Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Premmie Mums #3

belmarks Guest

Tiff, Im really glad that both the kids are on the up now, poor little chooks, they are bloody fighters though aren't they! Yep, I think Noah Tregenza is a TOP name for an actor - he'll be famous in no time!

Carrie - how is Kyla with her feeds now? Any better? Im sorry I don't have any suggestions for you, I haven't had to go through the gastro thing thank goodness, but I know that when Coby was really sick with tonsilitis he wouldn't eat, I just had to persevere I just offered him comfort food like custard (which he loves) and he slowly got his appetite back.

Simone - Great news about Anneliese - how cute that the nurses came in to check on her, she's a heartbreaker! I reckon they definitely know how to pull at your heart strings don't they - little charmers!! Hope she keeps improving for you xxoo

Rae - Coby only has 6 teeth, two on the bottom and 4 on the top and has had them for a while - he keeps "teething" but no more have come through....She'll be walking in no time at all. We are ttc #2 also, haven't been trying trying, just seeing what happens. My cycle is so out of wack that I've been to see an acupuncturist and I think its helping so far, so we'll see. We could be pg together next time round??

Well I forgot to tell you all that Coby is officially walking, he's been taking many steps for ages now but as of last Tuesday, he's officially walking on his own, and he's off!! He is so funny to watch, looks like a mini frankenstein, walking with arms outstretched! He's a really hard boy to occupy and he gets frustrated and throws tantrums alot, so Im hoping that now he's mobile, he'll settle a bit more for me....

Hope everyone and their bubs are doing great xxoo

tiggy Guest

WOW Bel,
    Yay for Coby!!!! What a good boy walking! I bet you are so proud.
    I can't wait for my guys to do something other than flap!

Carrie, Sometimes after gastro, they become temporarily lactose intolerant. They want to drink but when they do they get terrible tummy cramps. Apparently (got it from the paed yesterday) the gastro strips away some of the healthy cells that lines the stomach, leraving their tummies irritable to lactose (which is apparently hard to digest).
    Ivy and Noah have been put on a soy based formula for now. Maybe, Kyla is going through something similar? HTH

Bel - wow at Coby walking...what a clever boy!! And all those teeth and so much hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah with any luck we'll be chatting in the preg threads really soon
    And Tiff Noah Tregenza is definately a great actors name!!!

tiggy Guest

LOL, Thanks, Rae! I'll let Dave know! When he's rich and famous and making block busters in Hollywood, you can all say, I knew that kid when he was just a baby hehe!!!!

hehe Tiff i will keep Noah's name in the back of my head in a few years to come when he is the new Brad Pitt!!
    arnt the husbands funny with what their boy will be! DH rekons Nixon is going to be Number 1 in the world snowboarder!!
    so keep Nixon Powell in the back of your mind too! BB will be remembered for all their famous babies lol!

How do u know when bub has gastro? silly Q i know they poo alot but are their any other symptoms? Nixon fell into a pattern of only pooing every 2-3 days. Yesterday was going on day 4 when he started. Usually does one disgustingly massive one then thats it. He had 7 big ones yesterday and another one already today!! i am wondering if he is just emptying 4 days worth out gradually or he could have the runs?? (4 of the 7 poos were very large like wouldnt have thought there would be anything left!)

Bel- Way to go Coby!! ive got 2 friends with 14month olds (full termers) and have yet to start walking so thats just fantastic on his behalf!

My DH is a shocker when it comes to what Ella will be... he's determined she'll be ab architect for some reason ???

Declan only just started walking on 1/7, and he was 16m... so thats great bel!! GO coby!!

nic-i dont know how to tell gastro in babies, i would say vomiting an diahorrea. If they get dehydrated, take him in (you can generally tell this by feel the soft spot on his head, if it is spongy, then they're dehydrated. Thats when i took Anneliese in. if you need to no anything about pnuemonia or bronchiolitis, i feel like an expert!!

tiggy Guest

Nic,
    It's watery poo, and it has this smell, different to normal,almost acidic and sometimes there is vomiting (more than reflux), low grade temp. Sometimes they refuse their feeds. As Simone said, so long as they are not dehydrated, it's ok, it a virus and will pass, it's just gross and hard work when they are sad all the time and you feel as though there is nothing you can do for them.
    My paed said six good wet nappies, fontanelle that feels normal, so not depressed, wet mouth and tongue are all good signs.
    Really dehydrated babies become lethargic and their hands and feet get cold, their eyes have a sunken appearance, often appear grey. HTH

Hi there

Bel- Wow, way to go Coby!!! I can't believe he's walking!
    Kyla has gotten better and is now having her bottles - but is still unsettled, waking up during the night and now wanting to have a feed during the night...which is a bit of a shock to my system after getting used to her sleeping. She's going well with her solids too.
    Tiff- Hope that Ivy and Noah are getting better. Thanks for the info re: lactose. I went to the Dr in Port Douglas who said as much - but I couldn't get the LF formula sachets there and didn't want to buy a whole can as I wasn't sure wether Kyla would actually drink it (she's very picky!!). Anyway - she is drinking now and back on solids which is good. We stopped the senokot while she was sick as she had diohhrea (sp?) anyway and I have tried to keep her off of it, but her poos are now firm and she has some pain trying to get them out - so think I'll try some fruit before resorting back to the senokot.
    I hope that not giving her a break from the lactose hasn't harmed her tum at all - she's now drinking as I said - so she should be ok shouldn't she???
    Nic - Hi there. Hope you and Nixon are good. I knew Kyla had gastro as she was throwing up heaps, large amounts and not like reflux as she was heaving. She then had diohrea too. Hmmm, not sure about Nixon's situation - as Tiff said - just keep an eye on his wet nappies etc and see a Dr if it continues.

Hi everyone else!!!

Thanks everyone for signs regarding gastro etc.
    Nixon is fine, but it good to know what to expect.
    he just seems to change his patterns as soon as he settles into one!
    to being with he'd have a dirty nappy every second change. then he decided to do one every 2-4 days. Now this week he has decided to do approx 2 per day (with the exception of 7 of monday!) His temps were normal and not vomitting any more than normal. all this week he has also decided to wake at 5am from his usual 6-7 or 8am routines.....
    Our friend the osteopath has been coming around once a week and working on Nixon, so far so good. he has had 3 adjustments. he still has better days then others but across the board i'd have to say he is a happier baby and spews less. The Zantec is probably helping too.

Carrie - How is everything going with Kyla's feeding now? any better now she's well and truely over the gastro?

Bel - That is AWESOME news about Coby.. What a star! I bet he almost runs around now?

iluvella - What do you think Ella will be if your DH thinks she made to design buildings? hehehe

Simone - How is your gorgeous little girl going? How are you & DH going?

Tiggy - Good to hear the 3 of you are in good spirits.. Did they both lose so much weight due to the sickness?

Nic - That is great news that the treatment is working for Nixon.. There is nothing worse than a chucky baby.. How has he been today? i hope he's cut down from those 7 poo's :eek: on Monday? I have my fingers crossed that he doesn't get full blown gastro..

Well Ronan's new measurements from this week are:

9 Weeks Corrected (4 1/2 months)
    Weight: 5.1kgs
    Length: 58cms
    Head: 39cms

He seems to be thriving REALLY well and keeps shocking medical professionals including his MCHN's.. He had 3 really bad days this week where he kept screaming whilst feeding him but i think it was due to wind (he's already on Zantac) so i got him wind drops and he's so much better.. For the past week he's been sleeping from 12.30am till 9.30am each night on 170mls so i feel great this week beause iv'e been getting sleep..

Hey Rac - Ronan is doing sooo good - and what a cute photo! So glad that your getting a bit better sleeps, it makes so much difference doesn't it?
    Kyla is feeding fine now but has been getting up around 3am wanting a bottle. Not sure if she is just now in the habit, having a growth spurt or making up for lost time when she has gastro.
    Otherwise we are all well here!

speaking of gastro, now i have got it myself. I've just finished expressing becuase i cant stay sitting down for as long as Nixon will take for his feed. So maybe he did have it and i caught it from him? But he has been his usual happy self and never had a temp or spewed any more.... so i just hope i dont give it to him.
    Now i can really sympathise with any baby that gets gastro, i felt so aweful all last night and have been getting up to the toilet all night, curled over with cramps its just miserable.... I missed out on going to dinner with some BB girls last night because of it so not too happy about that!
    dh was really good and pretty much had Nixon from 2pm onwards. he has him sleeping on his chest with him now while i get his feed ready.
    any tips for an adult to help the situation? I'm bf so limited with what i can and cant have anyway.....

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

hope you are feeling better soon Nickers - not sure what you can take but keep your fluids up.

Rac- Ronan is amazing - what a legend with his growth and development.

Tiff - hope Ivy & Noah are finally well & sleeping for you.

We are all well here big Ds did have diarrhoea the other day but we warned him not to touch the babies :eek: .

Hi Trish!!

Nic- Gastrolyte helps stopping you get dehydrated, immodium for the runs and panadol for any aches and pains. Hope you are feeling better soon - I feel for you.

I was told no imodium for breastfeeding mums, just lots of fluids followed by Golden Delicious apples and pears (easier to digest).

Maria nad I have had gastro as well and Maria has had an irritated bowel following it as well. we had been giving her Nurofen for the terrible teething but found out from the Paed that that was making her tummy even worse, thus I had to take her of all solids except for pureed apples and pears and rice cereal for 2 days untill her little tummy could settle down and stop spasming. We have just got back from the Inlaws in Tamworth where Maria was very grumpy most of the time due to the teething and today she let me feel her 2 new teeth, that makes 8. Not really crawling yet, but she loves to cruise the furniture.

Hope all the bubs and mums are well

Just wanted to pop in and say that i hope all mums and bubs are doing well...and for those of u with gastro - hope ur feeling better soon

Thanks girls i am much better now.... Boy Gastro is not a nice thing to have!
    Update on Nixon, had him weighed last night and he was 5350g! An increase of 440g in 2 weeks.
    His head only grew 0.3cm and no growth in length so i think he is finally starting to fill out out of skinny body!! He still has no bottom! Poor boy takes after dh in that department! we had mothers group int he evening and husbands came along and we massaged. When it came to massaging his bottom there is not much of one there! He didnt last too long on his tummy because he kepts doing big spews.

Went to the paed today, check up all is good. Uped Zantec to 1ml 3 times a day, hopefully this makes a difference becuase i feel he has gone down hill a but with the reflux. he Suggested starting him on solids a little earlier then 6 months because of the relux, but then taking back his prematurity ends up being 6 months again! (real age not corrected)
    Other then that Nixon has also decided he wants to wake up earlier and/or during the night. I'm a bit put out by it because he was sleeping really well from about 8weeks up until a week ago.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast