Thread: Mirena IUD Problems?

Default Mirena IUD Problems?

Hi everyone

I had the mirena IUD inserted last Tuesday. I had some cramping that day and a bit on Wednesday, but then was fine.

Yesterday in the shower I felt the strings for the first time, they were very easy to feel.

Today I had a bit of quite painful cramping while sleeping, so checked for the strings in the shower and can't find anything! Surely it couldn't have come out in between being in bed and me getting in the shower, without me noticing?

I know I'll have to see the doctor, but as it's Sunday, just wondering if anyone else has had experiences they could share? Is it possible the strings can dissapear up into the uterus? I just find it hard to believe its come out.

TIA for your answers, Cathy.

Cathy, it is possible that the cervix has changed position and is making it harder/impossible for you to feel the strings. Try sitting on the loo and checking. I know with my IUD that was the only way I could feel the strings....

Thanks Kat, I've tried several times over today, but can't feel any sign of the strings, but I can feel my cervix. I"ve also had a fair bit more of this painful cramp.... :-(

I too had the terrible cramping and constant bleeding and after 7 months of putting up with it and the mood swings etc, I got it out. Dh is SOOOO glad I did! He doesn't have a b!tch for a wife anymore!!

Alternatively, ask ur DH to see if he can feel them next time ur having some fun!! *wink*

Oh wow, so this could be normal?? It is extremely painful! Well I've got a dr appointment on Tuesday arvo so we'll see what they say.

Thankyou

Just an update in case anyone reads this in the future for reference - spent a night in hospital as the pain and bleeding got severe. They did an ultrasound the next day and said they can't see the IUD so it must have been expelled.

Not too sure what to do about contraception now.... if Only we weren't ever going to want more kids I'd be chatting to DH about getting the snip LOL

wow....I hope the pain stops soon, I'm sorry you had such a bad run with it. It seems a lot of people have problems with it.... I'm on the minipill atm as it's the only option I had and even this might fail (the normal pill has before....). I don't know what to suggest for you except talk to ur dr and try to find SOMETHING that works for you.....?

Thanks Kerrie. I really don't know what to do, the only thing left to try really is a diaphram, but really not liking that idea as you can't be very spontaneous.

A friend suggested we just stop having sex, but DH wasn't too impressed with that idea! LOL

*LOL* I'm the one who wasn't impressed with that suggestion when someone said it to me *L*. I agree, a diaphram isn't very spontaneous. I mean who knows 20mins ahead of time that they're going to DTD?? And it's a bit of a turn off to say hang on a minute while I put my cap on *L*. For me, we are just hoping the minipill works, if not well then it was meant to be. We def wants more kids, just wanting a bit more of a gap between Jess and the next one!
    I hope u find something that doesn't dampen the mood too much!

ctroeber Guest

Question I need advice on my Mirena IUD

I had the mirena IUD inserted a little over 3 months ago. It was 6 months after having my second child. I had a dream I got preg. scared the daylights out of me. Called for my appt. to get the copper IUD immediatly. The dr. I trust convinced me that I should go with the hormone mirena IUD instead due to my very heavy periods. Somewhat uneasy but decided to give it a GO.

The Dr. explained that I would have some spotting. That the spotting shoud ease up within 6 weeks. Well after 10 weeks I called her saying I was still spotting. She gave me a couple of PREMARIN pills told me the spotting would go away after a pill or two. But it would come back. Took 2 pills and the spotting did stop. For a week only! Mad Now I am spotting again. I have been spotting with two periods somewhat heavy since insertion. I have been bleeding in some form of another for 14 weeks now. Where is the perk in this IUD?

Now here is the clincher. Before the IUD I had joined our local YMCA. My daughter gets free (very good) preschool there and they keep my son in the nursery. The only thing is you have to present in the building the whole time. That's ok I love it! It motivates me to work out! I swam once a week. Did about 3 - one hour cardio dance classes a week. Jogged on the treadmill for 20 minutes a day about 3 times a week. Free weights and took a class called BOOT CAMP for an hour! I loved it! Would schedule my life around my boot camp class! Then I would walk about 20 minutes at a quick pace at night!

Since the mirena IUD insertion. My physical active life has declined rapidly. I am tired all the time. All I want to do is nap. I have lost alot of sex drive. I am moody. I have to push myself through the smallest of workouts to even be motivated. Have dropped my boot camp class. I am still working out 4 days a week for an hour but am NOT motivated! Confused I haven't lost any weight. I have gained a few lbs. You would think with working out 4 days a week some weight would come off. My diet is good too. And I haven't been able to sleep in 5 weeks. I called my dr. and she gave me AMBIEN but told me all of this has nothing to do with my Mirena IUD?

I am thinking about having it removed. So far I have absolutly NO perks from this thing other than I can't get pregnant. Is anyone else out there feeling the same way? Please tell me before I have this removed!

I had those exact problems and within a week of having it out I was feeling back to my normal self. Even DH saw a difference. The obgyn at the clinic said it's something 1/100 complain of and it just meant it didn't suit my body. I am guessing you will be the same. Don't put urself thru it. Get it out and work out some other for of contraceptive. The bleeding non stop and the cramping and tiredness....all so familiar. Just be warned, maybe it's just me, but I used to have 29day cycles and after I had the IUD removed, my cycles are now 24 days.....wondering if that is a side effect of it?

Unhappy

Hi everyone,
    just been reading all your postings on the subject. I have been seriously considering getting a copper IUD inserted since I have had bad experiences with hormone based contraceptives in the past, finding that they severely effect my moods and libido. Was hoping to read some positive experiences about getting an IUD but it seems like they might not be the best thing!

Anyone out there have something good to say? I really feel like I don't have many options if I want to use a contraceptive that is hormone free.

Thanks!

I haven't had a good experience with Mirena. I don't know if a copper one would be the same though as most of my mirena issues would be due to the hormones. You could try charting your cycle to avoid a pg.

The Mirena made me BONKERS!!

Smile I love MIRENA!

I got the Marina in 3 years ago and it has been an absolute blessing!

Insertion was a bit of a nightmare. I was pooping, puking and cramping like mad for a few hours. My body was like, "GET THIS THING OUT!" I seriously had to sit down with my body and talk to it and say, listen, I've insert this thing, I know its there, and its good for me. Well, within an hour of that chat, all good.

First 2.5 years, I had NO Period. Heaven!!!! No weight gain, no mood changes....I still get a little PMS'y for a day or so once a month (I can just feel that everything irritates me irrationally that day), but then it would pass. About a year in, I had one period. A year later, I had another. Now it is 3 years, and for the past few months I've had some spotting/bleeding each month. This isn't usual to change so the doctor said, but I'm changing and he wasn't worried. I'm a little scared now, because the last two times I've had sex, I've had the cramping, pooing and barfing again afterwards, and I"m wondering if my body isn't trying to push this thing out.... I'll have another body chat and see if it works.

EVEN if it does come out - I LOVE Mirena, and I'll get another one. It is the best contraception out there. I've no fear of getting pregnant and it doesn't disrupt my lifestyle at all. In fact, it's saved me tons of money.

I'm sorry to hear you ladies above have had such problems with it though. I'm just trying to represent the other side.