Thread: How long did you bleed after a D&C?

goldilocks Guest

Question How long did you bleed after a D&C?

Hello ladies

As you all know, I underwent a D&C two weeks ago after having a missed miscarriage. I just wanted to know how long you bled after having a D&C?

I didn't bleed for 6 days straight after the D&C (only had some slight spotting). And I only started bleeding 7 days after the D&C. It was very heavy and red to start but has been brown for the last few days, seems like old blood. It's only light today so I think it's finally slowing down!

I guess I'm just getting frustrated because I've been bleeding for 9 days! I haven't had any pain or cramping so I guess I can be thankful for that. I assume this is my first AF and I can expect my next one within about 4 weeks. But AF was never this long for me! It's just starting to do my head in

Did anyone else bleed for this long?

Love
    Belle
    -xxxooo-

I only bled for a few days after both of mine, but I don't tend to have long or heavy periods either so perhaps that's why.
    I hope it stops for you soon, it sounds like it will.

I bled for 4 weeks with my first one and 3 weeks with my second

Miss Kitten Guest

Hi Belle,

I COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from. I've had 2 missed m/c now and underwent a D&C both times. My first was last year and I bled for about 28 days...then got AF on the 31st day (remind me to thank the AF gods for the 3 days off later...) then exactly 2 weeks ago today I had another D&C and only bled for about 9 days. At first it was quite bright red and a lot of it (1 day) then it was like light red coloured water for a couple of days and gradually it became a bit browner and eventually stopped.

It does do your head in. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do really to make it stop. I tried to do some light, and I mean very light, exercise (walking - like an old person 'cos I was in pain) just to try to let gravity do its thing...

I'm sorry that its not pleasant and is getting you down, just know that it will stop. But yes, you will be getting a visit from AF in about 4 weeks or 3 weeks depending where you are up to now with your dates.

I don't have any profound words of wisdom to help or anything but I wanted to let you know the I understand what you are going through. I do hope it gets a little easier for you thogh.

Love Kate x.

Hi - I thought it was all too easy afterwards as I had spotting on and off for a few days. But then in between the light days, I would have half a heavy day. I think I bled on and off for about 2 weeks. Then exactly 28 days after the d&c I got AF.
    Its a tricky old thing this bleeding. I've heard of a few people that have had a varied amount of bleeding day by day.

Sorry its getting you down Its all pretty tough huh.

goldilocks Guest

It's such a varied thing, huh...some women bleed for days, some for weeks. I wish I only bled for a few days! Something tells me it's going to go on and on and on...

I've been taking my temp and charting every morning since the D&C and I'm happy to see that my temp is going down. Hopefully my body is gearing up to ovulate sometime before my next AF! I read that you can ovulate a couple of weeks after having a D&C...but looking at some FF charts after a miscarriage, I've noticed that a lot of women have an annovulatory cycle before a normal cycle.

Can you tell how keen I am to fall pregnant again?!! LOL

I keep meaning to buy some HPT's to see if I still get a positive. I would hate to get a BFP only to find out it's because I still have hCG in my system from last time

I just wish I knew what was going on with my body!

Thanks for the responses, ladies...I really appreciate the feedback

Love
    Belle
    -xxxooo-

Hi Bel,

I had bleeding a few days after my d&c and it was red then brown for a few days, this was bleeding due to the d&c and wasnt a real af. I didnt have af for another 10 weeks after that. Check with your care giver if you are a little unsure of whether this was af or not. Your hcg levels need to go back down to 0 before you can ovulate again. I hope your cycles go back to normal soon sweets.

Good luck with it all and take care of yourself.

PS I notice you got married in Fiji last year - congrats - I went there on my honeymoon in June 05, and I saw heaps of weddings, and they were just beautiful (i was one of those wedding crashers - I think I went to about 10 weddings LOL!) .

goldilocks Guest

Thanks Lisa, that makes sense re. ovulation. Funnily enough, I did an HPT when I was about 8 weeks pg (I had one left and thought, why not!). I was expecting it to be very dark by that stage and it wasn't, it was much lighter than the control line. So I think my hCG levels started going down around then, and that's when my symptoms started disappearing too. That was 7 weeks ago so I hope all the hCG is gone by now! I might buy some HPT's tomorrow and see if they still show a postive.

Fiji is beautiful, isn't it! DH and I absolutely fell in love with the place and couldn't have been happier about getting married there (there are some photos on our website if you want to check it out ). We'd love to go back there to renew our vows every year! LOL

Love
    Belle
    -xxxooo-

It sounds like your levels should be pretty low, if not already at zero. Hoping your cycles are normal after this, as you can then plan for you next pg much easier. Mine are still a little all over the place.

Yes I looove Fiji - i want to go back there and make a holiday baby! How do i get access to your website, id love to see photos...

How are you doing overall? Hope your feeling better.

Lisa

goldilocks Guest

Yes, I hope so too! My cycles were fairly regular beforehand so hopefully they'll return to normal quite soon after the D&C. I can live in hope, anyway! LOL

If you click on my profile it should have a link to my homepage there Yes, a holiday baby made in Fiji would be awesome!!! It's amazing how many women fall pregnant on holidays...must be something to do with the lack of stress!

I'm feeling much better overall. Of course, I'd still love to be pregnant and I miss it desperately. Some days are worse than others, as anyone who has suffered a loss would know. I try not to think 'oh, I'd be 15 weeks pregnant tomorrow' and stuff like that because it'll just do my head in even more! At the moment I'm just focusing on the future and showing my DH how much I adore him

I hope to be joining you in the TTCAML forum very soon! I'm ready to go mentally and emotionally...now I just have to wait for my body to catch up!

Love
    Belle
    -xxxooo-

Good luck Belle, and I really hope you can join us soon.

I just checked out your homepage! You are one fine godilocks!! You and dh make a gorgeous couple, and I love your dress. Oh Belle, you and dh will make beautiful babies, hope its soon

audrey_1107 Guest

Smile hello

I got a D&C done a week ago today and I have been bleeding pritty much non stop since then the first day i didnt bleed at all. I two was wondering when it will stop. Ive been really depressed since then but finally the last two day have realized everything happens for a reason and the doctor said we can try right away after the two week apointment. thank you all you really helped me out

After my most recent m/c and D&C, I bled for 5 weeks!! In the last 1-2 weeks it was quite light but still very, very frustrating!