Thread: Job interview tomorrow - should I tell?

Default Job interview tomorrow - should I tell?

I'm 10 weeks pregnant, and have a job interview tomorrow as DH and I really need the money.

What I was wondering is should I tell the employer at the interview that I'm pregnant? I want to be honest (plus, they'll find out in a few months anyway), but I'm worried that by telling them I'll lose my chances of getting the job. Has anyone else had this problem? What should I do?

you're under no obligation to tell an employer you're pregnant - particularly if there is nothing in the workplace that is in any way dangerous to you or your bub during pregnancy. they can't discriminate against you based on a pregnancy - so if you tell them, they'll find another reason to not employ you. not meaning to be blunt or negative, but i guess you need to go into it thinking worst case - if something were to happen - and you've given information that has done you out of a job you need, only to find that you're not pregnant a few weeks down that track... (and no, i'm not trying to be negative - just putting a different spin on it) - when you're looking for a job, don't disclose anything about pregnancy - you're not obliged to tell an employer until much later in pregnancy anyway

good luck with your interview

depends what the job is.. if its a office job at a comp all day i wouldnt bother just yet. if it was something that could strain u and involve heavy lifting i would tell them so they know what u can and cant do. Even tho as BG they cant discriminate against u they will. Thats what people do and thats reality. More often then not they wont see u as being incapable, but they will see that its a waste of time training u if ur going to leave in 8 or so months. Meaning more cost to them training someone else. Im not trying to put a dampner on ur situation, im just getting u to see reality and what happens in the good ol employment world.

At the end of the day its ur baby and ur decision who u tell.

HTH

You dont have to tell as it is against the law for them not to hire you on that basis!
    So i wouldnt tell. After a few weeks (or months) when you are ready to tell them then try. They cant fire you, stop you from attending training or diadvantage you in anyway for the pregnancy and if they do then they are up for alot of trouble in the antidiscrimnation laws.

In my personal experience, i was 10 weeks pregnant at my job interview but i knew that my pregnancy would not effect my chances of the job (casual position) and also it was important for them to know for work related risks.

since working - my coworkers are aware of my pregnancy and they are really good with helping me out and giving me suitable clients to my condition (lol condition). I still can attend training and no have not been discriminated against.

i hope the interview goes well.

Personally I wouldn't tell them yet - even thought it is against the law to discriminate on the basis of pregnancy, they can and may well use another reason for not hiring you, but really it is just the pregnancy that is the issue. I'm still yet to tell my managers that I'm pregnant as I'm still on probation and they could easily turn around and tell me I'm not needed anymore, with the pregnancy being the underlying issue (of course they won't say that!) HTH and good luck xox

Thanks everyone. It's an office job, so I won't tell them. If I'm hired, great - and I'll deal with telling them later. Just need to get through the interview... eek!

YA to not telling women are discriminated enough as it is

Did anyone see the section on paid maternity leave on the Sunrise program this morning

Nat should have got stuck into the guy (can't remember his name) after his comment about hard to go back to work for men can loose job in industry. Nat pointed out that see also had the same problems after her baby but the idiot did not understand that said women where better suited to raising children - are we still in the 1900's please

KeithCheggers Guest

Hi
    I don't think I would.
    My partner and I were interviewed the same day by the same people for different jobs at the same company, oddly enough he was asked no questions about his plans to start a family but I was. I was quite vague, I said I was hoping to buy a house first... I'm also hoping to win the lottery first! I only stayed there for a couple of months but was also asked about my plans for a family in the job I'm at now and said the same.
    I have just under 2 months of my probationary period left (6 months in total) and am now 7 weeks pregnant. I'm waiting to tell anyone at work until this date has passed, that's the plan anyway.
    Good luck with what happens
    Vicky

I actually was in that situation too and i did not tell my potential boss at the interview - however once i had been working there a few weeks i told her that ihad just found out ( i was about 11 weeks) and she was really cool with it and when it came time to have bub i was given as much time as i wanted off and she covered me with temps - I took 3 months off and then went back and expressed etc I was working only 1 day a week prior to bub and now do 2-3 and i asked my boss the other day why she was so flexible for me and she said that she probably wouldnt have given me the job if i had come announcing my pregnancy but once she had me there and knew how good i was at my job , she was willing to so whatever to keep me. (I should have asked for a pay rise then!)

Good luck and jut do what feels right to you at the time - i HATE lying but really wanted the job!