Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Flannyl flats

Question Making Flannyl flats

I really want to get flannyl nappies for when bubs is just newborn, as, i have heard that they are not as bulky as the terry.
    But, i cant find any. If i just buy a couple of meters of material, and cut it up, do i need to hem the edges still? Or, being that type of material, will it just not fray?
    And i suppose, is that way of thinking (not being as bulky) right? Will it be just as effective as using terry?

clare076 Guest

I used flannel nappies with Shelby until she was about 9 months old. Honestly you are changing them so frequently when they are little that they don't have time to leak, especially if you are b/feeding. Terry is definately too bulky on newborns and really stay that way until they are more mobile.

I priced up the cost of making my own, Spot light sell the material, and I would say you would definately be best to overlock the hems, with the amount of washing they would start to get very tatty. Saying that, I found target, and BIG W sold flannel nappies, (however you have to be quick) and they are slightly cheaper than making them surprisingly.

yeah - seen them once at Target at the Galleria - kicking myself now for not buying them! Have never seen them there since. But, also think the target galleria's baby section is abit crap. Have never seen them at Big W thou, again, have only looked at Mirrabooka. And, i dont have access to an overlocker, so, will keep on looking then.
    Thanks for your input!

Do you go to Midland much? With all 3 stores, i figure its prob worth the bit of extra drive for me.

I've seen flannels at all the majors... I bought a dozen and a half, but TBH I didn't use them much - I found them still very bulky. When I did use cloth (I mostly used sposies ) I ended up cutting terry flats in half and sewing a hem down the cut side. They were less bulky and I find terry more absorbent than flannels, even at half-thickness. I put a fluffy cover over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by clare076 View Post
    Honestly you are changing them so frequently when they are little that they don't have time to leak, especially if you are b/feeding.
    I agree - that's what I found with the half-size terrys.

i suppose, i could, in terms of absorbancy (and tell me if this is stupid) but if i use flannels for less bulk, could cut up a terry and use a booster?
    How often do you change the baby? Is it after every feed?

Do you mean use the terry as a booster? Sorry - didn't follow that so well... Probably if you use a full flanny flat you wouldn't need the terry. (But I still found the full square flanny flat bulky.)
    I use half-square terry flats folded into four as boosters or to stuff pocket nappies for Natalie now and I find them absorbent enough for her atm. (Though I wouldn't use terry o'night, only between feeds.)

I usually change after every feed.

clare076 Guest

I live out near Midland and tend to go there every Wednesday to do my shopping. I will keep an eye out for you this week if you like. I can always grab some for you if they have any and drop them in when I go see Michelle next. Next time I see you I will show you how to fold the flannel for a newborn, I found them very absorbant and didn't ever worry about boosters or anything, and didn't find them too bulky the way I folded them. I also have a friend with a 3 year old who still only wears flannel nappies (even at night, but he still wakes at least twice ) Once Shelby was old enough to sleep all night I started using terry then went to a disposable just at night, but up until then everytime she was fed I changed her.

I have just started buying pocket nappies to use at night instead of disposables, (smell better at 7 am after having it on for 12 hours)

Snacks - yep - that was what i ment! Congrats for figuring out my jumble of words

Clare - i figured you would shop at Midland lots - if you do see them, if you can grab some for me, would be great. I will see you at Alex's birthday i assume?

Mum2Bee
    I have lots of flanny flats. I bought one lot new at Target and then 2 BB girls sold me theirs. Do you have access to the wanted/for sale thread? You could post in there and ask if anyone wants to sell their stash.
    Much easier than making your own unless you have an overlocker.

Guess what!
    I went to Target at the Galleria and "Surprise Surpise" they actually had some, 4 packets left, one had been opened, so grabbed the last 3 packets. Packs of 12 for $36.
    Then, i went to Target in Joondalup, and they had Target brand ones in Packs of 6 for $13. So, i brought 7 packs.
    Now, i just need to go back to Target Galleria, and return the ones that i brought there!. I felt to scabby to do it at Joondalup.

So, now i have 42 Flannel (or fleecy, i hope thats the same) and 36 terry. Will that be enough? Or should i get some more?

Kar, i dont think my member status allows me to post in the sale thread, so will just keep my eye out.

mum2bee

42 ought to be plenty unless you are only planning to wash every 4th day or so! Now you just need to find the right fold. Have you found the nappy lady website yet?

clare076 Guest

Yep I should imagine 42 flannel would be enough! I think I have about 20 flannel, 20 terry. Make sure you now start stocking up on plastic pilchers (get a few packets and start stocking up on different sizes) they can be quite hard to find sometimes too. I suggest the ones from Big W, they seem to be a softer plastic. Are you planning on using nappy pins or snappies? I found I had to shop around to get the best pin too!

i think snappies - they seem easier.
    are the pilchers from big w, the same as the ones at woolies?

clare076 Guest

They are the same style, but a different brand. I just found the woolies ones were quite a hard plastic, but the Big W ones are alot softer/pliable plastic. Are you planning on using normal (huggies etc) baby wipes or are you going the whole hog and doing the flannel reusable wipes as well?

wipes - was just planning on having store brought ones for the nappy bag, but using flannels at home. Have heaps of them.

I would suggest you get about three decent PUL covers rather than plastic pilchers. PUL is water resistant, breathable and will last a few years (plus you can get some gorgeous colors and prints), opposed to plastic pilchers that crack, heat up and are more of a hassle to put on. Plus it kind of negates using cloth when you're still throwing away plastic on a regular basis IYKWIM? Hope I don't offend anyone here...not meaning to.
    If you have a good fitting cover you wont need snappis - I used flanny flats with just a cover on Caty for her first few months and her nappy never came undone. Used the bat-butterfly-chinese fold under a BBH PUL cover.
    HTH.

clare076 Guest

No offence taken, but the plastic pilchers from Big W are $1.89 for 3. If you hand rinse them and hang them to dry after use, they do last quite a while. I know that if they are put through the wash or dryer they do crack (but the cleaning instructions specify hand wash) You don't have to soak them, just rinse and hang them out. You can also afford to have enough so they can be changed at every nappy change, unlike the PUL where you may have to use the same cover a couple of times. PUL covers are nearly $20 each, that is an awful lot of plastic pilchers you can buy.
    I do agree though that the PUL covers are nicer looking, but unless bubs is walking around without pants on I just don't see the point in nice colours and pretty prints. KWIM.

"Plus it kind of negates using cloth when you're still throwing away plastic on a regular basis IYKWIM? "

You really don't throw them away that often. I think I may have thrown away only half a dozen pairs in 16 months with Shelby. I personally didn't go for the modern covers because $20 a pop was just to much money.

I do have to say though, I swear at my nappy pins every single time I use them. Most of them are blunt when you buy them or I put them through my finger.

i have to say - i was sooo tempted to go MCN as well - but the expense at using MCN as opposed to flats - i just couldnt do it. I have a few MCN - all in ones ( i think 6), for baby sitters (ie - my SIL's ) to make it easier on them if they want.

Economically - flats and pilchers are the way to go for me, and that is probably my biggest motivation when it came to the decision to go cloth over disposables. I have seen a few covers that i might be tempted to get and use in summer time for the odd occasion, but, not on a regular basis.

There are heaps of different methods, and theories - and time will only tell if mine is the right one for me! OMG less then 60 days now.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast