Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloth Nappy Making #5

Maz that is bamboo velour from greenbeanz that we got.
    jgal the velour that I've used from BFS does go a bit stiff after a while I have found. Also it has developed a bald patch

My SL never got cotton velour (or the staff I asked over the course of a few weeks after FJ got hers were totally clueless). I have some coming that I ordered through bubblebubs that has been on the way for weeks now. I think the ship is still coming as it was a preorder!

FJ my new sewing machine has a sack of feet too. I'm quite smitten with the 1/4 inch one. Makes top stitching a dream Check out if you have one of those ones too.

Sarah the way to tell if the bamboo has been washed is to rub it between your fingers and if you feel there is a feeling on your fingers of a residue then it hasn't been. After handling so much of it doing two co-ops I find it easier to tell that way. I still have some unwashed too.
    If you're still not sure then the pile on the fleece will be a tad fluffier and the fibres can look a little clumped together in spots. Best to wash it again to be on the safe side because if it shrinks after you sew it will look out of shape and the size will be wrong. I'm sure the manufacturers said allow 1-2cm per metre for shrinkage so it could be an issue.

All this sewing talk has got me rearing to finish off the stuff I have got cut out but I have a busy weekend coming up with a housefull of visitors (hmmm don't go there...if they weren't such nice people I would have told DH to stick it!). Too much to do unfortunately.

Last edited by ~Raven~; October 30th, 2008 at 04:43 AM.

Im gonna get a clear foot now for my sewing machine...i never realised one existed.

gigi - did you wnat a cut of bamboo velour hone? IM more then happy to send you some as i owe you big time anyway for sedningyou the wrong SB

have a very unhappy little guy atm. tooth number 2 looks like its cut but he's a big mama's boy so BBL

I thought I had a clear foot for this piece of junk machine, I suppose I do but it is a funny looking foot. The new machine has one though That means when this bubs name is decided on, I can make another appliqued name blanket for him like Noah's except it might look nicer

I checked out Nappycino, long enough to find me some cheap cotton pul so I grabbed a big chunk It was red with motorbikes, Noah will love it. Now I just need some black suedecloth, elastic , some H&L and my QC and I will be laughing. I might get that spotlight pattern after all incase my drafting skills are useless, I would hate to waste all that fabric just because I cut it in the wrong spot.

Raven, Yep the bamboo fleece is in a washed condition, It feels so soft! I might give it a second wash before I use it to make sure of the shrinkage though.

Jgal, nice DH!!! At least he knows the value of getting something good from the start instead of constantly needing to upgrade which costs more in the end. I will have to check out your blog now. The Austin cushion rings a bell though so I think I have already seen it in which case you are extremly talented.

Oh wow Fiona, you really don't have much longer!!! It seems time is slipping away so fast these days.

Maz, I am hearing you on a clingy mums boy, mine has just decided to cry because ABC kids is over and now wants my cuddles.

Well time to tackle the housework, after all that sewing my carpet has thread all through it, looks like a job for Kirby!!

Quote Originally Posted by jgal View Post
    Any more interest in the fabric swap???

oh now wouldnt that be noice....what material are we talking about and how much

top idea

Sarah - Id get the pattern and work from that ...WTG on getting sutff done.

Ive gotta cut into some reindeer fleece today oh and some minkee...I so have the itch to sew its not funny. You girls are a bad influence

For the fabric swap I was thinking 3-4 nappy cuts of a selection of minkee, plain PUL, printed PUL, velour, microfeece, cotton knit jersey, quilters cotton (for those that like woven cotton outers). Each person involved would list

1) their preference for fabric type(s)
    2) their preference for colours
    3) what they would prefer NOT to receive (as they may have more than enough of a certain fabric or colour in their stash)
    4) Whether it's for a boy/girl or prefer unisex stuff

You would send 3-4 DIFFERENT fabrics as the idea is to be able to make 3-4 different nappies since many of us buy fabric by the metre (or half metre) which means that without swapping we'd have a few nappies the same, or extra leftovers in our stash. The swap is designed to help us all have exciting new fabrics to sew with for each nappy. As a group we would select a date to send it out by so that everyone knows when to expect it to arrive.

How does that sound?

Hmm sounds good...I dont have any PUL though..ive got quilters, flannel, minkee, fleece oh wait ive got some plain PUL here.......

We'd have to make it big nappy cuts to...say 50 x 50cm

That's okay Maz - I think everyone should list a few fabric preferences so that it's a bit easier. Even if you have to send two of the same fabric type you could make them different prints. Also if those who want to participate have something that they have a lot of (or none of) let me know by PM and I will try to match people up based on preferences.

I total envy the fact you guys have stashes to do this with How is everyone doing with the sewing motivation?

I got some Malden Mills Powder Dry in black 80x160 for $8 I hope that is a bargain Is that what you would class as a stay-dry fabric? I tried doing a google search on the powder dry and didn't come up with anything so was unable to find out for myself. I assume it is the fabric that goes next to the bum though.

I just had a bird fly into my window and flop around for about 2 minutes, I thought it broke it's neck, it is calm now but just standing and not moving much, I hope it is okay. I don't deal well with hurt animals or people for that matter. I started crying and Noah was looking at me like whats the matter?? Good thing my dog isn't here or it would become breakfast

Where do you buy a cheap "snap" machine? is that what it's called?? the machine that makes the snaps for the MCNs you know what i mean.... any websites i can look at? TIA

Also, to make a decent MCN look good, do you girls all have over lockers?? or can you get away with just a sewing machine??

Sarah - MM...hmmm its an outter fabric the is ment ot be water proofe....im not to much in the know with MM but im sure someone else could help

Ren honey - go to greenbeans but put nz on the end (IFYKWIM) they snap machines are smaller and cost aprox $85 including postage but dont come with any extra's otherwise you can get one from snaps australia were you get the whole lot, dies and snaps for $120

I am pretty sure the Powder Dry of MM is like microfleece. Im pretty sure GiGi would be upto speed witht hat though. She is the Fabrics Quenn I believe!

Ren, You can get away with just sewing machine. Turn & top stitch etc. just gives you a different style of MCN.

Snaps Australia is your other snap place to go, but I think Maz found greenbeans to be cheaper

Thanks Maz & Fiona... I'll check them out!

do i buy the size 20 snaps?

Yes hon...size 20..size 16 is more for clothing and are quiet little

ETA - Ive got the sewing bug BIG TIME!!!!

size 20, But I think its worth gettin gthe size 16 die set at the same time. I did & I use it for clothing.

thanks girls, you're so knowledgeable!! I'd be lost without these threads as to what to do....

I'm not a fan of the velcro MCN's so wanna try making one with snaps.
    The machine and bits and pieces is cheaper than i thought it would be.

Ren I got my snap press from greenbeans and am really happy with it! I've used the snaps australia type too and prefer the greenbeans one.

Talking of fabric stashes, I've been digging about and oh man have I got a serious fabric buying issue

I got my snap press back when they weren't available in Australia, so got it from the US and waited months for slow postage (due to the weight it would have cost the earth to get here faster). You girls are so lucky to get them here now. Definitely size 20 for nappies - I used 16's on all my small npockets last time (all 24!!!) and found that if he kicked his legs too much they popped open. So I got 18's for the rest - in the US where I bought my snap press they sold long prong 18's which have an 18 cap and a 20 working piece (stud/socket). Great to get through the thicknesses and not too bulky, but there isn't alot of difference between the 20's and 18's as I have some coloured snaps from snaps Australia in the 20 size and they still fit in my 18 cap die, but just get a little stuck and need to be tugged slightly to pull out after snapping. Not enough of a problem to buy a new cap die, unless I bought loads more 20 snaps.

omg Raven, i can so relate to having a fabric buying problem.. My hubby got home yesterday from Germany and didnt buy me a damn thing! So he gave me what money he had left after changing currencies and i got a SL visit with $95 He knew that would make me happy lol

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast