Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: Trying to Conceive with IUI #3

Default Warming the guys up

Shades, defrosting the swimmers in one's pocket hardly seems like a controlled environment!!! Our guys are presented to us in a test tube, personally walked in by the scientist. Often our IUI is delayed because the scientist is still messing around with the sample. Our guys are the best of our donor's bunch. When he's made his deposit, they are placed in a recepticle with culture medium at the top. The fastest and strongest swim into the culture medium and are caught there. The culture medium is skimmed off the top and the rest is disgarded. Where a bloke usually deposits 20 - 50mls, we end up with 10ml of super swimmers.

Diamond, since you're using a fresh sample from your husband on the day, what's you're experience of the sample prep?

OP.

OP - are you using a local donor or a US Xytex donor? I can't remember... I was told that only the donors with the highest mobile sperm count (pre- and post-thawing) are used in the first place at Xytex, so it's just a matter of defrosting the vial... I haven't really asked for more info than that to be honest.

Default Thawing

Shades, we do use a local donor - one of the last in NSW as I understand it.

I'm over at the clinic tomorrow so I'll ask the midwives some questions and see if I can't get some extra information about the thawing process.

As to quality - my lesbian Aunt simply got a friend to hand her a jar, so the cleansing process our samples go through isn't compulsory!! And it sure doesn't happen in a "natural" setting, does it? I think in a clinical environment it's mainly to a) screen for disease and b) improve the odds for fertilisation/eliminate negative influencing factors.

:-)
    OP.

Antgirl Guest

Well only one day left, no AF yet, have had slight cramping since Monday, but no sign that AF is coming usually I have a couple of days before were I am positive I am getting it, breasts are still sore and swollen, but who knows right. Part of me doesn't want to have the test tomorrow only because I am scared.

With regards to the sperm, my husband dropped his sample off and then we collected it 2 hours later after they had prepared it(exactly like what OP mentioned) we were told not to keep it at body temp, but room temp, apparently that has recently changed. Our clinic is very strict we have to have phot id taken and show our driver's licence and we hand the sample directly to the sciencetist and collect directly from the sciencetist after he has confirmed you are and look like the picture they have taken off you.

I don't really drink any coffee usually so that has not been hard for me to give up, but I do like coke (yes I know it is bad but I can't help it), so I have given up that.

Anyway hope you all have a good rest of today

OP - I was told that the reason why our IUI sperm is 'washed' is because it is put directly into the uterus, it contains hormones which cause severe cramping... home attempts with sperm in a jar are only intervaginal, not interuterine, so the washing isn't required.

Default Sperm Preparation

Hi Guys,

Hubby give a fresh sample, we are instructed to keep it at room temperature, then drop off at the scientists. They 'wash' the sperm, turn it into super sperm is how my FS described it. Off memory they explained it that wash the sperm so all the high quality ones remain, so there is a better chance of success. I have not heard anything about it taking hormones out to reduce cramping though. Then they bring the sample for me to sight, I sign for it and then the procedure goes ahead. I do not handle it all after given to the scientists.

OP - no AF yet!! This is great news. Fingers crossed evil AF will stay away. Will you get a b/t tomorrow at the clinic?

AntGirl _ i understand your trepidation re: results. It can be a very nervous time and mixed emotions are normal. If pos, you will be the happiest! But if neg.... well at least you will have an answer either way, instead of this horrible limbo that is the tww.

Thanks everyone for info on coffee. I normally only have 1 cup of tea a day, a half strength latte on the odd occasion. In between given up alcohol, my gym classes and all the ttc stress, my tea/cofffee is also a comfort for me. I would hate to have to give everything up.

AFM - only 2 days left till b/t. The wait is killing me. Most symptons have gone. Not feeling very positive, trying to relax and be patient.

Good Morning Girls,

Just a quick note to say good luck for today Antgirl. I hope you get your BFP today!!

I hope everyone else is travelling ok.

Default No hormones in semen

Shades,

There are no hormones in semen. And there should be no cramping IUI unless it's done incorrectly.

We're off to the clinic. Still no AF for me. I'll be floored if this is how it happens for me. All that watching for symptoms like a buzzard on a fence, and when it really happens there's nothing!
    Update: At our clinic they wash the sperm before it's frozen - they wash it twice. When they thaw it they take it out of the CO2 and bring it to room temperature by sitting the straw in a stand. In winter they put it in a warm water bath. They look at it under the microscope to see if it's still alive. Then they add an accelerant to make the guys swim faster. So there you go - that's the story of our sperm.

Either that or withdrawal from the drugs has thrown me into early menopause!!

Diamond, I'm not religious, but I'm praying for you darlin'!

Update: They made me do a BT. We get the results after 3.00pm.

OP.
    Last edited by OriginalP; December 4th, 2008 at 10:29 AM.

OMG OP - My heart just skipped a beat for you. Extra extra good luck for today - imagine if you get your BFP!! How incredible will that be!!

Thanks for your good wishes, but I am pretty sure I am out this month. Ive had weird cramping, which now feels like AF cramps. And am very bloated. So pretty sure AF is on her way. Hoping I am wrong but we will soon see I guess.

Will be waiting anxiously to hear from you both OP and Antgirl today...

Popping in to say Hello to everyone - wishing OP a great appointment with your FS - and I am religious, so I just said a little prayer for us all -

Antgirl - thinking of you today and hoping you get a BFP

Diamond - One Day - I cant believe it - how exciting

Shades - Hi

AFM - Getting the results today of my second Prog test, I arranged it via GP - so I hope its rising ..

Oh what a day in the IUI group today .........

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalP View Post
    There are no homrones in semen. And there should be no cramping IUI unless it's done incorrectly.
    My mistake - it's the prostaglandins that they wash out, that can cause cramping. But yeah - there would only be cramping with the IUI if the semen wasn't washed completely. I only had cramps with my first one, the FS said that's prob what caused it. Coulda been the doc too - I didn't like his manner.

Good luck for your BFPs everyone - I'm finding this to be the slowest TWW ever...

Default Clinics

Shades, I am really wishing you'd get a new clinic. I don't think these people are taking good enough care of you. You shouldn't have to go through this treatment with anybody whose manner you don't like.

Our IVF FS was a cold fish - I cried my eyes out one time and wished we'd never have to see him again. Then two of our embryos died and our last transfer was unsuccessful, and we didn't have to see him again. Spooky.

My point is, I reckon you need women to look after you. Not men. I've found our midwives so much more caring than the male doctors we've dealt with.

It's your body, your very expensive donor, and your future baby. Don't let those folks manhandle you lovely.

:-)
    OP.

Default Fluke

Well, I said somebody in here needed a BFP to give everybody else hope. I didn't believe for a second it would be me.

But it is!!!!

My clinic just rang with our BT results. Prog 87. hCG 175. We have a BFP!!!

Notes: I had coffee every work day. I had ****tails at the Xmas part last weekend. I stopped taking my vitamins. I have no symptoms other than I think my face looks a bit puffy.

I am floored. We're beside ourselves. We have to go back for another BT next Thursday. We can't talk to anybody until Feb 5, so you girls are the only people I can shoot my mouth off to.

My fingers are crossed for everybody else. Big hugs to you all!!!

OP.

Default OP is UTD

OMG ... OP what a wonderful wonderful surprise

I cant believe it -

I have to read back now over your threads and remember - Oh Yes an IUI with no Pregnyl -

Your so clever - and you so deserve this wonderful news - you are so helpfull and caring - your going to be a wonderful mum

Did I say - OMG !!!! I cant believe it

Hip Hip Horray ..... OP got a today

OMG Op!!!

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I am so happy for you and Hubby. You deserve this so much. Looks like the natural cycle is just what you needed. You have been such a great support and strength during my IUI cycles, I cant explain how happy I am for you.

I hope you have a very happy and healthy pregnancy and good luck for the coming 8 months ahead

omg OP........

Congrats xxxxxxxxx wishing you all the best for a happy and healthy pregnancy.

AFM: Had BT and scan today waiting until 230 when i can ring for my results but i think the scan was good!

BBL to update

xxBella

Default Can't believe it

Thanks girls! I'm still totally shocked! How about that HPT, eh? You DO get false negatives afterall - it's not just an urban myth.

Apparently the girls at our clinic were in shock and were crying. God bless them - this is as much their baby as ours. Especially the midwife that did the IUI this month. She's had such a hard year personally and she has been so sad. But she was the one that did our previous good IUI - she had magic even if she didn't feel it. She wasn't there today so I can't wait for her to hear the news.

From the mud grows the lotus.

My fingers are crossed for all of you with BTs due.

Love & Light,
    OP.

OP - I am being a "dates" stalker here ..

When was your Last AF ?? - b/c if your day 21 was the 25th Nov - that means your day 30 today -
    now being selfish and bringing it back to me (just for a minute) because it's your day today .. why cant they give me a BT before the 12/12 -

My last AF was the 9th - and I had IUI on the 24th Nov - I would Like a HCG BT before the 12th - like you .. am I making any sense ?

PS - Congrats again

its 2.26 - Bella - cant wait to hear your news as well - Then D tommorow - OMG -

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast