Thread: Help - lump in babies skull 19 week US

Default Help - lump in babies skull 19 week US

I had a call from Doctor to say they need to do a repeat scan as they have found a small lump in the babies skull

The brain looks normal and she said its probably nothing ( do they just say that so you don?t worry )

But they want to hve another look to double check?

Needless to say I am worried sick and an emotionally destroyed right now?

I have to wait until Friday for the scan then Monday for the results

I want to hear from anyone who has had this diagnosis and what the outcome was ? GOOD OR BAD

I don't know anything about lumps in skulls, but, I just wanted to say, it would be possible for you to get the results on the same day as your scan. I would call my Dr and tell them how worried i was and s/he could organise to have the results on the same day and then give you a call.
    GL, i hope it is all fine.

I have not slept all night i finlly got to fall asleep with out thinking t about 645 this morning and my sweet little DS has just woken me up..

God i need some help i need some answers i cant deal with this unknown worry

This is the problem with scans these days, they see too much and then have to tell us. I am sorry for what you're going through, I haven't had the exact experience, but we did have a problem with our scan and they "had" to tell us even though the same thing would never have been detected in the years before. I was worried sick like you, they told me on the friday and said book in for an u/s next week. I ended up being on the phone to different Dr's all weekend, and finally one rang me and said "it's really a very minor problem, they shouldn't have scared you, but they have to tell you".
    I hope the outcome is fine for you, I just wanted you to know that they pick up so much more on the 20 week scans these days, and often it is not a major problem. Can you ring and insist on speaking to someone about this? Don't let them put you off, talk to someone who knows about these things. I hope you can relax soon.
    Take care xooxox

The doc i spoke with was pretty nice... buti was in shock so i didnt ask everything you know youhang up the nthink oh..

I have my normal Ob appt this morning (im public so you get the pick of the bunch) so im hoping to get some more info today -ill post later and let you all know

I feel so distressed and i am trying not to but i cry at the drop of a hat and DF is stressing in his manly way which sometimes doesnt help me ....

my appt is in about an hour my MIL is coming with me so she is very up front nd she will get answers even if i clam up.

Thank you for your well wishes - i hope its all for nothing..

I recently went through 2 weeks of worry due to something that showed in a scan which was normal when I went for the next scan. Sometimes I think scans create uneccessary worry in mums to be. Hopefully all will be well when they check it again. With mine the sonographer told me on the day that all was OK (don't think she was supposed to) but at least I didn't have to wait all weekend for the result.

Best of luck for a good result.

to you. Good luck this morning. Let us know how you go.

Hi sweety,

Often things can get picked up in a scan, and by the next scan they are completly gone. My friends just had a gorgoues DD, all the while the drs told her she has a heart condition, could be hypoplastic left heart, or something less minor, like a hole in her heart. Well she was born with no heart condition at all, a perfect healhty bub. My SIL sister was told her baby had too much fluid around its brain etc etc, turned out he was fine, and nearly 2 now.

Try not to worry yourself mad, it could be nothing, and I agree, it best to speak to someone to get all the information as to what it could be and how it may be resolved.

Best of luck hun,
    Lisa

still no real infomration except that it could possibly be a nerual tube defect worst case and least case a cyst or bone defect - she said its nothing she has seen that she can pin to a condition she doenst think it is tubeal defect but it is in the area that that does occur - that is why im having the scan friday so tha the radiologist or doctor who is professional in fetus and head stuff can look at it - we may need to be referred to the fetal medicine department in the Womens and childrens (adelaide)

my antenal serum screening was very low risk so thats possibly a good thing....

im trying to tell myself that is the least case and trying to be positive ....but its hard..

Meegm - So sorry you are having all this worry. I hope this next u/s you are having on Friday gives better results. My little girl has a choroid plexus cyst, and has a high nuchal fold, they were worried about her having DS. After a CVS that has cleared her of having DS, they are now looking into a heart problem due to the high nuchal fold. Anyway I have my next u/s in 2weeks time, so I can relate with the worry. I hope you get to relax after Friday u/s with the rest of your pg a worry free one. I would like to say try not to worry and relax now, but I know how hard it is to do that with what you are going thru.

oh csab i so feel for you i really do.

i woke up today and i feel very different i dreamt shes ok - i know she is.....

i will let you all know what they say ....

my only hope is that there is no mental retardation as I dont think we as a family could cope with a very menatlly retarded child... i feel its not fair on the baby and not fair on our family plus we dont have the financial resources for me to stop working etc... so i hope to god she is ok and we can just get on with the pregnancy and welcome her into our family in 20 weeks time...

Hugs right back at ya csab...

M

Meegm - GL today hun, looking forward to hearing some good news. I know exactly what you mean as I feel the same way. Our little girls are going to be fine. Will be thinking of you today. lots of
    Last edited by csab; June 20th, 2008 at 09:19 AM.

Oh i am so nervous i feel sick... i was good yesterday but today i feel sick....

thank you .

Thinking of you today. GL

Sending more Have everything crossed for you sweety.

they think it a epidermoid cyst - a cyst thats in between the skull and the skin.

not really sure what that is going to entail but will find out next week - they want to do an MRI to check the brain but she was pretty confident..

They have a meeting every week with the heads of a lot of departments at our major baby hospital in Adelaide next Thursday and she is going to discuss this at that meeting...

I feel much more at ease now - although i have the worst head ache - goin gto go lye down ..

Thanks for your thoughts girls means a lot .. keep you informed.