Thread: How do *you* cook salmon fillets/steaks?

Cool How do *you* cook salmon fillets/steaks?

I bought 2 skinless salmon fillets on the weekend, and am wondering what to do with them. i have only ever had them when I go out to eat, and have never cooked fish before (yes its true!) so don't know what to do.

We do it 2 ways so far

Smear it with garlic, add a dollop of butter, a slice of lemon and a sprig of parsley, wrap it up in foil and bbq it.

Or, roll it in salt & pepper, and stick it in the steamer with a dollop of butter.

Both yummy I do believe tho usually you just make a nice sauce to go with plain pan-fried salmon. Have never bothered looking up sauces tho. Maybe someone can help with that

Claire Guest

I'm not very keen on the steaks but fillets I like.

BBQ skin down, poached in the oven or wrapped in puff pastry and baked! Yum Yum!

I'm not very keen on the steaks but fillets I like.
    Hmm, OK now I don't know what i've bought.. they are kind of rectangular and the top is kinds shaped like a wave....hope that makes sense.

I normally do an "asian" type dish...

In one frypan, put some garlic, ginger and soy sauce...

In the other frypan, fry the salmon...it should only be a few minutes each side...especially if you want the salmon steak to be "medium" in the middle...

Then once the frypan with soy sauce starts to bubble up...turn it off...serve up the salmon and add the sauce over the top of it...

Serve with asian greens...yummo!!!

in an pan with a bit of melted butter. Squeeze lemon over it whilst cooking
    beautiful!

I lay the salmon on a bed of fresh basil and dill then top with a little butter and more dill and basil the wrap in foil and cook in the oven for about 15 minutes. Otherwise i just pan fry them and eat them like that.

I wrap mine in foil with a little bit of butter and dill.
    You can add lemon and lime as well.

A really nice way is to chop up about a cup of mixed herbs - dill, parsley, marjoram - what ever you've got lying around. Mix the herbs with enough olive oil to form a paste and add salt to taste. Then spread the herb mix over one side of the fillets and place in a baking tray, herb side up. Then pour some white wine or verjuice in the pan so it comes about half way up the side of the salmon (not enough to wash away the herbs though) and bake it in the oven at about 160 degrees for 20 mins

Otherwise just pan fry, but cook skin down first.

We just put a bit of lemon juice and pepper on top and chuck them in the George Foreman grill!! Mmm, might be having to get some tomorrow.

Monnie your asian style Salmon sounds delish. Could you tell me your quantities. Please.

Any more ideas? We get salmon delivered each week and the boys love it baked with herbs and butter but I'm a bit bored.

We do it like this:

Rub the fish in some salt, a few drops of sesame oil and minced garlic and ginger. Spread out a sheet of foil, and lay a generous amount of fresh basil and spinach leaves in the middle. Place the fish on top. Cut some cherry tomatoes in half, place on/around the fish. Chop up some chilli, place on the fish. Chop up some spring onion and scatter. Squeeze a lime over the fish, and add a few lime slices or some lime zest. In a pan, add some brown sugar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, a squeeze of lime. Heat until just boiling, then let it cool. Once cool, pour some sauce over the fish. Close the foil, place in a tray and cook. Serve with some fragrent rice (we do coconut rice) and a little more of the sauce, maybe with some fresh lime and sprinkled with more spring onion. Seriously delish!

I do a terriyaki sauce for my steaks or fillets. I marinate them in:

2 tbsp mirin
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp seseme seeds
    1 shallot chopped finely

Marinate for 10 minutes either side or increase the quanities to coat thoroughly. Put skin side down and put on a grill plate or a hot fry pan and leave 2-3 minutes and then flip over and add the remaining marinade to the pan or coat the skin with the marinade. You can heat the marinade in a small sauce pan and pour over the top alternatively.

My recipe that's a hit with the kids is put the salmon in a microwavable bowl with 3 tablespoons of milk. Cover and cook on high for 3 mins. Easy. Serve with steamed veggies. Or then stir into a risotto. or put onto of some mash and veggies.

I find the house doesn't smell of fish if cooked like that and it doesn't taste overly oily (according to DH).