Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: subchorionic hematoma

I am so sorry for what you have had to go through Tildy. I really hope everything works out for you and your little bubba stays put
    Amber
    xox

Sellsy Guest

Unhappy Hopeful

I have found out that i am 6 weeks pregnant and have massive pains and bleeding. Scans show a big haemotoma and has givin me a hisk risk of miscarriage. Doc also said that there looks like twins. Should I be optimistic in thinking that it was just the haemotoma that has passed.

all your stories have inspired me to be hopeful.

any thoughts would be great. i have booked for another scan and will let you know

Hi there sellsy,
    Sorry to hear you are going through this.
    I started bleeding, brown blood at 7 weeks. After the bleeding continuing for 4 days, I decided to go to hospital. I was given an external u/s where the OBS found a haematoma.
    My GP told me that I woudl probably miscarry. I had 2 more scans, a few days apart from each other. On one weds I had the scan and the haematoma was clearly seen, about the same size as my baby. On the Thursday night, I got up ealry morning to go to the loo, and had a massive gush of blood, running down my legs. I thought it was the end. I went back and had another scan the next morning, as my GP was convinced I had m/c'd, but there was bubby, heartbeating away, and even flinched its little arm bud at me. I had bled out the haematoma and there was no sight of any left in my uterus.

I am now 14weeks along. After the gush, I had brown bleeding for 3 weeks. It stopped at around 11 weeks and I have had nothing since. All seems to be going very well.
    I have read, as previously has been mentioned in this thread, that 90%+ of pregnancies with this go on to be normal. That's a pretty reassuring number
    I wuld just say take it easy, rest when you can, and try not to think about it too much
    Good luck, and I hope everything turns out perfectly for you

Don't know if it helps you feel better, but I figured I would give you an update: I'm now more than 21 weeks pregnant and after the 4 big bleeds I described in my last post I haven't had any problems again. No more bleeding or pain, good scans, the placenta is properly placed now and bubs is practicing karate several times a day in there. So it seems to be turning out just fine for me *knock on wood*. I understand that that might not make you worry any less right now, though.

~TamMcR~ Guest

Question SCH at 14wks...still going

Hi Everyone,

This is the first time I have read something positive about SCH. I am currently 18wks with my first pregnancy. I had my 12 wk scan on 20th Dec 08, all was clear and everything fine. On the 26th Dec 08 I lost about 2 tsps red blood got a bit worried and called a nursing hotline, they told me if it keeps on bleeding the see a Dr otherwise dont worry too much about it. It stopped bleeding as soon as it started. I ended up going to see my GP the following week just for a check and she found the baby's heart beat and all appeared ok.

After sex on the 2nd Jan 09 (14wks 1 day) I started bleeding brown blood. I remember my GP saying Red blood is bad but brown isnt anything to worry about....... so I didnt. I only bled in the mornings and by afternoon it had cleared up. By day 3 I was a bit worried though so I called the nursing hotline again and they suggested I see an afterhours GP (It was Sun 4th Jan). As soon as I lay on his bench and he flet my tummy a black porriage substance came out (sorry if TMI but chances are you may have experienced something similar). He sent us straight to the local hospital and left us with the words "it doesnt look good". After waiting around there for hours and trying not to get too worked up I was convinced I was about to have a D & C. We ended up having a scan and to my surprise the baby was still alive and kicking. We were then told we had a 90 x 60 x 12mm SCH. They told us morbidly we should expect a miscarriage..... not something you want to hear.....give us a bit of hope.... but they didn't. I left there and didnt sleep a second that night.

I ended up making an appointment with my OB the next day, she put me on full bed rest, Ive quit my Job, defered Uni for this year and dont really leave the sofa bed in front of the TV. Unfortunately my OB isnt very helpful and she uses the term "miracle" which is starting to irritate me. She has also told me I am her first case in 15 yrs of Practice to have a viable pregnancy.... so far. I am having weekly scans to asses the growth of bubs and weekly appointments with her. I wish she could tell me it is all going to be ok or at least a percentage but she can't...... she just doesnt know.

From what I can gather each SCH is different, it depends on the placement and size but even then its really a game of luck. If anyone has a crystal ball out there I would really appreciate it.

I havent had any loss since about 15wks 4 days and the SCH is becoming more "solid". Bubs is still growing well within the normal limits and we are taking each day a at time. I am hoping to make it to atleast 24 wks....... Fingers crossed.

The best advice I can give so far is take it easy, no heavy lifting, no hanging out washing and no heavy house work. Try to relax and try not to get too upset. My hubby and I are having to take it a day at a time, we are trying not to get our hopes up but at the same time its hard not to..... we found out at todays scan we might be having a girl.

Good luck to anyone out there that is suffering from this, Im sorry I dont have a positive outcome to share with you yet but we have made it through so far, only 22 wks to go!!!

Oh also, Bed rest is boring and dont be surprised with the emotional ups and downs, we feel as though we are living on a knife edge. I lay in bed at night and I dont want to think about the future because I dont want to get my hopes up but at the same time I dont want to think too morbid. I want to keep myself busy and try to forget whats going on but I cant escape it. At the moment I have decided that this is my 1st and last pregnancy. I dont want to have to go through any pain or emotional stress like this again. I realise I might change my mind and people have been telling me that..... I feel like slapping them though because they havent experienced this.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Sorry I cant be more positive but unfortunately Im not getting very positive information, prehaps I should ask for a second opinion but I wouldnt know where to go and I dont want to offend my OB. Im glad there are happy stories out there and I hope to be able to add mine sometime between March and July.

Good luck to anyone out there who is going through this, I wouldnt wish it upon my worst enemy, just know that although each case is different, you arent alone in the feelings and all the other pain associated with this....... I just wish there as an answer. I wish there was a definate yes or no.....it would stop the waiting game and that to me is the worst part.

Tam -- thanks for sharing your story. I can re-update that my ticker is correct -- I am 31 weeks pregnant today and have still had no more bleeding since the last of the 4 big bleeds I mentioned in earlier posts. So there are a lot of positive stories out there about SCH, and as someone else mentioned, 90+% of SCH pregnancies turn out okay.

Don't give a second thought to offending your OB -- her feelings are certainly not more important than your baby or your peace of mind! Plus, I don't think she has to be offended if you say that, because of how emotionally and physically draining this is, you'd like all the help you can get, including a second opinion. I think I've met 12 or more of this town's OB/GYN, and I feel strengthened every time I get to hear what they have to say. Two "things look good" feels better than one.

Since you say that the SCH is becoming more "solid," I presume they are monitoring you regularly. That is excellent, as they could have told you to just wait it out and see what happens ("There's nothing we can do, anyway").

Of course you might change your mind about getting pregnant again, especially depending on how this turns out, but people sure do need a lesson in when to keep their big mouths shut. I respect and understand that you feel that way right now. Tell them that they should, too!

Just wanted to add, All is still going fantastically here. There has been no sign sinve my giant bleed of any problems, and I have had no bleeding since 11 weeks. I am now nearly 24 weeks and the little girl in here is kicking the wind out of me constantly

All the very best girls.

Default somerville 11

Hi Ladies,

All your posts are so reassuring. Last week I went for my ultrasound and they told me I have a heamotoma. Couldnt really say the size or anything but just "its something to be worried about". Felt like saying yeah thanks..and in exactly what context!

Saw my Dr today and Dr didnt want to send me for a 16 week scan to see if it gets bigger or not. I am 13 weeks now so next scan isnt until 19 weeks. As you can imagine I am sorta stressing like hell. So all your posts are so good. They have told me so much. Seems like dr's dont deal with it that much so I didnt get allot of info. Only thing that worries me is that she didnt say anything about no sex, exercise or take it easy. Worries me that the Dr doesnt know to much on them. Staying positive and hope its all going to be ok. I havent had one bit of bleeding from day 1 and babies heart beat is a good 165..so fingers crossed!

Take care everyone xx

My living children both had SCH. My stillborn daughter didn't. With my living babies I had 3-4 episodes of bleeding with each pregnancy which had settled by (roughly) 18 weeks. There are some wonderful, positive stories. Don't give up hope

Hi Everyone,

I first came across this forum in November last year when I was diagnosed with a SCH at around 8 weeks. Reading the success stories here really helped. I got more information here than I did from the doctors. I managed to stay strong and was lucky enough to be hematoma free by 16 weeks. I wanted to share my story to give others out there some hope. It's not a nice thing to have to go through, but it can go away.

I saw 2 doctors during the time of the hematoma - my own gynecolgist was really relaxed and said it's nothing to worry about; the other I was refered to for a scan to check the hematoma labelled me "high risk" and said it would probably lead to a placental abruption. I had no symptoms, no bleeding or cramping and was put on semi-bed rest. I was devastated and totally distraught. Around week 13, the hematoma measured 4.4 x 2.8 cm. I then had a bit of dark red bleeding one night like a heavy period, the next day the doc said a bit of the hematoma had broken off and it then measured 3.8 x 2 cm. The red blood freaked me out, as the doc had said red blood is not good, brown blood is ok. I then spotted for the following week or so then at 15 weeks had constant heavy bleeding and cramping for about 10 days. I was on holiday at the time, and my doc had warned me it might happen, so I tried not to worry. I had a check up at 17 weeks and the hematoma had gone. At 19 weeks I was in hospital with fresh bleeding and the docs can't say where it came from. One thought it was a final bit of the hematoma, but the blood was so fresh. They think that the placenta was lying low at that time, but thankfully it moved up. I am now at 28 weeks and have had no other complications since then (touch wood!). It's so good to hear the doctor say everything is good.

It's so hard not to worry about these things as it's all out of our control. Just don't forget the statistic that over 90% of SCH cases in pregnancy go on to produce healthy babies.

Good Luck to everyone out there - I wish us all happy, healthy babies

Default reply to Neferidian

Hi Neferidian,

By the way, I was told no sex, no heavy lifting or housework and no exercise or cycling and was signed off work. Light walking was allowed, but that was it.

Hang in there xx

Default Fingers and toes crossed

Hi all expectant mommies!
    I'm about 7 weeks into my pregnancy and I was told last week in my 2nd eps that i have a clot measuring about 3cm in my womb. I have had staining and some light bleeding - I was so relieved to see a heartbeat but am terrified at prospect of losing my bub. Like many of you I wasn't told by the dr to rest but my husband was so worried he went to our gp for advice and he signed me off work for a couple of weeks. I have another scan tomorrow and I'm so worried about it.
    I really hope that all your pregnancies go beautifully and that we all get to cuddle our babies in the future. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hello everyone,
    Thank you all for sharing your stories.

I also have a haematoma which has been variously described as subchorionic and retroplacental by different doctors. Either way it is very concerning and it has been hard to stay positive.

I have had spotting and light bleeding since becoming pregnant and have been told repeatedly by doctors that it is a "high risk" pregnancy. At 8 weeks I had a big bleed with cramps which started without any warning. I had an ultrasound later that day which showed the baby fine but there was the haematoma measuring about 3cm in diameter compressing the sac. At 11 weeks I had another big bleed - again with no warning. This time I ended up being taken to the emergency department at hospital by ambulance. After waiting for a few hours they did another scan which again showed the baby was fine, but the haematoma is still there.

I'm now 14 weeks and have had no bleeding since the last episode. It's still really hard not to worry though! I have had 3 miscarriages to date and this is the furthest along I've been, so that is reassuring.

I hope that everyone who has posted is still going well.

Happy ending to an SCH!

Benjamin Liam Ceangailte Paulsson was born at 18:14 on April 17 after a VERY easily induced labor. My water was broken at 10:30 am, at which point contractions immediately came at a rate of 4 every 10 minutes with very little pain relief in between. By 15:30 I was told that I was already 10 cm open and could clearly feel the pushing stage beginning. By 17:30 they said Benny's heart rate was showing distress and I was thereafter tortured by an extra midwife putting all her weight on the top of my stomach as I pushed -- which you can imagine I did with all my might after hearing "danger!" By 18:14 they snipped me a bit to get him out.

They laid him there on the bed at my feet, and I just sat and hyper-ventilated, wide-eyed, staring in shock -- I was so focused on "God, let this end soon!" that I had totally forgotten why we were there and HOW it would end! We've been so focused on getting through the pregnancy successfully that every second since he came out has been surreal and a little hard to digest, haha! Even if the results of almost 3 hours of pushing are stitches, super hemmoroids, a catheter I get to schlep home with me, and amazing training pain from head to toe, I'm completely in awe-struck love.

Smile

Hi everyone! Its great to hear of a positive outcome- I'm so pleased for you!! I am now 13 and a half weeks and in my scan earlier this week the clot appears to have gone ! My consultant says he won't allow me to go past my duedate and I'll probably be sectioned because of the increased risk of placental abruption. I'm on cloud nine - I just want a healthy baby. Good luck to everyone out there who's experiencing something similar. Tildy's story is lovely and it proves there are (many) happy endings! Well done Tildy and thanks for posting your happy ending!

Default subchorionc heamorage needing help plzz

at 6w 3days i was told i had small sch measuring 2cm x 0.6cm lateral to the gestational sac (ANYONE KNOW WHAT LATERAL TO THE GESTATIONAL SAC MEANS) the doctor and the u/s tech never explained this to me so i have no idea where it is..i had another u/s yesterday i am currently 10w 3 days and baby had strong heartbeat and was moving all around which im happy about but the sch was stil there and the u/s tech said theres no point in measuring it and not to worry cause it wil go away on its own, but wouldnt it have been better to measure it to see if its getin bigger or smaller..ive been getin lots of rest wen i can, i have 2 young girls almost 18 months and 7 months but the sch is worrying me..any advice would b appreciated..

Lateral just means to the side. There is no need to measure if there is a healthy heartbeat and a baby bouncing around. The size of the haematoma is (unless it is huge) mostly useless information. It doesn't really predict the volume of blood loss if you happen to bleed as some women re-absorb the clot and others pass it.

There is no specific need to rest if you are not actively bleeding. Prior to ultrasound this was probably a common and yet unidentified phenomenon. Women just bled - cause unknown. There is also no need for a c-section as there is no additional risk of placental abruption. I was a high risk pregnancy for both of my living babies and this was never suggested / mentioned / considered. HTH

Another SCH happy ending here:

I had my Daughter on May 13th this year. She is percfectly healthy and very happy. No problems at all due to the haematoma.

All the best

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast