Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Top 10 things you don't want to hear ...

Here are two I got from my dad this afternoon....

Patience is a virtue

Good things come to those who wait

OMG the cliches are killing me LOL!

LOL- My mum who's been very supportive and the only person ive told im doing ivf asked if I got pregnant would I have the baby in a normal hospital or a special hospital for IVF babies- bless her!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

My worse comment was from my BIL-to-be when my sister was pg

"I'm so virile I could get her pregnant without trying"

From my parents;

"you can stop trying now we've got another grandchild coming"

To my DH:

"you knew she had problems when you married her, so you've just got to accept it, or else you shouldn't have married her"

from my mother (early on):

"the church believes that IVF is against God's rules"

Again from my mother:

"you have no right to be depressed about this, you're lucky to have had children at all"

From my best friend:

"God works in mysterious ways, and if he wanted you to have a baby, he would have given one to you"

And one of the things I discussed with my sister (who was pg the entire time I was undergoing IVF) was that she was constantly told by my parents not to talk about her pg, her baby, touch her tummy, mention anything to do with babies/children/pregnancy in my presence. She spent her entire pg stilted and uncomfortable around me.

I think that hurt the most. I told her (when we recently talked about it) that there were days I couldn't cope with seeing her, and those were the days I tended to beg off family outings. I missed my mother's Easter lunch because of it. But when I did see her, I didn't want to be treated like a pariah, or her to have to pretend like she didn't have this huge pg belly. I now know why she acted so strangely around me whenever I asked after her pg, and why she quickly changed the subject.

I do think you can be senstive to a LTer while still being able to discuss your pg and baby. I think the trick is to make sure that you give them the 'out' if they don't want to see you, or can't cope with it right now.

I can top that

A work collegue who i was close too( but not anymore Thank God) just found out she was preg and told other work collegues except me- because they knew I was trying. I knew that she was preg but didnt say anything and she said too me at lunch one day

" I think im my way to a FS because I think im infertile and won't fall preg till im 40"
    SHE WAS PREGNANT AT THE TIME!!!!!!!

What the HELL is wrong with people?????? was that a jab at me or trying to cover up her preg or just plain stupid. Needless to say I dont speak to her anymore and the friendship has ceased!

Niiice Kim

Ok that one definitely tops it!

Kim, I think that one wins over all!

The worst one I've ever heard of was one that was said to a friend. She took 18 months and clomid to get her BFP, and a friend was talking to her about the process of trying for their second... "I know how you feel now, this waiting is hell" That was her first cycle of trying!

BW

Yikes that was a bad one, but Sushee had some good ones ... I mean bad ones too. I am so glad my parents have been great and I don't really have in-laws.

Heather

I had a friend who we went out to dinner with...she started crying when she told us of her disappointment of the gender of her child...

Now...I'm not saying that her disappointment was wrong...that's a personal issue...

But crying in front of us...a couple who at that stage were yet to conceive (it took 3 years)...I just thought was a bit tough...

David_R Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sushee View Post
    My worse comment was from my BIL-to-be when my sister was pg

"I'm so virile I could get her pregnant without trying"
    We had a version of that - a loudmouth friend of the family told everyone around the family BBQ that

"I just have to look at my wife to get her pregnant"

My wife had trouble keeping it together, so I replied:

"That's because you're a d-ckhead".

(apologies for the language, but that is the single best comeback to that statement ever.)

Everyone cracked up laughing and it was the last we heard about his 'virility'. It was one occasion where we actually felt like we'd been on the winning end of one of those exchanges for once.

nice work David!!! definitely the right answer to that one!

My Mum said (in one of her less than smart moments) - if you didn't look on the internet so much it wouldn't be a problem. What?!?!? Infertility is knowledge / internet related?????

Quote Originally Posted by David_R View Post
    "I just have to look at my wife to get her pregnant"

My wife had trouble keeping it together, so I replied:

"That's because you're a d-ckhead".
    Will definitely be keeping that one in mind!

BW

Nice one David

From my best friend when our IVF cycle failed, and I was expressing to her my concern at when my period would arrive and how i knew that our babies were coming out (sorry TMI)
    "Oh Leis, they are only cells, how can you get attatched to them"
    or
    from a doctor at work to me ..
    "You do know how to make a baby don't you?"
    "Yes my husband masturbates into a cup, they put my egg and his sperm into a petrie dish, wait a few days and hey presto, whack it back into me and hope, pray and think 24/7 is this going to work or what"

Leis x

I like the good comebacks !! Hey maybe we should list some mild, medium, and hot comebacks for different comments. Davids comeback was in the Hot category and Leis you's too. Yet a good mild or medium comeback for a nice yet too nosey MIL or friend would be great.... Ok I have pen in hand and ready to take notes.

Heather

Hi, I'm new here.

My husband and I have been TTC for nearly 2 years now. I had my first IUI treatment last month. At 7dpo we went to our friends house for a bbq where our female host (who falls preg at the drop of a hat!)asked if my husband and I had talked about what we would do if we couldn't have children, perhaps it would help my emotions if we faced up to this possiblilty and so on. I was gobsmacked!! I told her straight out that that was the last thing I needed to think about. But she still went on to lecture me that there are many only things that could fulfill our life other than children, it really would just be a matter of us changing our priorities. Needless to say the night did not end well and we went home early.

David,

just wanted to say that your comeback was a classic, and I probably wouldn't have remotely thought of something quite that clever!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast