Thread: Sensitive Nipples

Question Sensitive Nipples

I have always had VERY sensitive nipples... My SIL tells me to moisturise, moisturise, moisturise, and my mum tells me to let them dry out, rub them with the loofah (ow), sunbake them, toughen them up...

I am really looking forward to breastfeeding my baby (when she comes), but I am also preparing myself for the fact that I might not be able to withstand it

What should I be doing?

mfcr06 Guest

Loofah.......Jesus!!!! Ouch!!!!!!

I would be moisturising.

No matter how much you "abuse" your nipples, nothing prepares them for breastfeeding.

So treat them gently while you can.

my opinion too... I haven't taken my mum's advise simply because it has been a LONG time since she was pregnant... My SIL has two little girls, 4yro and a 4wko... I figure her advice would be more accurate since she's a new/young mum

I agree with your SIL. Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. I did and I think it helped.

I don't think anything can really prepare your nipples for breastfeeding but keep them far from the loofah. That sounds painful.
    This article might help a bit http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...-to-breastfeed

The best advice I can off is - if someone asks you what you would like as a present ask for ABA membership. Being able to access their help and support can make all the differance when you encounter a bump on the road of your breastfeeding journey.