD as late as we could in the night and then going into FS rooms early next morning and he took a sample from inside the cervix (just like a pap smear kind of thing). It was painless and he gave us the results by the time I had gotten dressed and sat down.

Hope that helps, would definitely be worth looking into cause it would diagnose an acidic problem.

Hi Therese
    Have you thought about buying some pH strips? I know when gender swaying there is lots of talk about the pH of cervical fluid.
    I tested mine throughout my cycle and it fluctuates a lot! The only time you should be worried about it is at O time. If at this time it is below 4 you should be concerned.

HTH's

wow this is very interesting - im going to add it to my long long list of Q to ask at our next appointment

Mel - thanks for telling of your experience - now i know how they do the 'post coital test'.. lol .... i'll add it to the list of questions for my FS.
    Tanya - the pH strips sound interesting.... are they available from a chemist? I hadn't heard of them, so great to know, and i'll try and pick some up. Thanks ladies!

The internet would be the easiest place to find them

thanks so much for posting this question - I am currently wondering this too. My nathapath said the same thing - she has got me drinking apple cider vinegar diluted in water 3 times a day, along with grapefruit juice to drink once a day.
    I have also started using Preseed - do you think this will help with balancing out levels?

i have just had a quick look at Ph strips - one website mentions it tests saliva -what should we be testing for this purpose? Salvia or CM?? would it be realiable? I do not have an appointment with FS until Feb but do not want to wait that long.....

what foods have your nathapath told you to totally avoid??

Test your CM. You can test your saliva and urine too, but you are wanting to know what the pH of the environment you are wanting the sperm to survive in.

thanks Tanya - so you test your CM with these PH sticks? shall we test around Ovulation time? Seems an obvious question - sorry but just wondering if this is what you did.

In my investigation cycle of IVF I did a post coital test. From memory this was around ovulation.

so is this anything like the NK cells?

Hi pitapat - you've had a name change from loula right? Pitapat is a sweet name! What are NK cells?

Runnermum, i googled "alkaline foods" or something along those lines, and found alot of info on acidic/alkaline forming foods.... i can't find the pages i printed off at the mo, as havn't unpacked them from our moving house! I might grab some apple cider vinegar and give that a try also!

blizzy Guest

This is defintally something i will be discussing with my FS at next appointment.

Default Off topic!!

Hi all - sorry I realise this post is off topic for this thread!!

I'm posting here because trying to get a message to runnermum - I couldn't figure out how to send her a private message, but I can see she's posted to this thread recently. I've been lurking/searching posts here for a while and identify with a lot of what runnermum has said regarding doctors and how they approach the treatment of people that exercise to a higher level. If runnermum is reading this, or someone knows how to get a message to her, I'd really like to talk to her about looking for an obstetrician (hopefully I'll need one soon!!!!), and how she dealt with doctors that are "exercise-phobic"

Thanks!

Tish
    Recovering from her last triathlon for a while, hopefully.....
    Last edited by Tish; January 13th, 2008 at 02:13 PM.

Tish you can post a message for her in the messages for members forum....

theresep - my GF had the same thing apparently she had a very high ph and it was killing the little guys. the naturopath gave her a alkaline powder to drink each day it took her 2months on this for her to fall pregnant after a year of trying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast