Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When did you/are you taking Maternity leave?

I was 38 weeks.. only did it because we needed the money, but the last few weeks were abo****e hell. I was so tired, so pregnant, needed to go to the bathroom every second minute and my feet and ankles were like balloons. If i was to do it again i would stop at 36 weeks i think..

I'm a full time student (studing nursing) and work as a assistant as nurse...
    I had to give up work at 3months due to complications... But my uni keeps me occupied~I finish uni in 2 weeks - i'll be 23weeks. And start back up again when i'm 38weeks... Hmm we'll see about that one~

Quote Originally Posted by Danni View Post
    wow!! I was going to leave at 30 but now my boss has told me I have no job after the 22 week mark. I cant see anyone hiring a pregnant woman so I guess Ill be finished at 22 weeks.
    Danni, how come you won't have a job? They are NOT allowed to sack you because you are preggers! What do you do? Is it dangerous for you and the baby?

Quote Originally Posted by DueMar5th View Post
    I'm a full time student (studing nursing) But my uni keeps me occupied~I finish uni in 2 weeks - i'll be 23weeks. And start back up again when i'm 38weeks... Hmm we'll see about that one~
    Can you adjust your work load so you don't have any practical's next year? I know several girls at Uni (nursing) who have done this. Otherwise you could defer a year? I know a girl whose EDD is the day of her last exam!

Hello. I will be 23 weeks on Saturday and because my job is very physical I am changing to safer duties from Monday which will be full time (40hrs/week) and will start leave at 35 weeks. I think it really depends on your job and health.

Mother goose - Luckly i won't have any prac next year (i went part time this year and did it this year) i only have 2 classes next year, which is good because that means i only have to be at uni for 6-10 hours a week~ so i not away from my bubs for too long~

Percy Guest

I'm finishing up on December 15 - I'll be 32 weeks. I'm due Feb 10 so with Christmas and NY holidays it doesn't make much sense for me to be there after Christmas for a few days in Jan (our office closes between Christmas and NY). PLus my mum will be over here for Christmas arriving on the 16th so I was always going to be on holidays that week!

Can't wait! 31 more work days left!!!

chuckles Guest

I'll be working up till a week before the due date maybe the same week i'm due - work is pretty flexible - i work 2 -3 days per week. I've already had my job offered back to me whenever i feel like returning - soon the better the boss has said.

Such a different attitude compared to previous bosses where pregnancy was a disease!!!

I have just finished. I was due to work until next thursday (32w6d) but am a nurse and it was just too much. Feels wierd not to be a worker but I'm sure I'll get used to it pronto!! I think it's just the transition time between finishing work and bubs arriving!!
    Last edited by Shezabelle; November 4th, 2006 at 09:59 AM. Reason: nappy brain

i worked behind a computer so thought i would be right to work up until 37weeks.
    I only made it to 33weeks, left work on the Thursday (before Easter break) and never returned! (had Nixon on easter monday)
    when i tried to asked to use up my sick days (because wasnt due to be on maternity leave yet) i was told i couldnt because i had already had my baby so therfore started maternity leave. (had i still been sitting in hospital pregnant i could have)
    I am on 12months leave now but hopefully wont have to go back there (worked for 7yrs there but really over it)
    So i didnt get to have any time between leaving work and being a mum. Although a positive side of Nixon being in hospital was i got to recover from my c/s & ready to takle it all by the time he came home.

I'm officially leaving when I'm 32 weeks but I'd be amazed if I don't go back in for a few hours here and there over the next few weeks getting everybody organised. I wear two hats so I've got a fair few duties to dish out!

I just put in my maternity leave application today. I told them I would be working up until 15/02, which is about 4 weeks before bub is due.
    I dont want to work too late incase bub decided to come early, but I also dont want to leave too early as we could really use the extra money.

My maternity leave starts when I'm 38 and a half weeks pregnant - although I'm taking holiday now, so have been on leave since 34w. If it weren't for Christmas and that being a natural leaving time, or for me having 17 days holiday to take, I would be leaving at 37w.

I'm planning on work until 38 weeks. I have a desk job and a really short trip to work so I'm hoping it will be OK. I had most of last year off work as a full time student so I really need the money!

I'm the same as you Jule. I'm working to 38 weeks and my work at the moment is mostly at the desk. I have to travel 45 min to work but my hospital is about a 5 sec walk from work - literally! Plus I'm only working 2 days a week at the moment Plus, with all the time off I've had to take for Uni this year I really need the money!

Kirsty77 Guest

I went on maternity leave early both times. My job is very physical and when pregnant with Gemma my BP went sky high at 20wks so I left at 23 wks and with Jasmine my bp was perfect but I left at 24 wks and just as well as I had major gallbladder attacks!!

I went on maternity leave at 37 weeks on 1 December and had Charly on the Sunday. Think she was waiting for me to totally relax, not that I was doing to much at work and was doing half days when possible.

I have taken a year off but will see about going back part time around October, depending on baby.

I'm going to start my maternity leave at 36 wks. I have a desk job, in air conditioning, so won't have a problem with the work side of things. But the travel is starting to get to me - I have a 45min train trip followed by a 15 min walk (in business attire, in the middle of Summer) so I'm exhausted by the time I actually arrive at work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast