Thread: Action, but no results...?

paradise lost Guest

Default Action, but no results...?

Hi,

Well DD is getting to that age. She tells me "poop" when she has done a wee or a poo in her nappy. We have potties and though she will sit on them she's never done anything in one iykwim. Recently i put her in training pants (just cloth but towelling so she has a few seconds to register the sensation before she's soaked through) because they were new and i wanted to see how she'd go and she was dry for 3 hours (!) and then did a wee on the floor and said "poop mama" afterwards.

I ordered a loo seat online, as she loves to come with me when i go to the loo and will play with loo roll etc. for ages, but was scared of sitting on the big seat (not surprising, she'd fall in!). Since we got it she's been going in 10 times a day and clambering it up onto it and sitting with a book (!) and saying "toilot" when i ask what she's doing (if you ask her that when she's on the potty she'll say "readins" or whatever she is doing - i don't think she gets that one would wee or poo in a pot in the livingroom because it's just the two of us and i never do that (obviously lol)). SHe will then take loo roll and wipe the outside of her trousers (she's still in normal nappies and a button under bodysuit vest) and then try to flush (not strong enough).

I bought a step for her today, so she can get on easier. But....what do i do now?

It's freezing here just now (midwinter) so i can't really let her run about with nothing much on, and she only seems to know that she's going after the event, but she's SO keen to copy mummy on the loo, it seems a shame to not use the enthusiasm...

Do i just wait until she can tell me beforehand? Or should i switch her to pull-ups? Or what?

Bx

Bec, this is a tough one, they all seem different. Jack would never sit on a potty - like Esme he wanted to do what mummy and daddy do, so was sitting on the toilet quite early on. He is only just (nearly) TT now, so it's been a long process but we are finally (nearly) there. I didn't use pull ups at all I just went straight to underpants, as I had been advised by a few people that pull ups aren't as effective as they don't feel wet for long enough. But I do know people who have used them with success so it is probably a child by child thing.

The approach that we have used is to put him in undies (usually with no pants over the top to reduce washing, but this might not work where it's cold) and just keep reiterating that wees and poos need to be done on the toilet. As first he'd wear undies only at home, and just for spells at a time (either before day sleep, or after). But once he was regularly using the toilet, even if there were still accidents, we went the whole hog and put him in undies all the time at home, and then to go out when he asked to wear undies. Touch wood, we have so far not had any accidents outside the home. It has taken a few months to get where we are now, but then I haven't been doing it consistently due to working 3 days a week and things. I think it would be quicker for you.

Best of luck with it. It isn't easy and it can be frustrating. But you will get there.

paradise lost Guest

That was why i hadn't bought pull-ups to be honest - just expensive sposies really...

Well maybe i'll let her try her pants a few hours a day and see how we go. She's too little for a star chart and such as yet too. That was going to be my big helper! LOL.

Bx

I would say just eekp going.. I bet in the next few weeks she takes to it.. It is a start and thats just right..

Take her to the toilet every 15 minutes or at least ask and then take her every half hour.. Eventually she will do something on there and go wow...

Good Luck..

oh and I agree on the pull ups.. they are expensive and IMO not worth it..

Pull-ups suck, I think they just confuse children. We use them for out and about at the moment with Yasin but as soon as we run out it's undies because when he has them on he doesn't bother telling me he needs to loo or the potty.
    I would just let her keep doing what she's doing and soon enough by accident something is bound to happen when she's on the loo. At that point you can make a bit of a fuss and so that she understands that she achieved something.
    Is she pretty regular in her habits? If she always has a poo after breakfast or pees after her nap you could pop her on the loo at those times to increase the chances of catching her in the act.
    If you knit maybe you could make some TT pants with long legs and a open bottom.