Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Haemoglobin??

Nettle tea is meant to be really good for iron. It's available online at Natures Child (and probably other places too) if that's easier than driving lots of km's.

Also, remember to take your fibre. Metamucil or something to help keep things moving if you go back on iron tabs. My OB had me on Fefol towards the end of my first pg and I found I had to take metamucil tabs as well.

Hi Guys
    Thats all good info thanks.. I got told on Fri mine was at 106 which freaked me out. Also told to double up on elevit but not sure why I cant just take an iron tab?
    they also said they would check it again at 36 weeks (im 27 now) sounds like you guys get it checked more often - should i request this?

rach i got the spatones from chemist warehouse, i believe they do online orders as well

AJP I had a look on there and pharm direct but neither list it as a product

going to look here and if none mum said she will look in rocky and post to me tomorrow

also hit the benifibre today so hoping that loosens other stuff up enough to get rid of pain

thanks girls

ReggieB I had mine checked when I did glucose test so 28 weeks or so, then not again till last week which was 35 weeks I think its on my b/t form I am doing this week as well and mine was 101 and is lower so no I didn't get it checked regularly....

Spatones is very good, I second/ third all recommendations of it.

I know you are all taking this seriously already, but I wanted to add my vote to the "do what you need to do to get your levels up" voices. My haem was not great in pg, and then I bled A LOT and ended up with a level of 70 post birth. I needed two transfusions and I can tell you they are really not ideal (although I am so massively grateful now to people who give blood!).

Another tip I have heard is to cook in a cast iron pan- some extra iron gets absorbed into your food that way too.

Good luck!!

jess you sound the exact same as me! dont wish it apon anyone, although also very gratefull to those who donate! ive recommended spatones to a preg. friend to make sure she keeps her levels up to avoid what i went through

my OB did say I could have a iron injection so if things still feel ugh next tuesday when I see him I will ask again

My levels are 119 the OB said I had to start taking the Ferro Grad C again. I have taken it in the past quite succesfully and without issue (prior to being pg) but being pregnant just taking one tablet blocks me up, unable to go to the toilet but have the feeling of needing to so I was taking a weaker iron suppliment instead which obviously wasn't helping my iron levels but wasn't blocking me up. I have tried on and off to take the FerroGrad this pregnancy without luck. So in a desparate effort to take the FerroGradC because I know how well it can improve my iron levels quickly, the lady at the Pharmacy bless her cotton socks told me to take a dose of Benefiber each day. So I take my multi in the mornings and a dose of Benefiber. At night just before bed I take the FerroGradC and I am happy to report that a week of doing this and I've taken the FerroGrad 7 nights now and I'm as regular as clockwork. No constipation all thanks to the Benefiber. Amazing!

Just got told mine is 117 but Ob didn't seem too concerned.

I might look into taking some additional iron so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

coffeegal thats good to know, I am going to give the benifibre a few days to fix me up then try tablets again...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12