Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating According to Blood Type

Default Eating According to Blood Type

I was just wondering if anybody else does this?

Apparently our ability to digest and process foods is dictated by our ancestry... ie Asians don't process dairy products as well as Europeans because dairy hasn't been a part of their diets for thousands of years.

One of the indicators of ancestry is your blood type, broadly speaking anyhow. Type A blood, for example, is common in certain areas like Japan (but not so much in other Asian countries) and Western Europe eg Scandinavia. Type A is less common in Africa where Type O originates. These two cultures have very different eating patterns so their bodies process foods in differing ways eg type A process fish more efficiently and type O processes mammal proteins more efficiently etc.

Apparently you are healthier if you eat according to your ancestry and therefore blood type. Also, disease is often attributed to ignoring your ancestry eg Japanese people suddenly choosing Western diets gain weight, develop bad skin etc... even if they eat healthy Western diets... their bodies just aren't geared to process wheat and dairy.

Anyhow I don't think I've done a very good job of explaining it but there are good books about on the subject. At first I thought it was another fad diet but I'm a pretty sceptical kinda person (who also loved biology and other science subjects at school LOL) and it seems to make sense to me. Anybody else know anything or follow it?

BTW I'm a type A... basically Anglo with Swedish blood from my father's side (he is also type A)... I suspect dairy foods don't agree with me so I'm thinking of trying to adhere to the type A diet to see if it helps.

Bath my DH has spent some time eating according to his blood type (he is also an A) because suffers from psoriasis (sp) quite badly. I think someofthe things that were on his list of foods to avoid were dairy, wheat, tomatos (he cant quite remember all of them). It made quite a difference to his skin, although we are not so good anymore but he still tries to avoid most dairy, and limit his wheat intake.

Wow, I'm A+ and I get really bad skin when I touch tomatoes!

Wow, Very interesting. I don't know what to cook for dinner tonight now. My husband is Japanese and A blood type and I am O.

My naturopath is inclined to this type of eating. I'm type A and I found that the things I love to eat were all in the definitely not category! It was too much of a stretch for me to adapt - I'd only do it if I was really unwell and needed to do something desperate.

Wow that's really interesting Bath.

I am O+ so I may google it and see what I find...

I would love to try it!! Sounds promising...Do you know the names of any of the books off hand??

Theres one called Eat (or eating??) right for your type by a Dr Dadamo??

Thanks Rayla!!

Yep, that's the book I've got... it's very good. I've just done the weekly grocery shop and have bought a few more foods that are meant to be good for me as a type A. I'm an A+ too but I don't think it matters whether you are A- or A+ or for any of the other types.

So I bought some soy milks that I used to drink back in my teenage years (strange I didn't know about it then but I kinda felt that the soy milk was better for me). It'll take a bit of getting used to again but if it helps with my increasing sinus issues I'll be pleased (a possible dairy problem i have I think).

I really need to keep a journal on all this... as well as my In-Liven use.

Both DH and I are group A and don't have any of the A problems! We're lucky, I suppose. Dairy, wheat and tomatoes, right? So my cheese and tomato sandwich for lunch won't go down too well with this diet LOL.

I do recall reading an article on blood types and personality, which was very interesting. Aparently A-types are meant to be all analytical and sciency, which works for DH and me, just not a few other As that we know.

Hmmm, blood type and personality! That sounds interesting! Yep, I'd say i'm anaytical and I love science. I think i need to Google...

ETA: Ok, here is what I found!

Personality Traits By Blood Type - A Japanese Concept
    Guest Author - Melanie Shintaku

Beginning in approximately 1930, the Japanese embraced the idea of matching personality traits with one's blood type. This phenomenon is as popular in Japan as the idea of matching horoscope with personality is in the States.

Almost all Japanese are aware of their blood type. The idea began when some in the west were touting the idea that the asian peoples were more closely related to animals then humans, or lower on the evolutionary chain, since type B blood was the predominant blood type in asians and animals. As ludicrous and unscientific as this idea was, it was insulting to say the least. Modern science disproves this obviously faulted idea. In the 1930's Furukawa Takeji (1891–1940) set out to disprove this notion and a new idea was born.

However, the idea of personality traits being influenced by blood type remains. Companies in Japan even had divided workers by blood type.

Here are the general ideas of each blood type. The Rh factor plays no role in the blood type/personality idea:

Type O:
    Type O's are outgoing, and very social. They are initiators, although they don't always finish what they start. Creative and popular, they love to be the center of attention and appear very self confident.

Type A:
    While outwardly calm, they have such high standards (perfectionists) that they tend to be balls of nerves on the inside. Type A's are the most artistic of the blood groups. They can be shy, are conscientious, trustworthy, and sensitive.

Type B:
    Goal oriented and strong minded, type B's will start a task and continue it until completed, and completed well. Type B's are the individualists of the blood group categories and find their own way in life.

Type AB:
    Type AB's are the split personalities of the blood groups. They can be both outgoing and shy, confident and timid. While responsible, too much responsibility will cause a problem. They are trustworthy and like to help others.

Compatability by Blood Groups:
    A is most compatible with A and AB

B is most compatible with B and AB

AB is most compatible with AB, B, A and O

O is most compatible with O, and AB
    Last edited by Bathsheba; March 8th, 2008 at 12:21 PM.

I'm already confused about the contradictions between my Chinese and my Western hororscope and now I need to factor my blood type in too.
    So just when I'd got my head around the fact that I'm a staid and money/status loving earth sign yet find no worth in money I discover that I'm also artistic and sensitive

I'm an AB and DH is an O. So I guess we got the compatability thing right anyways. Interesting theory.
    How do I find out what I get to eat?

ETA: Here you go, for anyone else who was curious.

Foods Emphasized

Type O was the blood type of the earliest humans, who were skilled hunters and subsisted on a diet of wild game and edible plants growing wild in the forests. As a result, the diet for individuals with Type O blood emphasizes the importance of animal flesh and vegetables. If you are Type O, you are encouraged to eat lean beef, lamb, turkey, chicken, and seafood. In addition, azuki beans, pinto beans, kale, collard greens and all fruits are considered to be beneficial.

Individuals with Type A blood thrive on a plant-based diet and should consume large amounts of raw or steamed vegetables, lentils, soy beans (and soy products), pinto beans, black beans and whole grains. Berries and plums are also beneficial. Occasional consumption of poultry and fermented dairy products is also well tolerated.

The diet for individuals with Type B blood is more varied than the other blood type diets. If you have Type B blood, you are encouraged to eat seafood, beef, lamb, and dairy products. Oats and millet, green vegetables, and all fruits are beneficial.

Individuals with Type AB blood are encouraged to eat lamb, turkey, cultured dairy products (yogurt and sour cream), eggs, rice, tofu, plums and cherries.

Foods Avoided

Individuals with Type O blood must strictly avoid eggs and dairy foods, breads and pastas made from wheat, cabbage and Brussel sprouts, and corn.

Individuals with Type A blood should eliminate all meat products, whole fat dairy products, peppers, tomatoes, and tropical and citrus fruits.

Individuals with Type B blood are encouraged to avoid chicken, bacon, ham, and shellfish entirely. In addition, it is recommended that individuals with Type B blood limit consumption of beef, wheat, rye, tomatoes and corn.

Individuals with Type AB blood must strictly avoid all smoked or cured meats and limit consumption of beef, wheat, corn, tropical fruits, oranges and bananas.

Hmmmmm..... I don't think I could last too long on this diet! No beef, bread or bacon? Nope.
    Last edited by Cricket; April 11th, 2008 at 10:57 AM.

I find it easy to avoid red meat. But I struggle with avoiding dairy and tomatoes. I think the trouble is you get into bad habits as a child perhaps... i NEED to find out what my children are!

I heard of this while in Japan - they have horoscopes of different blood types too!

I'm getting back into this! And i have downloaded the iphone App so finding out what food suits what type won't be so hard!

I have also discovered that my DH and DD are type O's which explains why different foods seem to agree with him and not me and visa versa. he struggle with garlic and i love the stuff... he says it makes him feel too 'acidy'. i never feel acidy (because people with type A blood appaprently have low levels of stomach acid).

I suspect my 6yo is type A... but need to wait until he needs blood taken for something else... doctors don't seem to like making requests to determine blood type apparently... especially in kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Foods Emphasized

Type O was the blood type of the earliest humans, who were skilled hunters and subsisted on a diet of wild game and edible plants growing wild in the forests. As a result, the diet for individuals with Type O blood emphasizes the importance of animal flesh and vegetables. If you are Type O, you are encouraged to eat lean beef, lamb, turkey, chicken, and seafood. In addition, azuki beans, pinto beans, kale, collard greens and all fruits are considered to be beneficial.

Foods Avoided

Individuals with Type O blood must strictly avoid eggs and dairy foods, breads and pastas made from wheat, cabbage and Brussel sprouts, and corn.
    Oh dear - I eat virtually none of the foods that I should except for the fruit, greens and beans and I eat loads of teh foods that i shouldn't except for brussel sprouts as I don't really like them I would die if I didn't eat eggs and dairy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast