Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: too acidic for sperm to survive?

wow, i had a surprise to see this thread again! Thanks for the info on the alkaline powder treena217, i'll see if i can source any. tp

You can also buy PH strips from the Pet Shop

Alkaline anything is supposed to be brilliant. I'm gonna look into that powder now.

I'm drinking pineapple juice as it's on the alkaline - boy diet and I'm drinking lots around ovulation.

goodluck girls.

I will actively keep an eye on this thread. Even though i am currently undergoing ovulation induction with injections i wonder if this could also be part of my problem. Do any of you girls know where to buy these tests and also if you are testing your cm, how do you go about doing so?I know this will require maybe a lot of in depth information,so sorry in advance for the tmi warning....
    Thanks Pauline

Hi Pollyanna - i'm off to town today, so will be trying to source some pH strips, and alkaline powder - will let you know how i go.
    As for the mucus checking, this info is in a book i have: "The easiest routine is to check the mucus on each visit to the toilet. Some mucus is collected on the fingertips. Keep a record of the colour, amount and texture of the mucus"

It goes into more detail, but thought i'd keep it simple for now! I have two very good books, on woman's health and conception, i can give you the names if you like.

Best wishes, tp.

dear theresep,
    i was wondering how you went today with youp ph sourcing?
    AS for the ph testing, are you testing you urine,saliva or cm. I wo der if you get the same results no matter how you test.?Because i read somewhere that it was the cm you had to test?

Hi girls
    Hope you dont mind me adding my 2 cents, i study naturopathy and have been to a few conferences on fertility stuff and a big one is candida (aka thrush) a lady i know who has had excellent success with homoeopathic FT uses a very basic candida diet which you can google or pm me and ill give you the low down (hers is very basic which i like some get very complicated), there are plenty about but you basically avoid anything that ferments fruit, fruit juices, beer and wine, mushrooms and anything with yeast. You dont necessarily have to have active thrush to cause a problem and i dont know for sure but i think it causes a pH problem as well. Oh if those little spermies werent so tempremental, they talk about us being fussy

Hi pollyanna - had to order the pH strips, and they are ones that test your saliva - not sure if the different testing methods give differing results or not
    I also picked up a product called liquid chlorophyll, which is an internal cleanser and tonic, derived from alfalfa - and i know that alfalfa is very alkaline - so thought i'd give it a go ... it was $15, so thought that wouldn't break the budget! A naturopath at the chemist was advising me, so that was helpful ... although she wasn't too certain about "alkaline powder".
    Scooby - i'll pm you about the low yeast diet - sounds like it would be good to know about.
    Best wishes, tp

I had a post coitle test during our long "unexplained" period of infertility. Highly acidic. I did change my diet, but without any luck.

I also read (on a US site) about raw egg white being alkaline and also the right fluidity/ph to help the swimmers along.

The one and only time we braved the use of raw egg white was when we finally concieved successfuly with Olivia.

Not sure if that helps anyone, but it may be worth looking into, if you can stomach it.

Lucy x

Wow - raw egg white .... well i guess nothing ventured, nothing gained hey?? I'm brave enough to give it a go .... wonder if DH will be keen!! Can't wait to see the look on his face when i suggest it!!
    Wonderful to hear that you had success Lucy!

tp x

I have to tell you.......my DH made "chok chook" noises as I was "inserting" it, and it was a fairly dud shag (sorry to be crude, LOL!) but well worth the ick factor to have finally fallen pg and gone on to have Olivia. (And after that, all my fertility issues seemed to disappear......Charlie and Lexie followed and their conceptions were quick and easy.)

Lucy x

Looked into the yeast/ candida thing again and the reason its not good is because it reduces the "stringyness" (if thats a word) of the CM and the sperm use the stringy mucous to "climb up" into the cervix, hope that made sense. I guess its good if you are doing OI or natural cycles, but wont make much difference for other AC.

Hi theresep,
    Just wondering if you have done your ph test yet and what results you got?
    I'm happy to give the egg white a go, the only thing is it defantasizes(if thats a word)the whole dtd process and makes it more of a chore rather than something fun.

Hi again pollyanna - sorry, but no news for a few more days ... the test strips have arrived at the pharmacy, but i forgot to pick them up while i was in town yesterday ! As i live 1/2 hour from town, prob won't get them until next week!
    As for the egg white ... yeah, it could be an interesting experience ... guess we'll have to try and make it fun ! I've also ordered a product called 'pre-seed' ... figure i may as well try everything on my next cycle!! tp

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    I had a post coitle test during our long "unexplained" period of infertility. Highly acidic. I did change my diet, but without any luck.

I also read (on a US site) about raw egg white being alkaline and also the right fluidity/ph to help the swimmers along.

The one and only time we braved the use of raw egg white was when we finally concieved successfuly with Olivia.

Not sure if that helps anyone, but it may be worth looking into, if you can stomach it.

Lucy x
    I'm ditching the spermicide this cycle and doing THIS!!!!!

I was going to do this a while back, I am now though after reading this. WISH Me luck ..... we will be bed dancing next week.

Lisa XO

Lisa........best of luck. I have heard so many anecdotal stories of the success of raw egg white. Worth a try!

Update on the pH strips .... the pharmacy couldn't get them in after all! But, they pointed me to a web site, where i can order some myself, and they post them out.
    Hope it's ok to leave the web address? It is vitalityplusaustralia.com.au They also have some info on the strips, and you can either use your saliva, or urine to test. HTH some of you. tp

Tish - sorry I am overseas ATM - going home today.

I just saw your post and will hopefully talk to you soon if I see a post on this topic of athletes and IVF.

Hi runnermum

Have replied over in the other thread! Have a good flight.

T

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12