Thread: Sore appendix scar :(

Default Sore appendix scar :(

Hi everyone,
    I've been wanting to ask this question for a while but thought it was silly, but oh well, here goes...

I had my appendix out just over 2 years ago, not by keyhole either, the old fashioned way, leaving me with a big red ugly scar. It is still a bit tender every now and then. Now that i'm 6 mths pregnant, it is starting to give me some grief, the muscle underneath is pretty sore and has this pulling, tugging sort of feeling. I understand that it is going through some stretching atm, so expect it to be a litle sore.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had any problems with their appendix scar while pregnant. I keep having awful thoughts of it ripping or something!!!!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I have the old fashioned scar too, when I was 12 it was done - but didn't have much pain around the scar. Sometimes it felt like it was pulling but can't remember it being terribly painful. I don't think I did anything about it. It didn't bust open even after I had a second operation through the same scar years later when I was 15. I remember that it did feel a little pully though!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi, sorry to hear your scar is giving you grief

I also had my appendix out the old fashioned way and that was at xmas/new year when I was 17/18 weeks pregnant! It was quite sore to start off with. Once I had the dressing removed I have been massaging Palmers Scar Serum into it morning and night. While the scar is still big and red and stretching with my belly, it's not as sore. I think the massaging has helped, maybe you could try that?

With baby moving around and your belly growing, I think it will be stretching and pulling. I asked my ob about my scar ripping open too and she assured me that it wouldn't happen.

The pain you are feeling is caused by the scar and the scar tissue underneath not stretching and the dammage to your nerves when you had the operation. Scar tissue is far less elastic than normal tissue but it is stronger. Your scar will not rip open.

Thanks Alan, I knew my scar wouldnt actaully rip open in my rational mind, but pregnancy seems to make you worry about everything!!!

That must have been scary for you having an op when you were pregnant Laranna. I'll def try massaging in the scar serum, thanks

Glad to hear the pully feeling is normal Kelly