Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable To Carry A Boy??

hey everyone.............my sis have 3 boys......she was told by the doc that she is unable to carry a girl...........i am not sure weather its because of hormones but if its is so than it must be some rare caeses

paradise lost Guest

I'm not sure about women unable to carry one sex or another, but i do know a man who only makes good male sperm, all his female sperm (tests revealed only 16% were actually X sperm) were somewhat damaged, they think this, rather than her ody, is the cause of his wife losing the 2 girls she DID fall PG with. Maybe it's more of a male factor thing?

Bx

My MIL had 4 boys, and one late miscarriage - although he was a boy too!

I was always inclined to think it had more to do with the father than the mother - as the male ultimately determines the sex, as he carries both female and male sperm. The women just supplies the egg, which is essentially 'gender-less'. Perhaps certain males have an internal environment that is more hospitable to cultivating more male or female sperm? Perhaps the reason why the women miscarry a certain gender time and time again is because the sperm of that particular gender carry a weaker genetic disposition? Just putting it out there.....
    Its seems a bit medieval to me, for a doctor to just tell a women that she can't carry a certain gender. Like someone else mentioned about the movie The Other Boylen Girl, in the past, if a couple could not conceive a child the woman was deemed 'barron' and 'fruitless'- it was forbidden for anyone to suggest that there be anything wrong with the males fertility!!

ha ha- just saw your post, paradise lost - Bingo, I reckon!
    Last edited by JellyBean; July 2nd, 2009 at 06:08 PM.

my mother in law was unable to carry girls bizzare i know has anybody else heard of this ?

There are some genetic conditions that only effect one sex so essentially it is possible for a couple not to be able to have a baby of a certain sex if they are carriers of a condition. If you have had a number of miscarriages you can go and speak to a agenetic counsellor and have some tests done on both you and Dh to rule out any genetically fatal conditions. HTH

I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but my brothers ex-gf's mother was allergic to the estrogen (sp?) produced during pregnancy. Her first two pregnancies (a girl and then a boy) were fine, other than all day sickness for the entire pregnancy, but every pregnancy after that, she knew exactly when she concieved because as soon as fertilisation occured she'd be violently sick, and then every day and night from then on she'd be violently sick all the time.
    The next 8 pregnancies were all girls, and were all born between 20 and 34 weeks. Only 2 of them survived. I felt so sorry for her when she told me because her hubby was a complete d*head who never did anything for her and expected her to do all the housework and have babies every year because he didn't believe in contraception. It was only after they almost lost their youngest girl (born at 28wks) that her doctor said she had to have a hysterectomy because her health was at risk and she'd probably die if she got pregnant again.

Before Tom, I had five girls, and four early miscarriages. I always believed I just couldn't carry boys as I'd had a strong feeling the ones I lost were boys. When I found out Tom was a boy I was completely shocked!!!!

My DH is convinced that my m/c were boys. We have no evidence but with the girls pregnancies I had no issues at all. No early bleeding but with the m/cs I had early bleeding and everything just felt different. I guess I'll never know but a little part of me is sad that I may never have a son.

There is a history of turners syndrome in our family. I've been told that perhaps that the 2 m/c my mum had were boys due to this disease. From memory it is my father that is the carrier *just a thought*

Quote Originally Posted by ~Saram~ View Post
    There are some genetic conditions that only effect one sex so essentially it is possible for a couple not to be able to have a baby of a certain sex if they are carriers of a condition. If you have had a number of miscarriages you can go and speak to a agenetic counsellor and have some tests done on both you and Dh to rule out any genetically fatal conditions. HTH
    Hi everyone,

Would a chromosomal translocation test tell you or are there more indepth genetic tests which would pick this type of thing up? It does all seem so strange, I had never heard about this topic before...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12