Thread: What results am I going to get?

Default What results am I going to get?

Well, I've had a few threads on here about fitness/health and exercise etc and I started questioning what I am doing after I had a chat to my sister. My sister gave me my exercise routine as it was what a personal trainer showed her, but now she has realised that it might not be what we want!!

I will first explain what I am doing at the gym...

Free weights - with my weights I put it up to a weight where I can feel it is. For example I am squatting with 30kg and I can do 9/11kg with a chest press.
    Cardio - about 20 mins - 15 mins before free weights, 5 mins afterwards
    Classes - BodyStep, RPM and BodyPump

What I am looking for is weight loss (I have another 10kg to lose to get to my ideal weight) as well as building some muscle, but not too much muscle!! Just to look nice and toned..

I feel like I am doing an all over and well balanced routine and I am getting results, but by doing what I am doing (lifting heavy weights) will I lose the inches around my waist and thighs or am I just going to build up the muscles and stay the same size I am?

I hope that that made sense! Its all a bit jumbled up in my head at the moment because I am really unsure of if what I am doing, I will get the results I want....

TIA

Maybe you should think about making your weights lighter, but increasing the reps. Say you were doing 10 squats with 30kg, do 30 squats with 10kg. That way your muscles get less bulk, but tone up nicely.
    Before getting pg I was well toned and had lost loads of centimeters, just by doing a lot of reps with 1.5kg dumbells and using my own bodyweight when doing squats and lunges, and yes cardio, cardio and more cardio for weight loss. The more toned you are, the more fat you will burn when doing cardio. Also your cardio must not be the heavy sweat-in-the-eyes-pass-out-and-then-vomit type, you must be able to keep up a conversation. That way you actually burn more fat. Strange hey? I did pick up about 2kg (muscle), but you could not see that because of the cm loss, kwim?

I think your routine looks absolutely yummy.
    You could always ask the gyminstructer his/her opinion.
    Ps. I am not an expert - this is just from my own experience

Thanks Nadine!!

That makes a load of sense too.. drop the weight but increase the reps. Cause I am doing only 10 reps with the 30kg. And also BodyPump is all about the repitition and I dont use much weight for that class cause off all the reps!!

makes a lot of sense And I would get some personal training sessions, but money is a bit tight with the wedding just around the corner!! Maybe in the new year..

paradise lost Guest

It's good to be able to do Bodypump numbers of reps with your weights but bear in mind that it's testosterone which allows us to grow muscle bulk - it is VERY hard for women to get big and bulky. My Bodypump instructor lifts her OWN WEIGHT (50kg) for the chest and squats tracks but she is lithe and toned, not at all bulky.

Bx

I think that if you manage to go to the gym regulary with that routine until the 16th Dec, you would see the difference by then.
    Very true about the testosterone! So if you feel that 10kg is to light, you could bump it up a bit. Starting off slowly is really good. Don't want to pull a mucsle and not be able to work it, when you have made your mindshift, kwim?

Good luck & Congratulations!!

I think the workouts that you are doing sound great. With the squats and the chest press try doing 3 sets of 10 reps and find a weight that you are comfortable with. If that's 30K then awesome - as Hoobley said you will not bulk up by doing heavy weights unless you are taking something like a steroid.

You haven't said how often you do each thing - just remember to take at least one days break between Pump classes - do not do them on consecutive days, you need to give your muscle time to repair.

And Hoobley - OMG to your instructor pressing 50K in chest during Pump - that is insane!

paradise lost Guest

Rachel you should SEE this girl go! She's amazing! And you can see she is having to really try too, so it's sort of encouraging and inspiring. The other instructor is more normal, has a 15 month old son and lifts about 20kg tops. I lift 7kg! LOL

Bx

ETA - just now the chest routine is a drop set so she lifts 50 for the first half and then 35 i think.

Umm, I wouldn't be worried... what you are currently doing sounds great!
    The heavier weights are really good for building your overall strength up, which is important, but I don't think they will bulk you up.... I think you will still lose the inches that you desire!
    Goodluck!!

(now thinking I cant wait to get back to gym and back into my weights once bubs is born!!)

Thanks for all your replies everyone!!

I am seeing results with what I am doing so I will continue on cause I really do love my routine. I will see what my sis brings back from Sydney next time she visits Perth, maybe its different and I will take some on board or I will keep going how I am going.

Rachel - I only do the BodyStep, RPM and BodyPump once a week. So Bodystep is Monday night, RPM Tuesday night and BodyPump on Wednesday night. If I go to the gym on Thursday I make sure that I only do cardio so my muscles can have a break. What I have started doing is working legs only one day, next day I will work shoulders/back and then the next day will be chest and miscellaneous stuff that I have got. So I am making sure my muscles get a break between each session too.

Well talking about resting muscles, I do my stomach exercise every day and its pretty much the same each day. Is this OK or should I be resting those muscles as well?

Ambah - when I got back to the gym after having Avaleigh it was amazing!! I just felt so good and felt so much more in to it. Before Avaleigh I lost interest in it, probably because I was pregnant and couldnt do what I used to. But now, its so much better and its probably even better because I have a goal I am working towards.

To tell you the truth i'm not really sure about abs. I do my abs every day as well so I should probably find out...

Hoobley - my instructor is like that, soooo inspiring! Although I was thinking about becoming Les Mills qualified but she kinda puts me off - I know i'd never be as good as that!

paradise lost Guest

You should talk to her, i'll bet she will be SO encouraging!

Bx

I don't think there is a problem with doing abs everyday. I personally like ab-work. I think that you can vary the exercises and that way work different muscels in the abs, kwim? Like do ball-work one day, crunches the next, weights the next. Don't know if I am explaining right. There are loads of exercises to work your abs and the different "zones" in your tummy area. By doing different excerises, you can "reach" lots of different "zones". That way you tone the whole area, instead of just the area under your boobs by just doing example crunches.

Speaking about ab-works outs, what is everyone's favourite? I need some inspiration as my abs are my least favourite muscle to work.

Ok, I like holding a medicine ball up in the air with my legs straight up and doing crunches to try and touch my toes with the ball.
    Or, lie flat on your back and slowly lower both legs (or one to begin with, or keep knees bent) to just above the floor and then bring them back up again. The most important thing with that though is that you keep your lower back flat on the floor. If it rises up then take a lower option.
    Or, lie on your back with your legs in the air and scissor them (accorss each other). Lower option is to keep them higher, advanced is to lower them, keep them straight and raise your shoulders off the floor.

For the obliques (sides) I like putting both knees over on one side with your torso square to the front and doing crunches like that.
    Or, the "bicycle", bring the opposit elbow to knee and straighten the other leg off the floor (if you can).
    Or, sit up on your bum and twist witha medicine ball so it ALMOST touches the floor either side of your bum. Advanced option is to lift your feet off the floor.

Or you can go the ggod old plank (hover). Go on your elbows and toes (advanced) or knees for beginners and don't move! Remember to keep dead straight and don't lift your bum in the air. Switch on your abs to protect your lower back and if you feel it hurting drop down a level (to your knees) You can also do it to the side - lean on your elbow and lift your hips off the floor. The lower option is to keep your knees and lower leg on the floor and the higher option is to push off so only your ankle and elbow are on the ground.

Phew! I've got heaps more but i'm too tired!

I recommend a book called "The Body Sculpting Bible for Women". Can't remember who it's by (it's packed up in a box atm). Don't be fooled by the title, it's not designed for body sculptors! It shows you all sorts of exercises and diet plans and even has 2 week and 14 week weights and exercise programs. All you need is a pair of adjustable handweights to do it at home. I did the program in the book a couple of years ago along with using my cross trainer and lost 10kg in about 3-4 months. I didn't follow their diet plans because I thought they were just too plain but instead just ate sensibly and cut out all the junk food.

Rachel - that plank thing, we call it a GI Jane!! I hate that excercise!!!! You can do it on a excercise ball too, that is excellent for those flabby abs.
    You can even do it the wrong way around. Sit straight up, knies bent slightly but comfy away from your body, lean back and put your hands - fingers towards your butt - on the floor about 20cm from your butt. Breath in and push up, keep your body straight, head back and your abs in, keep position for 20 counts, do three reps. Great for back muscles and that stubborn shoulder muscles - you'll feel what muscles I mean
    My favorite abs buster is the vanilla plain crunch. I LOVE doing crunches and crunches with your hands straight up in the air and reaching for the roof. For obliques I like the one you take weights and keep them at your sides and just bend from side to side and CRUNCH as you do that. If you really, really consentrate hard on the obliques, you get excellent results. To give a whole new meaning to pain just lean ever so slightly backwards and CRUNCH *ouch*