Thread: How is the best way to toilet train a boy? Sitting or standing?

Default How is the best way to toilet train a boy? Sitting or standing?

Our little guy is 2 1/2 and finally showing signs he is ready to be toilet trained.

Do you teach little boys to stand or sit?

Would value all opinions!

Thanks
    Narelle

Standing, actually I never really thought about it. He watched his dad pee and did it exactly the same, so thats the way he did it! I don't think I know anyone who trained a boy sitting down...

LOL Lulu, I trained Lindsay sitting down first, and then he stood to wee once he was confident with the whole thing. I figured that once he could control his urge to go, he wouldn't leave it till the last minute when he was busting and therefore his aim would be more controlled too

Wish this post came earlier then! He pees everywhere.......but then again he sometimes waits till the last minute ggrrrrr.

We did sitting with both kids, and Kameron still sat till he started school. Lachlan was standing from as soon as he could reach. We will do sitting as well with Ashton.

Love

I have trained all the boys sitting down first and they eventually go to stand up wees..

To help with their aim (and also encouraging them to stand up), I suggest a ping pong ball in the bowl and ask them to aim at the ball. It is fun and the ball does not go down the toilet when flushed so you don't need to fish it out every time.

This is what my mother/sister did for my nephew and it worked a treat. They very rarely had to clean up the toilet after "mis-fires".

I have taught all my boys sitting down. It helps till their aim is better, but the biggie is it can be VERY hard to teach them to sit to do poo's, after being taught to stand, so just be aware he'll need to be taught to sit too!!!!

Yep, sitting here too. Height is an issue too - I think it's harder to aim when they are standing on a step (too busy playing!) and they can't reach otherwise.

Sitting here as well, though he will occassionally stand if he feels like it.

Sitting here.

Charlie went through the toilet training bizzo at 2.5, from the sitting position. Largely as that is what he saw Olivia and I do all the time!

However, once he got the urge thing sorted in his head, he then started standing on a step and weeing standing up.

And bless DH......he has taught him to put the seat back down.....LOL!

Yeah, Jack goes through stages of wanting to stand like Daddy, usually after he's seen kids doing it at day care. But he was happy to sit in the beginning, and still does now a lot of the time.

Hamish is sitting too, occasionally he stands, he has had issues were his tshirt has fallen down while he was standing and we had wee every were he also got very upset.
    so for now he sits.

Sitting here as well. Every now and then Sammy will stand and does a pretty good job not missing..sometimes

Jo

We trained our DS with sitting first. Once he got the hang of it he wanted to stand up just like his daddy and has ever since.

I taught Nick sitting in the beginning then he wanted to stand like dad
    Ryan has been standing from the beginning because he wanted to copy dad and Nick

I tried some toilet training with my son yesterday. He is 20 mths old and tells me when he is doing wee or pooh in his nappy so I got the potty out and also the smaller toilet seat step that goes over the toilet. For some reason the toilet itself scares him. I just wanted to take his nappy off and see what he did. The only time he weed in the potty was when i sat him on it to watch TV. The rest of the time he just weed wherever he was, so I am not sure whether he is ready. I taught him sitting down as he is nowhere near ready for standing, holding & aiming. We'll try again today but if no luck, no stress, we'll put it away until he is a bit older.