Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappy Making #5

I could kick myself in the ar$e for it....the dame bobbin was all clogged underneith and I cracked it and just pulled the hole dame lot in frustration!

I got 3 things embroided...2 cow covers and a yellow Mr happy cover but I wanted to do more!!!!

STUPID STUPID!!!!!

Arrrgh no! What a bugger So did it start stalling again?

That's still a fair bit of embroidering Maz. I am still scared of my embroidery machine and I've almost had it a year!

More mcns on my blog now.

Oh I have to share....went I took in Bertha (embroidery machine) I was havinga nosey around and found cow print minkee :0 for $16m. I sasked the sales owman (who had no idea) were the label was as I wanted to double check if it was 100% polyester but she said...oh i dont know..stupid woman. Im going to wait until monday and ring...but **** $16 a meter can you believe it!

OMG you found minky in a shop! And for a reasonable price!
    When I found it in a quilting shop is was $45 per metre

jgal settle down you're putting me to shame ROFL! I need to focus on tidying the house for a little bit but I'll drag the machines out this week hopefully and finish the others I cut out.

Looks like I am going to jump back in with you gals, I hope I can keep up, I don't even post in my belly or baby buddies much anymore It is impossible to craft and chat!!!

I still have that bamboo fleece from the co-op way back and I have done nothing with it, I haven't even taken the scissors to it. I may have washed it as I think that is what was recommended. I was going to start by buying on of the nappy making kits and see how I go. It isn't too hard is it?

Anyway, so hello again and hopefully I can keep up
    Last edited by ~Raven~; October 29th, 2008 at 06:49 PM.

i cant believe yourve got bamboo fleece form way back then. God ive gone through loads of it since...lol...Ive just gotten another 10m of it sitting here that I have to cut into and wash tonight.

Jed went out and bought me nioce new cupboards for in my sewing corner...only trouble is now I have to try and get all my material in there.....maz thinks jed should have bought another 2 cupboards

I have one cupboard of just minkee...oh lordy
    Last edited by ~Raven~; October 29th, 2008 at 06:49 PM.

Hahaha, the bamboo fleece had been collecting dust alongside the sewing machine and yet it still continues to collect dust, won't be for much longer though. I have 1 bag sewn and 4 more nearly finished with 2 more to start which might get done tomorrow arvo so I can get them listed asap, I am determined not to spend my savings, I like watching my bank account grow even in minute amounts

Now a nappy question, I bought Noah some MD's and one was a Micro Doodle, everytime I put it on him he gets the worst rash, is it the microfleece? What should I use to make my nappies with instead as the layer next to his skin? What is it that BG and GK uses?

I would love to see your sewing corner Maz, I am so jealous My kitchen table doubles as my sewing area...
    Last edited by ~Raven~; October 29th, 2008 at 06:50 PM.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i think Monkey doodles use MICRO FLEECE as their staydry inner layer.

Greenkids and bum genius use SUEDECLOTH as their staydry inner layer.

my child started reacting to both microfleece and suedecloth, so i switched to natural fibre inners e.g bamboo velour, cotton velour, flannelette, sherpa, bamboo, hemp.

and the MCN i kept that has the inners she reacts to, i just use them sparingly, with a cotton velour double layer homesewn liner, lying inside them.

I moved Isla out of my room in to the spare room yesterday AKA my sewing room. All my stuff is still in the corner it was so I am hoping if I can keep it organised I can keep it in there & just bring out the sewing machine/overlocker if I want to sew at night.
    She slept in there all night with out a peep. The room is pink so it was just waiting for her. DH wasn't so keen but I think he just has trouble of letting them grow up & realising its time to take that next step. After all I can't really have TWO children in my room espeically when one is a newborn & will be up every few hours. I think Isla would wake each time. Plus when she has her little midnight screaming fits, she will wake the baby.
    But most of all, if Isla is in the "spare" room the IL's will have no where to stay when they visit.... what a shame.

So all of my not in use materials are all packed & shoved under beds. the stuff I am most likely to want to use is in my bedroom cupboard & then all my other need access to all the time atm is still piled on top of the sewing table.
    Will sort that out today & try & get most of it done so I can pack it away too.

Thanks Gigi, I thought GK and BG were the same for the stay dry. Noah is all good with that thank goodness, it would be a blow if it wasn't, the nappies are so expensive. So which of those materials you mentioned keep bubs bum dry, oh and is soft.

Fiona, does your DH like co-sleeping? Can you get him to have a chat with my DP? Juz hates co-sleeping. I just feel so much safer and happier with everyone together. That and there is nothing like having your little ones arms around your neck and being nose to nose all night listening to their snores. Good luck with the move!

Well my sewing machine decided it didn't want to work anymore, I have 2 finished bags 4 with the bottoms open and 2 ready to get started so this nappy venture looks a little way off unless I can figure out what the problem is.

For starters, it is Homemaker brand The tension knob does not work the thread keeps coming off the loop bit that goes up and down which means constant rethreading about every 10 mins, all of that was fine and I was coping with it but now the bobbin thread gets loopy and bunchy on the bottom and it is like it is not being caught by the needle every time. In the whole 2 years I have had the machine I have never properly cleaned or oiled it so I will do that today. I changed the needle so that isn't the problem. Thankfully for Freecycle I have a sewing machine coming my way in the near future and then I might be able to send this one off for repairs to keep it as my backup. I am actually thinking of getting the Brother Innovis 900 in a few months time.

Anyway, time to shower and go on the great big orange pumpkin hunt before I tackle my sewing machine

Ah ok, a few pointers
    1, your needle should be changed after every 8 to 10 HOURS of sewing.
    2, The needle you use will have a great effect on your sewing. You need to use the appropriate needle for the material you are working with.
    3, homemaker brand is a generic brand of sewing machine. You will find the exact machine with a differen "brand" slapped on it in Aldi, ebay etc. Its a cheap machine that simply wont handle the layers of MCN (trust me )
    4, Don't waste your maney repairing it. If you want a back up just buy another one LOL,probably cost the same as repairs.
    5, don't just defluff & oil your machine. Depending on its use it should be serviced (professionally) every 12 months, but more frequent with the amount of use the average MCN sewer would use.
    6, Don't Blow in yur machine to remove fluff, you will be blowing moisture into it & there for risk of rust

Umm what else... If your tension isn't right, look at your needle. It can often be that not your tension.

On Co-sleeping, if he doesn't like it there is always the couch. LOL
    Last edited by ~Raven~; October 29th, 2008 at 06:51 PM.

When I was on ML with Austy I made nappies to sell (my own pocket nappy pattern) but just sold through word of mouth - I knew I'd be back at work as an engineer sooner or later so it didn't work for me to set up a business. The problem was I undersold myself and found people ordering in batches of 20 at a time. Good for the bank account, but I felt like Austy was missing out as I had so many plans to make things for him but found myself tied to making heaps of nappies. Probably why I am having trouble getting myself to make pocket nappies now as I am just over it. A freind did ask to go halvies with me in the very baby license and set up a business together selling my mei tai slings (I made one for Austin off my own pattern that she thought was great and very sellable) as well as very baby nappies (VBSN's were very much in demand then and Erica's was teh only place you could buy them if you hyena'd them) and breastpads, her wrap around slings and the odd clothing set OOAK for bbabies and toddlers. Was a great idea, but since I pull the big bucks out of DH and I, tehre was no convincing him to let me stay home and be a WAHM. She went on to set up her own business but just sells wrap around slings. I'm also one of those people who is much happier making one of everything - I get bored when I have to make heaps of the same thing. Although for some reason I am loving making the very baby naps! I have just run out of hemp, sherpa and bamboo though so I have to stop for a little bit till more arrives...

Oooooohhhh! I got 3 gorgeous minkee cuts (and yummy chocolates!) in the mail today AND a parcel of bamboo fleece! So tempted now to get onto the AIO's, but I am pretty tired tonight, and have to make another curtain tonight as the rest of the curtain fabric is due on Friday and I don't want to have to make them all at once...

I can at least throw the bamboo in the washing machine though.

LMS, Fiona has some great pointers there, and she is right about a cheap machine getting through those thick layers. A cheaper model (like a base model) of a reputable brand should set you back no more that $200 and you'd be much better off than with a cheap brand. In addition, a walking foot really helps with feeding those layers through. Also, if your bobbin is catching, perhaps it is in the bobin case the wrong way around? Check to make sure it's winding the right way as per the diagram in the instruction book - it's amazing how bad things can go if it goes around the wrong way.

Thanks girls, I might get my innovis 900 sooner now, I managed to loosen the bit that needs to be loosened to wind up bobbins, I fixed the upper tension knob, I can now adjust it again. I got a new makeup brush and it is now my sewing machine cleaner and gave it an oil. Everything seems to be normal except that if I go fast the stitches on the bottom are loose so I think that is the top thread. They are less loose if I go slow. I bought new needles and popped one in to be sure it is new and that didn't help either. I am just too tired to deal wth it now and have other things on my plate all the sudden although sewing would be a welcome distraction.

Do you think the innovis 900 would be good to do MCN's? As I said MCN's are not my priority but it would be nice if I could make them when I want and not have to worry about a machine giving up the ghost.

As for nappy patterns, I have an idea in my head, I just need to put it on paper and do a mock up of it. I imagine it would be difficult to not copy aspects of nappy patterns as there are only so many things you can do. Now just to learn how to draft a pattern but that is another story altogether. I just grab things and sew and learn from my mistakes that way, trial and error

Thanks for the tips ladies, off to have a hot leon and feel sorry for myself before hitting the hay.

Have fun with your curtain Jgal!

Fiona, it looks like he is on the couch now anyway, things have a funny way of working out.

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

someone showed me a basic nappy pattern they bought in spotlight!! i didn't realise spotters HAD nappy patterns. it was KWIK*SEW 2062 - too wide for what we need, but great place to start if you've never seen a nappy pattern before.

FJ - when i overlock the cotton velour liners, there is SO MUCH fluff inside the machine, i have been huffing and puffing to get it out! whoops, didn't know that was wrong. thanks for your tips.

sunshine - i am finding
    - cotton velour (organic)
    - bamboo velour (organic)
    - i really like velveteen on my mama pads, but haven't seen that for sale anywhere
    nice and soft.
    the three listed are NATURAL fibres, absorbent type - NOT stay dry.
    i use them cos my bub reacts to synthetic inners.

another very nice SYNTHETIC inner fabric is micro chamois - nappies covered have some in stock right now.

Hope the moving room thing works for Isla Fee, but it must be sad to "let go" of your sewing room.

REQUEST:
    If anyone knows of a fabric co-op who is ordering DOUBLE SIDED BAMBOO TERRY, please let me know.

someone showed me a basic nappy pattern they bought in spotlight!! i didn't realise spotters HAD nappy patterns. it was KWIK*SEW 2062 - too wide for what we need, but great place to start if you've never seen a nappy pattern before.

Oh but Gigi - your not aloud to reuse patterns bought at SL as such to make nappies for resale are you?

Will keep my ear to the ground on the terry babe

Thats right Maz you are not supposed to use one of those brand name pattersn commercially...they can and do sue people who do that.

You could however as GIGI suggests use it as astarting point and modify it to your own specifications and then it would be okay...I think the point of law used to be x number of point of difference and it becomes a new pattern altogether.
    Good luck with it all ......
    methinks I need to start making some...cant decide what colours

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast