Thread: Dental Work - FREAKING OUT!

Unhappy Dental Work - FREAKING OUT!

Hi Ladies,

I just felt a little lump on my gum so went and checked it out. I have a lump on my gum which probably takes up the whole area of what I guess would be root. I have to have a root canal on one of my teeth (can't recall which one) and am worried it is linked to that. Is root canal safe in pregnancy? I am petrified of the dentist at the best of times! Also, what does pyogenic granuloma look like? The lump doesn't hurt unless I press REALLY hard on it...

Thanks

Freaking out - MG

spreckemily Guest

Sorry I can't help MG. I just wanted to send and wish you luck.

Love

Beck
    (spreckemily)

there have been links to dental work and premature labour. A research study in a hospital in WA has discovered that an enzyme in your mouth can cause pre term labour. This may only be a factor to consider in your 3rd trimester - so best speak to OB about it.

They ran a story on the Sunday program several years ago about reason for prem births - and this is one of the factors that they discovered. The story caught my attention as my twins were born prem. I then started to freak when they talked about this link as I went to the dentist the day before I went into pre-term labour at 30 weeks.
    So what I am saying is not to freak you out. You have to weigh up the health risks of having an infected tooth against the risk of preterm labour.

I would be very surpised if you would be able to find a dentist to perform a root canal on you whilst pg anyway. I just have one done and they took several x-rays as well as local to numb the area.

Perhaps it is an abcess which they may be able to aleviate with anti-biotics until after your babe is born.
    Good luck and let us know how you go

Ouch. Hopefully the root canal can wait and your lump is just one of those things that appears in pregnancy but doesn't actually cause any problems. Sorry, no help but thinking of you.

mother goose, root canel treatment is fine during pregnancy as long as they dont take any x rays (it cant be completed with out taking any) what they will probaly do is start the treatment to get rid to the infection (this can be done without x rays), and when you've had your baby you will go bak to have the treatment completed, usually another 1-2 visits.
    ODETTE the enzyme your talking about is related to periodontal disease, the bacteria in servere periodontal disease has been linked to premature births especially in the US amoungst the poorer population, our hygeine is much much better over here!! so the problem here would be minimal
    i hope this has helps guys!!!

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, I would make an appointment to go and ask your dentist what their opinion is. I am petrified of dentists and needed work done while i was pregnant. I didn't go to the dentist as I'd heard so many stories about what was safe and what wasn't and now i'm in the process of trying to get all the problems fixed. The dentist I saw said that 99% of dentists know what is safe during pregnancy and that because i left it, i've actually made things a whole lot worse, meaning more time in the chair for me and a more expensive bill. I've now had 2 teeth pulled since having Liv because I couldn't face the root canal treatment with out being put under a general lol. I hope everything works out for you.

MG, I agree with what AJP is saying (she must be a dentist/hygenist/therapist????).

It is likely that if you know you need RCT that the lump is related to that. You should get it checked out pretty soon to ensure it doesn't develop into something more painful for you. Your dentist will prob want to start the treatment and then have you go back to complete it once bubs is here.

This is a better option than living with an infected tooth for the next four months! Check with your Ob, but i'm pretty sure that they would want you to have this treated (safely of course) than let it go. Unfortunately infected teeth do not get better on their own! The other option is to have the tooth out.......but again, you might want to wait until bubs is born, in which case they can start the RCT now to settle the infection, and then go back later to have the tooth removed.

In any case, I think the best thing would be for you to go and see your dentist soon and discuss it with them. And with your Ob too if it makes you feel better.

Good luck, Sez xoxo

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will make an appointment for later in the week. Can someone come hold me hand? I am so so scared that when they repaired a tooth I snapped they had to sedate me before they could even get near me! I am such a wose! I will let you all know how I go....

Spreck Can you guys make up your mind over there? Fire or snow???? Hope you're going well. Will email when I finish my essay!

MG

spreckemily Guest

Us Tassies like to do things different!!!

Snow, definetly better!!! I hate heat. Silly for a Fire Fighter I know, but I can't handle enviornmental temp over 25 degrees. I get very cranky!!!!

The fires were terrible. I couldn't do a shift GRRRRRR, but DH had to guard an explosives bunker!!!!!! :eek:

Love

spreck

Spreck - you crack me up! Thank goodness DH was ok!
    Caro - i will talk to ob thurs.... making dental appt for afyer i see her so i willa= at least get it checked.....

just a q, what does it look like?
    I have just found a pointy lump in the gum behind on of my front bottom teeth.
    I sure hope its not the same thing.....

Rachael, if the swelling is around where the gum and tooth meet it's likely that you have some gingivitis. Just keep it really clean, brushing and flossing etc. If it still worries you, go and see your dentist.

reply. thanks, nah its lower on my jaw, kinda looks like there another tooth under growing out sideways :eek:
    anyway, i digress.
    MG, I hope everything goes well for you!

Rayray - I had that a a few weeks ago and it was visibly noticeable from the outside. The one I have now is the size of a pea and very much inline with a tooth.... hope yours goes quickly!

MG