Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #5

Kell, I put it in my tummy. I just grab hold of a wobbly bit and stick the needle in. The first few times I did it I was pinching the skin so hard it hurt and left fingernail marks, but at least I didn't feel the needle at all!

Tummy. Not allowed to go in your leg as you use that muscle lots and it will get absorbed incorrectly. It;s a subcutanious? injection not intramuscular?

It can go in your leg..... the absorption will be a bit diff but leg is fine. It is a subcutaneous needle so anywhere from 6mm to 12mm depending on what you use. It can go in the following spots: tummy but avoid within 2 inches of belly button, outer thigh, upper outer buttocks, upper outer arm. Arm and leg it will be absorbed more rapidly and wear off quicker...bum and stomach has a more steady absorption rate. the first 8 years or so I was a diabetic i used my legs only without problems then switched to tummy...... now I use a new fangled technology pump and actually have it in the tissue on my back/kidney type area so really as long as you have skin there you can use it!!

you dont really need to pinch the skin but if you find it helps you by all means do it....a trick to relax the nerves etc is to breath out as you are pushing the needle in it forces relaxation and the pain will be less.

Hello everyone..... I'm kinda newish here, have been lurking for a while, but haven't posted though I've been a member for a while now........ Anyways, I've also been diagnosed with GD and would just like to say that you girls seem to be wonderfully supportive, so I hope you don't mind if I join you in here..... I am 33 weeks + 4 days pregnant, was diagnosed at around 30 weeks I think, can't really remember..... Still haven't been to see the dietitian or the diabetic educator, as they don't work school holidays so yeah...... Luckily I'm a nurse and there's another DE that works on the ward that I did and she gave me a small amount of info (she doesn't do GD apparently ) and a glucometer...... I've been really lucky with my BSL's generally 4.4 fasting and about 5.9 after food..... I was told to keep it under 5.5 fasting and 7 after food....... Now that I'm on maternity leave it has been much easier with my food intake..... no temptation to go down to the kiosk!!!!! Anyway sorry for the long post hoping to get to know you all better in the near future.....

Hi Vanessa You're doing really well. Those levels sound great to me!
    Any questions you have, I am sure someone in here will be able to help you with.

Hi Ladies,

Sounds like we have a few newbies in here (unfortunately under the circumstances).
    I'm post GD now as my DD is 5.5 months now but I still lurk to try and help where I can.

Vanessa (v21) - You are correct. The ladies here are very supportive and this thread is what helped me keep my sanity whilst I had GD. It can be a very scary time but having people to bounce questions off really does help so it's best to ask as many q's as you need as it is probably something that has been asked before or someone else has questioned/experienced. Your levels sound really really good so I'd be pleased with those.

For those new ladies, and whoever might be using an ACCUCHECK PERFORMA glucose meter, I have an unopened box of test strips still sitting here if anyone wants them. Happy to post them to you. They have expiry of 31 Oct 2009. I never needed them as DD arrived before I needed that box. Box is completely unopened and sealed. So they are up for grabs. I'd rather give them away than throw them out.

Feel free to ask questions and I'd highly recommend reading over the old threads as they have some really great stuff in them including food ideas.

Thanks for the support ladies..... Snowchickie, did you go for the GTT 6 weeks after having bubs??? At this stage am just taking one day at a time, had a 7.4 after breakky today, don't really know why as it is the same stuff I usually have for breakky, so we shall see what happens tomorrow.... If it's high again I'll have to put that cereal to the back of the cupboard!!!!

Vanessa, I find the same thing happens to me. I eat the same cereal all the time and usually get a reading around 5.5-6 and then all of a sudden I will get a 7 out of nowhere, then it goes back to my lower readings. I don't worry about it too much as long as it stays down the majority of the time. I am on insulin injection for lunch, dinner and before bed as those levels had started to creep up in the last week.

Vanessa - Yes I've had the follow up GTT and all was fine. My OB told me 12 weeks post birth but everyone seems to be told different on when it should be done. I just figured that my OB was giving me plenty of time for my body to go back to normal. I stressed over it for along time even from the moment DD was born but I finally just went and took it in early December and it was fine. I had my BSL's checked during labour and also a couple of times while in hospital. During labour they were low so had to have a few lollies to bring it back up, which made me throw up, but BSL's after labour were all normal.

About the high level for bfast. It could have been a result of what you had just before bed last night. It something gave you a high reading last night then it can carry over to the next morning. What cereal did you have? Maybe it was the quantity that did it, do you always have the same amount?

Just a quick note to you GD ladies

This forum is great and got me through 2 GD preganacies to deliver all my kids fine and well!

I created a food diary excel sheet when i was pregnant to see how much carbs etc I was eating.

I have just started using a website which is a great help to food diarising and wished I had found it when I had GD.

It is a diet site, but it really makes a food diary easy!

Its called The daily plate - from livestrong.com and inserts all the information about carbs etc for common foods. Anything not in the searches you can add by hand and the whole thing can be exported or printed.

Sorry for barging in but I thought "I wish I had this when I had GD" and didnt think it would hurt to post one here.

I am trying to lose 20kgs so I can have one last bub
    Wish me luck!!

Yeah Snowchickie, was the same amount and same type of cereal I always have - natural muesli with low fat milk.... My fasting BSL that morning was only 4.3.... So I don't think it was carried over from the night before???? Anyways, will see what it does thismorning, was ok again yesterday...

Glad your postnatal GTT was all good.....

Thanks for that site Kaety, just going to have a look at it now......

hi ladies. godd to talk to you all again. have been off line for a bit. and had gastro rip thru the family.

anyway. my levels are slowly rising and now are generally between 7 and 8.5 no matter what i do. so i am starting insulin tomorrow

hopefully it will help me feel a bit better. i have just been so up and down lately and i know its related to the GD.

Somebody please tell me the insulin doesnt hurt!!!!

Hi Myson, I don't know if the insulin hurts but in my experience as a RN, most patients are able to do it themselves with very little fuss, so I take it that it must be ok-ish..... The needles are very short and very fine, so hopefully you will be ok..... From what I've heard the finger *****s are worse....... Anyway, I hope that the insulin works for you... Sorry about the gastro too, awful isn't it???

I had a high reading after brekky again yesterday, 9.3 but it was only 1 hour after brekky (had to go out and couldn't take the glucometre with me as it was too hot then it just reads 'error') so I'm assuming that it probably would've still been high by the 2 hour mark, so have put that cereal in the back of the cupboard not to touch again til after I've had bubs..... This morning I had different cereal and my after brekky reading was only 4.1, so who knows????

Myson, sorry to hear you need to go on insulin.
    I promise the injections don't hurt. It's the idea of it that is worse than anything. In saying that, for some reason I haven't ever been able to inject on the right side of my belly and always do it on the left. It hurts whenever I attempt the right side, but I don't feel the left at all. no idea why!

....so relieved... it didnt hurt a bit. it is the thought of it more than anything. Now just have to make sure DH doesnt catch me injecting or he will faint .... such a big tough guy.

I had a high reading after brekky again yesterday, 9.3 but it was only 1 hour after brekky (had to go out and couldn't take the glucometre with me as it was too hot then it just reads 'error') so I'm assuming that it probably would've still been high by the 2 hour mark, so have put that cereal in the back of the cupboard not to touch again til after I've had bubs..... This morning I had different cereal and my after brekky reading was only 4.1, so who knows????
    V21 - just a thought - I know when I mucked around with doing different readings at different times, my 1 hour was always high (like a 9), but they only cared about my 2 hour one - and even if it was a 9+ at one hour it had dropped by the two hour. Even doing my reading 15 mins early was too high. So I reckon you might find if you try that cereal again that you're ok at the 2 hour mark?

Hi to everyone else, hope you're going ok with it. I also had GD with my PG (and was on insulin too). Myson - hope it's going ok for you. Totally agree that the thought is worse than the actuality, and lol that's cute re DH. My DH offered to do it for me, I was amazed TBH and didn't actually take him up on the offer.

kaety - sounds like a great site, I'll check it out (I have some weight too lose before TTC again... could be good!).

V21, I agree with what belfie said. I have done some "experimenting" with taking my levels at different times. One day I had a reading of 10.2 an hour after breakfast, but an hour later it was 5.8. I mentioned it to my Dr and he said they weren't interested in the numbers after an hour and since the 2hour was fine it was nothing to worry about. Stick as close as you can to the 2 hour testing so your results are consistent. There have been a few times where I just haven't been able to test so I have left it rather than putting in early testing numbers.

Hi Girls,

Sorry I havent been posted for a while, I have been reading your posts though. Welcome to all the newbies in this thread, sorry you have GD!!!

For those of you who dont know my story here is a quick run down. I was diagnosed with GD at 29 wks. I was lucky enough to control it through diet alone, I was so surprised by that. I had to have a c/s (due to other reasons not GD) and was booked in to have it at 38wks. I went into labour at 37 wks and had DD2 by c/s then. She wasn't a big baby at all (only 6 pound, 42 cms). I was huge and everyone kept telling me I was going to have a huge baby. My fundal measurements in the last few wks were always over what I was in wks. After I had Lara they checked both her and my BSL's for 3 days while in hospital, we were both fine. I was told to go for my follow up glucose test 6 - 8 wks after having her. I still havent gone coz I am so nervous that my GD hasnt gone away. I went to the Dr this morning and got my referral form and I have decided I am going to go tomorrow. I am so scared. I have a family history of type 2 Diabetes so if it turns out that it has gone away the probability of it forming into type2 in the future is high.

Sorry for my vent but I know you girls will understand what I am going through. I just pray that it goes away for all of us. Its bad enough having GD while pregnant let alone living the rest of our lives with GD.

Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast