Thread: Blighted Ovum question????

Default Blighted Ovum question????

A very close friend of mine had a bligted ovum 6 months ago, and her Hcg levels still aren't back to normal. I was just curious to hear from those who have let things happen naturally how long to took for your levels to return to normal?

She had a scan about 3 weeks ago that showed thickness of the lining of her uterus, and was told she will need a D&C to remove what was still there. But after turning up to hospital for the proceedure was told as long as the HCG levels were dropping that she didn't need a D&C.

So, she has had some more spotting, and tissue come out, but her levels are still dropping very slowly, I think her last levels went from 61 to 49. Is this normal for it to take this long?

I wish there was something I could do to help keep her spirits high though. She is starting to wonder if things will never return to normal. And is getting down at the thought, she will never be able to have another. I just keep reminding her to trust her body and that she will have another baby when the time is right. And that I'm always here for her to talk to.

Is there anything I could do?

Thanks ladies.

Anyone??????????????

I haven't any experience with this particular situation but 6 months sounds way too long for HCG to still be in her system. I'd be getting her to seek a second opinion from another gyno as I'm sure they should be doing something to either investigate why it's taking so long or to rectify the situation.

I would be getting a second opinion too. One of my MC's was a blighted ovum, it took a full 2 weeks from the start of bleeding until my body had passed everything. I had hcg of 30000 at the start of the mc and my doctor kept checking the levels, were dropping rapidly. I thought hcg's following a mc should halve every 3 days. My doctor would have done a D& C otherwise, as you don't wanted any tissue remaining, which might be the case if you still have hcg in your body. My hcg levels were back to normal within a month.
    Hope this helps.

Yep - not normal for it to be up for 6 months. I would be getting another opinion. Has she been otherwise well??

Thanks ladies for your help. She has otherwise been well. She originally saw a GP, but then decided to get a second opinion, she went and saw a gyno, who pretty much said the same thing. As long as her levels keep dropping that she won't do anything.

It just doesn't sound right to me, but I guess they are the experts.

She has decided to leave the blood tests to check her hcg levels until every 2 weeks now not 1. She is sick and tired of being jabbed, she looks like a junky, lol.

I guess it looks like she will have to keep playing the waiting game.

Thanks again ladies for your help.
    Last edited by Meluchja; June 15th, 2008 at 07:51 AM.

Your poor friend..how tough that must be for her

If I was in her situation I'd be concerned about having a molar pregnancy, with lingering HCG levels for so long now.

I'm sure her doctors are onto it.

Hoping everything returns to normal very soon for her xx