Thread: What type of potty do you recommend?

Default What type of potty do you recommend?

I have started looking for a potty for my babies. And have come across so many, I'm now confused to which one to try. I was thinking just the $7 plastic one would be the go, but all these new whiz bang ones look impressive. One in perticular that could be used as a sitting potty, then a seat on the toilet with a stepping stool, then will turn into a chair.

What do you all think? Which potty do you use (well your kids) and which do you recommend?

Thanks.

I took Yasin to BigW and let him pick his own. I got them down and let him sit on them and he picked the cheap one.

i was chatting to an old lady the other day and she said for girls just a regular potty is fine but for a boy to get a cup with 2 handles and to use it; as boys are harder to teach and they can hold it and see whats happening sounds interesting. after i was told this i mentioned it to a few people and quite a few of them in the old days used this method, andall had their babies trained by 18months.

im not sure how my cousin did it but her 2y/o twins are 100% toilet trained. she says its the cloth nappies that helped.

anyway don't know if this is much help.
    good luck.

I would say forget the fancy one.

MIL got the musical one for a lark and it was a nightmare because the boys would stand up and shove their hand in it to make it chime and the bowl comes out so they would pull it out and put it on their head Neither of them ever did anything on it.

Mine TT close together as Mason was late with it and Angus was early so I go 2 cheapies from BigW which they have used no probs.

Lol Sam, we have the same here. My boys sit side by side on their potties and talk - it cracks me up. I hope I get a photo before it's over to embarees them with when they're older.

DS is beginning to TT himself (first wee on the toilet yesterday!)

I have a feeling my son will be the way he is with everything else - won't use a baby thing and will insist on the real deal (i.e. no highchair, only sits at booster seat at table etc).

I saw these things which was like a step up to the real toilet, and it also had a seat part on it so they don't fall in (hope i explained that well enough). Has anyone had one?

I just feel like he won't use an actual potty, he wants to use our toilet, and it's too high to get him just one of those smaller sized seats cos he can't get up by himself.

Anyone had the same problem?

Thanks ladies. I thought the cheap ones would be the way to go. I might let her choose one next time we are at big w. She has just started showing interested in the toilet, and is saying poo poo or wee wee, so I just thought having it there will do no harm, and just asking her when she says it if she wants to sit on potty, and I guess she will when she is ready, right? Do you all think this is a good way of doing it? I just don't want to pressure her at all, but I want it there so if she wants to, she can us it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jambin just sits on an old tommy turtle one that his great-nana gave to us. It works fine and isn't anything fancy. Of course, he's just sitting on it for fun at the moment, although we've had a few poos and wees in it, more by accident than design.

Mummy Mel, that sounds like a great way of doing it. Whatever works for you is the best way
    I've been TT Yasin with bribes and Imran has been TT himself to keep up so for us it's 2 totally different methods at the same time.

yep we have the little toilet seat that goes on the big toilet. i prefer it cause you dont have to clean it out when DD has succesfully done her business. i just ask her and i have to lift her up when she says she will go on it, but i have a little stool that i am gonna use at some point. also i just sit in the doorway and sing songs or give her a book to hold while she is just sitting there. sometimes she does sometimes she doesnt. oh yeah, we wave bye bye to the poos and wees too so she isnt scared of the flushing at all. the only thing is, you really gotta rush her to the toilet cause it is up the hallway, so i reckon a potty would be good to have close by.

We've started out with the cheap little plastic one. We had bought a gorgeous padded winnie the pooh seat with handles but it isn't really practical as DD can't get up and down by herself as she is still that bit too short even with a step, and I am bf DD#2 atm so not that easy when her wees coincide with bf times! Am thinking of finding one of those seats that have a few steps, side rails and a seat that sits over the top of the toilet as not a huuuuuge fan of cleaning out the potty (but my trick is lining the potty with toilet paper as makes cleaning out poos so much easier and nicer! Hehe! ) and I will feel more confident DD climbing up and down by herself iykwim.

I saw one of them Charlygrog at Big W, I thought it looked like a good idea. It wasn't that expensive either, I think it was on special one time for about $20.

Ooh! Thanks for that Mummy Mel! Will go check it out

Darcy much prefers the step ladder type contraption at Nans than the potty we have - yet she won't let me hold her on the loo - go figure...