Thread: Not sure what I'm doing wrong

Default Not sure what I'm doing wrong

My little girl Jessica just turned 2 last Tuesday. For about the last 4 months she has been doing wees on the potty. Sometimes she would take her nappy off to go & other times she'd have an accident. I never really pushed her, just asked her constantly if she wanted to do wees etc... We then implemented the training pants for during the day at home but we'd put a nappy on her when we would go out because she wouldn't come & ask us to go to the toilet, she'd just go & do it by herself & then come & tell me she had done wees on the potty.

Now that she's turned 2, I have been keeping nappies completely off her at home during the day (except for sleep time), & have started taking her out on small expeditions with her knickers on. I make sure she wees before we go & then we'll go to the shop & grab some milk or go for a walk around the block or something. If I have to go out for a while, I do put a nappy on her but generally I have been taking her in her knickers & taking the potty with us.

Some days she goes the whole day without any accidents & she's even doing Number 2's on the toilet most days as well, but it seems that if she has 1 accident, then they just keep on coming.

At first I'd just mop up the floor & tell her next time to use the toilet, but now it's a game & she laughs when she pees in her knickers & so we have started to tell her that naughty girls do wees in their knickers & good girls do wees on the toilet. When you ask her where to do wees & Number 2's she says 'big girls toilet'.

She's not dumb by any account, I know that she's only 2, but she is a very clever little cookie.

I'm just getting frustrated because there are days when she is absolutely perfect & I think that we have got everything rock solid & then there are days like today when I have more pairs of knickers in the wash than I do in her drawer!

Has anybody else had these issues? People tell me it will just 'click' one day & there will be no going back, but it does 'click' for a day, & then the next day it's all forgotten. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for all your help/suggestions!!!

Love Jayne xox

Jayne- i have the same problem, Madison when we are home will use her potty and have no accidents unless she is outside and forgets about it, I even took her out the other day with out a nappy on, but she did have an accident but she really did not like it. HOwever she sent the night at my mums house and had to be put back into nappies.
    Also she will tell me when she has done a poo straight away, it is fustratimg as they know when they have to go but they refuse to.
    Sorry i have no advice just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one out there having troubles

jayne this probably sounds awfull but some family friends of mine were having alot of trouble toilet training their daughter (she was alot older the jessica) anyway her Nanna bought her a few pairs of very special nickers and said "if you wee in these nanny will take them off you" i know that is crewel they were never taken off her but she was soo good when she wore those nickers LOL

Don't worry too much Jayne. My niece turns 3 in April and she is only just toilet trained (most days). Charlotte would often do #2 in her pants and then tell her mum but this has improved and she is sooooooo excited when she does #1 in the potty that she wants to take it out to show you Just a little bit messy!!

Unfortunately I don't have any advice for how to make it better but Jessica is doing a GREAT job of being toilet trained at her age (and so is her mummy too )

Some little ones can go through stages of defiance. It's almost as if they are doing it in their pants because they can control it IYKWIM.
    I've had these issues with both of my boys.
    The way I've gotten through it is rewards (or bribes ).
    A choc bit or you could try a star chart. If you're worried about the chocolate I can tell you that after a while they run out or I "forget" to buy some more. Hopefully by then they are in a toileting habit again.

Thank you so much for your responses.

I have done the sticker trick & also the chocky trick, perhaps I should start that up again. I have been singing a little song to her & clapping my hands & making a massive deal about it just lately that sends her into hysterics, so I will continue with that & add a smartie or something into it.

After my big whinge this afternoon, it was like the light switched again & she went back to being super-perfect & she also wore her knickers to Nanna's for dinner & did about 4 wees & had not 1 accident. This afternoon she also started crying after I put her to bed & she got really upset & ripped her nappy off saying 'Jessica not like nappies, take it off'. She took it off, put her knickers back on & laid down & promptly went to sleep. So I got two old towels, put a garbage bag inbetween them & slid the towels under her bottom so if she did have an accident in her sleep she wouldn't wet the bed. She woke up completely dry & did a massive wee not long after she woke up. I made a BIG DEAL of the song that time! LOL.

She has also been given some character knickers for her birthday which she calls 'big girls knickers' & wants to wear those all the time rather than the terry towelling training pants, so I have been telling her that if she keeps on weeing her knickers she'll have to give them back, so I guess we're all on the same wavelength in the bribery stakes! LOL.

I'm feeling much better about it all tonight, I just have moments where it's frustrating, I think I've just got so much on my mind atm that it's just playing on it even more. I have been lying awake thinking about it!

Thanks again all of you & I'll let you know how we go in the next couple of days!

Love Jayne xox