Thread: Tooth infection... can they pull teeth during pregnancy?

Default Tooth infection... can they pull teeth during pregnancy?

My dr didn't say what the dentist would do, and I rang the dental clinic and got an appointment on April 11, and asked the receptionist some questions but she was clueless and absolutely no help whatsoever.

I have an infection in my wisdom tooth, and I assume they'll want to pull it? Is it safe to get teeth pulled during pregnancy? The anaesthetic (sp?) and all that?

Just wodnering as I rang Shel at work and let her know (she insisted, cos she's a worrywart) and she freaked out saying its going to hurt Bubble, what if it hurts her, what if the antibiotics hurt her (they won't, I asked the GP and pharmacist), will they do it even if it does hurt her?

i would do some research on this yourself if you can - from what i ow (having held friends hands during the process ) is that they need x rays to confirm what needs to be done..... i dont think xrays and bubbles mix.....

Ni leasha
    Don't worry hun. Pulling teeth will not harm your baby, and neither will the abtibiotocs. The anaesthetic they use only has a local effect so again it will not harm your baby.

The xrays used are quite low power and directional. If you are concerned you could ask for a lead coat to cover your belly. Also you do not have to have the xray. The dentist may prefer it but can not make you have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt3n View Post
    they need x rays to confirm what needs to be done..... i dont think xrays and bubbles mix.....
    thats correct, unless you have a recent xray of that tooth or a recent OPG ofr them to check you generally need an wxray to determine its posistion prior to extraction, yes xrays are not recommended but if the situation is bad enought to be honest the xray is such a low does it may be in your best interest and bubs to have it done, you get a much radiation as been outside for a few hours!
    best thing is to get the area cleaned to remove any food which will cause infection, make sure you brush the area, as much as it will hurt its for the best

ETA as alan said the anesthetic is fine when pregnant as are AB's, remember for bubs to be health you need to be!!

I think it's the x-rays they can't do.

I had my appendix out at 17 weeks and was under a general so I think anaesthetic would be ok...I know that they gave me a different type through a mask instead of the needle in the arm because they said something about administering via gas is easier to control the level you are under than administering via the needle in the arm...anyway bub and I recovered fine after having the general.

But with anything like this best to talk to your doctors/dentist about what's involved.

The anesthetic that they can use can also be one without the adrenalin in it, which will take a little longer to kick in but is often used on pregnant women.

I have had dental work during my pregnancy, including the repair of a filling and work on my impacted wisdom tooth and it is better for the baby that the work is done as long term infection in the mothers gums can cause pre term labour.

Have some faith in your dentist. They would not be suggesting something unless they felt that it would benefit you. Sure they like to make money, but if the procedure was not important they would definately wait the coming few months to see you and do it once the baby is born.

Don't Google TOO much....there are pleanty of scare mongers out there and loads of info on the web which can turn people off procedures which are actually quite routine.

I wish you loads of luck and hope that your teeth are feeling better soon. I know the pain that wisdoms can cause and trust me the relief of having them fixed is almost as good as giving birth and being 8kgs lighter!!!!

I had a wosdom tooth pulled 4 weeks ago it wasnt so great because they couldnt do the xray and it ended up having a hooked root. So they had to cut the gum but it all worked out ok in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Ni leasha
    Don't worry hun. Pulling teeth will not harm your baby, and neither will the abtibiotocs. The anaesthetic they use only has a local effect so again it will not harm your baby.
    Yep
    I had a molar pulled out when I was about 16 weeks pregnant with DD. Believe me I grilled the dentist and did tons of research beforehand because I had miscarried my previous pregnancy so I was super paranoid about doing anything that even might cause a problem.

It really is fine and safe and no risk to your bub. There is actually more risks to your baby leaving an infected tooth - you still have quite a way to go yet before your bub is due and infected teeth cause all sorts of nasties to get into your bloodstream over time. Perhaps let your partner know that too

Best to get it dealt with, for sure.

Thanks everyone, I feel much better now. I know the dentist wouldn't do anything to harm, i just can't help worrying

Leesha, I had to have a tooth out when I wa PG. I wa petrified - not of it hurting bubba but becaue I have a phobia of the dentist!!! Anyway, it is all safe and even if they want to give you a GA - the baby will be fine. I've cared for plenty of women who have had GA's during pregnancy.
    Good luck and I hope all goes well!

MG

Hey..

Glad to hear that you are feeling better about your teeth.. and what might have to be done.

I was just as nervous as you.. When I was around 15-16wks along I had a *really* sore tooth and so went to see what was wrong, it was explained that I would need a root canal.. Problem being that normally they check whats going on/needed to be done with an xray. Being pregnant they didn't want to be doing xrays..

I was so scared! Then my dentist explained that because it was a three part procedure.. that he would do the first bit now with a simple needle to anaesthetise things.. (cleaning out the inside/nerve & then sealing it with a temp filling/cover) then after bub was born i would come back and get the final bits done.. which included an xray etc etc.

So i ended up getting a general.. (about 4needles cos i am a sooky la la ) and everything was done for the first bit.. and now i am just waiting these final few months until i can go back and get the final stuff done.

Trust in your dentist.. and if still worried.. get another opinion.

Good luck and hope your mouth is feeling better