Thread: leaking amnio fluid or not?????

Red face leaking amnio fluid or not?????

Hi all.
    Over the last few days is have been feeling much more wet or damp (down there) i went the toilet thinking i had peed myself, i checked and it was quite a big wet patch in my undies. Enough to make my pants feel wet to.
    I went to see the midwives and they did the swab thing on my undies, it didnt change colour so she said not to worry and even if it did change she said protien makes it change colour aswell.
    Anyway i went home relieved and when i went to the toilet next i notice all these dark blue/grey marks where the swab had been..... and that was the colour the stick would have changed to if it had.
    I just thought to myself oh well i guess it could be protein, and today i had a urine sample done and there was no protein found????
    So what could all this mean? i was thinking if my waters were leaking they would prob be doing it all the time, but i have only noticed it every now and then over the past week... Any ideas???

Hi Sallymarie
    The dark blue/grey mark on your undies was probably from the swab but don't worry, it is quite common for the swab to change colour after being in contact with body fluids if left for too long. If it was amniotic fluid the swab would have changed colour within a few seconds. A quick way to check for yourself if you are leaking amniotic fluid is to have a good cough and then check if your discharge increases. If there is no increase then it is very unlikely that you are leaking. If there is a marked increase then there is a good chance that it is amniotic fluid.

I know that things were definitely 'wetter' down there for me throughout my pregnancy... I used panty shields as a matter of course every day. Then when I was close to being in labour, it got heavier. Hopefully you're not leaking, Sallymarie, and that all is well... just different

Yeah i think now it must just be an excess moisture thing. I am just going to keep an eye on it and not worry.
    Thankyou for your replies