Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Making Flannyl flats

hey there... im using mostly terry, MCN for overnight and big outings... bought a packet of what my mum calls "swans down" nappies from target... is this the same as you ladies are calling flannel flats?? if so how do u use snappis on them? ive tried and they wont go thru the fabric... any ideas would help as im busting to dye them and use them as they dry faster than terry and are o so soft

Edensmumma - not sure what 'swans down' nappies are - not heard of it before. But, what we are referring to as flats are the normal terry or fleecy flat nappies - about 60cm square.
    Cant answer your question on snappies thou, havent got that far myself.

clare076 Guest

Edensmumma I am also not sure what "swans down" nappies are? Are they just a different fabric, but still square pieces of material?

Mum2bee, we used to buy a pack of disposables when they were on special for baby sitters, but ended up getting some MCN too. (we also don't have rubbish collection so disposables are not an option for us)

Also (after 16 months of washing cloth) I have discovered that homebrand powdered laundry bleach (coles have it in beechboro) is exactly the same as nappy san! Only it costs about $2 for a box as opposed to $6 for nappy san. I also found that homebrand nappy liners are just as effective as johnson and johnson ones, again $2.50 as opposed to $7.00!!! I also wash the liners if shelby has only wee'd on them (cheap skate I know)
    Don't be afraid to go the cheaper option, most often they are just as good as the expensive stuff.

I've used flat flannel nappies for all 3 of my children and they are just starting to wear out. I am now boosting them with cut up (and overlocked) terry fabric rectangles. Regarding liners: I found the disposable ones to be too flimsy and annoying to use. Best bet (and most economical) are nylon triangles that almost cover the whole inside part of the nappy. Mine have lasted 3 babies and have been excellent; no moving around inside the nappy as it's being worn and less sticking to the baby's bottom when it's dirty. I don't know where my mother bought them from though (she bought them for me)... and they were bought about 10 years ago but I'm sure you could make your own.

Thanks heaps girls. Its very re-assuring to know that others are doing (and successfully) what you are planning on doing yourself.
    Clare - dont worry - i will be abit of a cheap skate myself i think - have already got 2 boxs of liners ready to go. Just from woolies. Will check out the Coles homebrand ones as well. Will get some of the Laundry bleach as well - when i actually have a laundry back to put stuff into - oh the joys of renovations! Only a couple of weeks to go!

hey i forgot to say that you can see a piccy of one of my flannel nappies with reusable liner if you click on the link that says "website" above the ticker photo of my children in my signature. It's a direct link... no passwords/searching or opening albums etc. Click on the photo to see an enlargement.

bathsheba - how cute! (and NO, not the nappy!) Have never looked at your webpage before, and my heart just went - ooooooohhhh look at the little baby!!
    Bloody preg hormones!! Niall is so cute!
    But I get what you mean about the nylon bit now. The edges i assume are hemmed? The fold that you have used i think looks similar to the one that i was thinking of using (DH is excited, as he has the fold mastered!)
    I have seen in woolies re-usable liners - although, i cant remember what they are made of, i think maybe cotton? They are a solid white material, which is why i am thinking cotton, but, cant recall.

Aw thanks yeah, he's extra cute at the moment... because he's sleeping! hehe

Regarding the liner fabric: it's overlocked and it's very important that it's not absorbant. The whole concept of a liner is that it allows the moisture to flow through to the absorbant nappy. The liner is meant to protect baby's skin from being too wet so it must kinda repell moisture if you know what I mean. As a baby grows older and is on solids the liner also helps to deal with poos... they help you to carry it to the toilet without scraping it off the actual nappy etc. The type of liner you see in my piccy work really well at keeping baby's bottom a little more drier even when the nappy is wet. if it was made out of cotton the wetness would be able to remain next to the baby's skin and cause a rash... so avoid cotton Hope this helps. Oh and the type of fold in that nappy is what i call The NewBorn fold... but as Niall is still quite little we are still using this fold at 10 months. And I use pins.

Just wanting to put it out there that...............no bleach is needed for nappies....dare you to just wash them without any soaking (put them in a bucket with a lid until the wash) then watch the sun bleach out all the stains and smells. Amazing.

Bathsheba - thanks for advise on liners. Still, since i dont have an overlocker, still no point me making them my self, but, if i see reusuable ones out and about, i know what to look for.
    Chocolatecatty - does the same go for the middle of winter? That is part of the reason i have brought so many nappies, as i dont have a dryer, so, figure its prob best to have to many then no enough if we get stuck with a heap of wet days.

Bathsheba- yeh they are the ones i've got.... i think my mum calls them that caz she used to be a nurse?? so what do u use to do them up?? im so bad with pins, i use snappis on he terry's.

Gill... oooh that's a clue! My mum's a nurse too! maybe she nicked them from work instead of buying them! LOL They are so good... I've had them for 13 years and they are still as good as the day i first got them. What are they actually called? I think you made a typo I've never seen them in shops...

I use old fashioned nappy pins as well as snibs as a pilcher with a trainer pant over the lot. I had a snappi but it always fell off.

clare076 Guest

Chocolatecatty - I have been told that before about not needing to soak etc as the sun bleaches etc, but we found that because we only wash every 3 days (on rain water only so have to wait for a full load) the laundry STINKS even when they are left in a sealed bucket. I don't know why but I have also found that they have a slight acidic smell to them even after washing. Also, as far as winter goes, they definately still smell after being put through the dryer if they aren't soaked, currently having the same problem with my MCN.

i dont remember what the packet actually called them- dont think it did, but it was big softies brand? i think ill just have to be hardcore and use pins, i just get the poo's with them.

A trick with the pins is to rub the pointy end against your scalp before you push it through... a little old lady told me that and it works! Amazing. i think the idea is that it is slightly lubricated so it isn't so hard. Also buy good quality pins. Try a few different brands... i'm not sure what my favs are called but they are much better than most. Be guided by price... I think you get what you pay for in this instance. And ditch them when they get blunt or if they bend.
    Last edited by Bathsheba; May 2nd, 2007 at 03:35 PM.

clare076 Guest

Stay away from the nappy pins you get at coles! Every single one I have bought is blunt from the get go. I always rub the pin through my hair before I use it, such a habit that now when I put on a MCN I still go to lubricate the pin

Yes, I can confirm that Coles nappy pins are [email protected] I think the best ones I bought were from a local baby shop called Baby Bunting... but I think that's only in Victoria. They have pastel coloured safety covers IYKWIM. The primary coloured ones (red/yellow) have always been rubbish.... that might just be coincidence though LOL

Hi ladies , just read over the thread , I have bought the triangle liners from woolies for about $2 each ... the work a treat.. they are by the little wishes brand !!
    cheers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast