Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728

Thread: Gestational Diabetes General Chatter #5

Afternoon girls How is everyone going?

Smudgy - I hope you are able to stay off the insulin before your induction. It really does seem like shutting the gate after the horse has run...... mmmm is that the saying? Well you know what I mean

AFM - my BSL have been very difficult to control so it looks as though I will be going onto insulin. The diabetes educator (whom I can't stand!) rang and made the doctors appointment for me for tomorrow morning to discuss it. I am really nervous about it but in a way going on insulin will end the uncertainty I've been feeling. I wont be able to birth at my chosen hospital so tomorrow I'll find out whether my doc will refer me to another hospital or whether I need to find a new doc and new hospital myself. I am really stressed about this but am starting to accept and deal with it.

As you say Artechim, I'm guessing that once on insulin I'll be able to eat a bit more and won't be so hungry. I'll also be less stressed which will be great for the baby too. Ahhhhh - I had really hoped for this simple birth at my local country hospital but, as long as I get to hold my beautiful baby at the end of all this, I'll be happy

blondedoctor - how did you go at your doctor's appointment? did they end up recommending insulin? i'm sort of in the waiting pattern at the moment as well - i know my BSL will probably rise despite diet at some point and in some ways it would be easier to just go on insulin. did you end up trying a snack before bed?

smudgy - how are you going? did you manage to stay off the insulin?

CAH - how was your 3D scan?

i had a biometric/growth scan this week & apparently the baby is 'text book' in size at the moment. i know the u/s aren't always perfect, but the baby is measuring right on where it should be, which to be honest was a bit of a relief between the GD & the BP meds. i'm still controlling with diet - had a few higher readings over easter, not because of chocolate but i think because i wasn't eating regularly like i had been. back on track now

Hi girls,
    I just wanted to let you know that my little man arrived last Wednesday 8th April. Noah weighed 3.45kg (7lb9oz) which is pretty spot on what the growth scan at 36wks said he would be (which was a surprise - a growth scan that was actually right!!!) I was on insulin, so there goes the theory that GD means a big baby. I was so over people telling me I would have a gigantic baby, when really you cant get more average than 3.4kg.
    While in hospital I had to do my BSL's for another 3 days as they wanted to keep any eye on it. They said they wouldn't be concerned with anything under a reading of 10. The highest I had was 8.2 which was the day after delivery. Since being home I have tested a couple of times and had nothing over 6.0.
    Noah's BSL's were checked 5 times in the 12 hours after birth. His first was 3.0 which was fine but the next few dropped - 2.6, 2.4, 2.6 so we had to give him a little bit of formula as the colostrum they were getting from me wasn't enough to help his levels. A little bit of formula and his levels went up to 3.2 and they were happy with that.

Smudgy, I hope your induction goes smoothly this week Did you manage to avoid insulin?

Congrats Megan on the arrival of your healthy little man! It is nice to see proof that we won't all be pushing out gigantor toddlers

Sloane - great that you avoided the temptation of chocolate last weekend. Wasn't difficult for me as we never buy easter eggs. I spose that'll change once bubs comes along.

I started insulin yesterday and so far its made no difference to my readings. I am on a very low dose, just 4 units twice a day so there is room to increase that if my bsl's dont reduce over the next few days. I take fairly high doses of asthma medication and I've just read on the packet that this medicine can interfere with the insulin, and will often require larger than normal doses. Great . Guess I'll just see how it all goes. I did try snacks before bed but it made little difference. My fasting reading in the morning is usually good anyway, it all goes haywire after breaky and again after lunch. After dinner is usually ok. I'm taking the insulin after breaky and lunch so I should see an improvement there. BTW, injecting with insulin is completely painless! Much much better than testing my bsl!

I presume that most of you are registered with the NDSS to get your testing strips and lancets etc? Well I was too, but I had to reregister when I went on insulin!! I'm quite frustrated by the whole set up of this organisation. I mean, my doc prescribed me the insulin which I got from my local chemist, but I had to drive 120km to a NDSS accredited chemist to pick up the needles! How stupid is that?? Why can't I just get them from my chemist? Would be so much easier.

I have an appointment with a new midwife at Lyell Mac hopsital, in the northern burbs of Adelaide. They are a much much bigger hospital than the one I had previously booked into, but they do sound nice and I've heard little else but praise for them. I am little worried about the two hour drive to get there but seeing as I'm 99% likely to get induced at 38 weeks I guess that wont be a problem.

Hope everyone is well

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728