Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Teachers-when to take leave???

Called and found out today, you were right mrsmac. It's gotta be without a break, so I'm not entitled to anything Will just have to hope that government maternity pay was introduced with the budget, or they bring it in before December! It was a maybe with the budget. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Lisa xx

Hi Sim,
    Thanks for posting some very useful information. I know it was a while ago but it is still useful.
    I'm just wondering about this holiday leave/maternity leave and how it works as we are trying to fall pregnant at the moment. I work in NSW as a primary school teacher and am teaching kindy this year.
    If all goes well I will be due at the earliest 30th Dec 2008 which is school holidays (fingers, legs and everything else crossed).
    Would this mean I could finish the year with my class and work up until the last day of term 4 and then start my maternity leave on the 27th Jan 2009 (first day school goes back next year) or would I have to put in maternity leave from the EDD?
    I am hoping I can take advantage of having the 5 and a half weeks paid holiday leave plus the 14 weeks paid maternity leave after that.
    Your help is very much appreciated.

You have to start leave before the baby is born in NSW.

14 weeks paid leave I wish we where all this lucky

bethany3003 Guest

Default Maternity leave

Hi there everyone,

I need some urgent advice. As I am extremely stressed at the moment!

I am also a teacher, currently teaching k/1, in an isoslated rural school. I am currently 35 weeks pregnant (nearly 36 weeks) and have been feeling fantastic up until today when I had a big blue with the principal. I'm not due to go on leave, until I am 38 weeks, which is 2 and a half weeks away. Last term I asked my principal if I could use some of my incentive leave (which I get for working in an isoslated school in NSW) to travel to a friend's wedding. The leave I required is on the Monday and Friday before my maternity leave starts. My principal had not confirmed with me whether he was able to get a casual for the days I wanted off, so I asked him about it again today. He basically told me I was rude and incosiderate for wanting to take leave just before my maternity leave starts. Unfortunately, my friend is having a shot gun wedding, because she too, has fallen pregnant and wants to get married before she has the baby. So I didn't get much notice, otherwise I would have taken maternity 1 week earlier. In addition, to calling me rude he also questioned my priorities as a mother to be, going away three weeks before the baby is to born. Which I had already checked with OB and he said, as long as we had plently of stops I should be fine. In the end, he basically told me that if I wanted the time off, I have to amend my maternity leave and start it now. I have felt physically sick and have had diarrhoea since leaving his office this morning and don't want to go back to work now becuase he was so horrible to me and has made me feel uncomfortable and unwelcome at work. What do you think I should do? There is no one I can talk to at work because there are only three teachers in the school and one of them is an older lady who thinks I should have stopped working at 30 weeks.

I replied to this and its vanished Here goes again!
    I think you should take your mat leave now to get away from this guy! He is very lucky that you have been good enough to stay this long he should be making it easier for you not adding pressure and stress.

leave NOW enjoy yourself you don't need this kind of crap

if your a good teacher look for another job when you are ready to go back to work, don't let them take control........ sorry employers most of the time are idiots

Bethany, I'm also in a western district school and they've been very supportive. I can't believe what an ass your principal has been to you! You have every right to take your personal incentive leave days, you'll lose them if you don't because they don't accrue. If he can't find a casual, then the class gets split until he does. It's not a biggie. Are you in the Riverina region? Ring staffing in Griffith. Oh your principal deserves a big boot up his whatsit.
    Hope you were able to get somethng sorted since you posted.

can someone help me. I just found out im pregnant, 7 weeks. I will be due 1st March 2009. I am a highschool teacher working in NSW private school. This is my first baby so i know zilch about maternity leave. Im thinking of stop working at the end of term 4. Does this mean i will get 6 weeks holiday pay AND 14 weeks maternity? are holidays counted or not. Confused by some of the posts above.

In the public system it would be better for you to take mat leave from Day one of term1 next year so that the holidays are not counted as part of it. Not sure about the private system.

Hi !!!

I'm a Victorian teacher, and I'm after any info on maternity leave(?)

I'm currently a contract teacher, and I've been told that due to the new agreement I'll be made ongoing in the next 8 weeks when staffing for next year is worked out.

If something happens and I'm not made ongoing, my contract (3yr) will run out in Dec. I'm due in Feb. Would I have any entitlements to mat leave if this is the case?

I've looked at department and HR websites, but I'd love some first hand info from people who've taken mat leave recently....

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sakoon View Post
    can someone help me. I just found out im pregnant, 7 weeks. I will be due 1st March 2009. I am a highschool teacher working in NSW private school. This is my first baby so i know zilch about maternity leave. Im thinking of stop working at the end of term 4. Does this mean i will get 6 weeks holiday pay AND 14 weeks maternity? are holidays counted or not. Confused by some of the posts above.
    Hi Sakoon, I am in a similar boat to you but work in the public system. I am due the 27th February 2009. I spoke to employee services about leave last week. I am taking leave as of the 27th January 2009 (the first day that school returns) so that I can take advantage of the 6wks paid holidays over Christmas/New Year. This way I will actually finish work at 30 wks (I teach kindy so am very happy about this)! I am going to take the 28wks half pay (I will still get full pay for the April and July school holidays as these fall in this period) and take advantage of the lower tax rate.

So in answer to your question....Yes u will get 6wks holiday pay and then 14 wks maternity pay if you take leave as of the first day of term 1 2009.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Just another question for everyone....

How many days a week did you work when you went back after maternity leave and what were your experiences like with job sharing?? Can you select someone you would like to job share with?

I went back 3 days a week and job shared with the person of my choice but I don't think principals have to let you chose as I know one woman who had her job share person chosen for her. Having said that in term 4 of the year I came back my boss made me share with a girl coming off mat leave who wanted 2 days a week so I had to change who I shared with which I hated. My boss also hates job shares but has to let us do it legally.
    Its very important you get on well with the person you share with as it makes ahuge difference to the whole experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BLBG View Post
    Hi !!!

I'm a Victorian teacher, and I'm after any info on maternity leave(?)

I'm currently a contract teacher, and I've been told that due to the new agreement I'll be made ongoing in the next 8 weeks when staffing for next year is worked out.

If something happens and I'm not made ongoing, my contract (3yr) will run out in Dec. I'm due in Feb. Would I have any entitlements to mat leave if this is the case?

I've looked at department and HR websites, but I'd love some first hand info from people who've taken mat leave recently....

Thanks!
    Also, when I move from contract to ongoing, - would this count as continuous service? (hope that makes sense...)

Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by AliBaby View Post
    So in answer to your question....Yes u will get 6wks holiday pay and then 14 wks maternity pay if you take leave as of the first day of term 1 2009.

Hope this helps and good luck!
    thanks for your post. yes i have been asking my teacher friends and they are pretty sure that i will get the 6 weeks and 14 weeks maternity leave. Thats great, good timing for me.

In Vic, I'm required to take 6 weeks before the bub in born....the first 2 of the 6 weeks will be in the Christmas hols, - which is a bummer!
    Has anyone had a similar situation?
    If I'm able to 'work' ie taking four weeks pre bub, all I need to do is get a cert from my Dr stating that I am still fit to work, but when it's in my hols, I'm figuring this isn't an option...
    Can anyone please pretty please shed any light on this?
    I know condition vary alot from state to state, so if any one has any info in Vic, that would be fab!
    Many thanks!

Oh bummer BLBG... I'mpretty certain that you have to either work the first day of term 1 2009, or else your Prin can put in your leave as of that date. Problem is if you are actually due a week or so later that could put them in a tricky position. I had a similar thing happen with Iz where I left on the last day of term 1 2007, and my mat leave began officially on the first day of term 2 2008. As it was only 2 weeks difference my prin could enter in the system with no hassles.
    To make sure of your options I would be calling the union to find out. Good luck with it!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast