Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Premmie Mums #7

tiggy Guest

Nic,

I'd love to do something too.
    We are about 3/4 hour to an hour away from the Central Coast.
    I guess we'll quietly celebrate. I don't think there is much going on up our way. Even with a NICU as big as the JHH, they don't have any prem groups or parent support post NICU. When I asked the research nurse, she said there was no interest!

We have had two very sick babies here. I think we are on the tail end of it now (fingers crossed - the last time I said that to anyone it got alot worse). Noah is in a big bed tonight for the first time but the no sleep wonder girl remains tightly bound in her cot.
    We've been without power or water for the last three days because of all the storms. We've had trees down and we no longer have a shed and half of our garage is buckled in too.
    Other than that we have not done alot.
    Ivy has alot of new words and Noah says Nigh - t Nigh - t instead of Nighnigh just because, since his tongue tie ligation - he can!

OMG Tif... no power or water for 3 days....how are you coping eith all the kids???... Your washing pile must be huge hehehe....

Glas you are all safe though..

Hope the kids get better quickly

Hi girls,
    Happy Premmie Day!
    Oh pooh on "no interest" from JHH NICU mums! It's just too much trouble and/or money for them to set something up. Personally I would like an evaluation form so I could give feedback. And I would CERTAINLY have taken advantage of parent support. Why else do mums turn up on this forum??
    Trees are down on our street, but luckily nothing by our house. There are a number of smashed cars, and yes Newcastle council HAS been booking people for parking.....even if the car obviously had to be abandoned. Grrr.
    We lost power for over 24 hours and water came up to the floorboards, but not actually in the house!! Next door's back yard is very low lying and had about 2m of water in it. They have been pumping it out for the past 3 days. Unfortunately, our hot water heater is on that side of the house and was completely underwater. It's (mostly) out now but there is still standing water, so I don't think we'll have hot water for a week. We're on a priority list for the plumber because of having a baby in the house, but the water does have to be gone. It's very smelly now. Thank goodness it's not summer--I think we'd have to leave the house.
    Oh I found out that since we have a front loader, the washing machine will work on cold water intake only. It will heat its own water. So, one good thing! No dishwasher though. have to heat water for that on the stove. And, most important of all, NO SHOWER for the mum of the house. DH can take one at work.
    Gemma continues to delight. She is 10 months old now, crawling everywhere and pulling up. She loves to play kneeling, or reclining on her left side--she rarely sits. I've never had a kneeling baby before! It's so sweet.
    She says absolutely nothing. She does make some sounds, but no attempt at words. My first 2 talked very early, my 3rd one is still "emerging" at 2.5, so I am interested to see which pattern she'll follow.
    Love to hear everyone's news.

Just a quick note..

Lexi had her 15 month check up today...

She now weighs 8.3kg (18lb 5oz) & is 72 cm tall...

My wee girl is not that wee anymore........

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

Nic - they are doing something in Penrith today for National premmie day - well tonight at Krispy Kremes with Niccups which is Nepean's NICU support group.

Happy Premmie Day to all the sensational Premmie Graduates - you all are such clever cherubs.

National premmie day.. how awesome ... we dont have that over here

Hi Trish,

yes i heard about out at penrith at krispy Kremes, i was planning on going but my SIL is in hosp in labour atm and waiting for bub to arrive! I have to work tomorrow and drop Nixon off at my mums this arvo, Penrith is far out for me but not too far from my mums so if SIL has bub soon i may make it otherwise dont think i can get there.
    Happy National prem day to all the miracle bubs in here anyway!

Happy National Premmie Day to you all!!

Well we had a celebration this morning in VIC East for L'il Aussie Prems and it was great! We had about 35 people turn up and 2 newspaper photographers so that was exciting.. There are many events around today so if you can make it to any be sure you do..

tiggy Guest

Hey Racs!!!!!!

Good to see you here!
    How is your little man going?

Hey Tiff!!!!!!!!!!

It has certainly been a while..

Ronan is going REALLY well.. He is now 15mths old (12mths corrected) and is still a happy and ever so placid little man.. He has just started crawling and is pulling himself up into a standing position.. He is still having physio but otherwise going really well..

How is Ivy & Noah going? Last time i read they were just starting to walk, that is probably so long ago now..

Hello to everyone else! I hope your little cherubs are well?

tiggy Guest

Oh that is such good news! I always think about you and Ronan and wonder how things are for you. I remember reading your totsites blog and although your world must have been so overwhelming you always sounded so positive.

Ivy and Naoh are going well developmentally. LOL! They are running now and we are finally starting to get some words. They are 18 months old or 15 1/2 corrected so I am pretty pleased at their progress.
    They have a few health issues but such is life.

helena36 Guest

Hi everyone hope you enjoyed you Premmie Day. I spent it by myself with ava and will certainly endeavour to recruit some new mums next year. Hope you are all well on the other side with the floods etc...
    As you know from my last posts I was feeling rather down and it got even worse!
    A family member of mine sent me a rather degrading e-mail and I have vowed not to talk to them until I get a written apology.

let's just say he questioned things about my life and my mothering, accusing me of being paranoid about baby's health. Told me I should put her into daycare F/T as my life needed changing. in that i mean he thinks I sit on my backside all day! LOL.

The whole Email thing made me think that I needed to defer my studies for a year and really enjoy my children and family a bit more.

i ask you all... if your baby(and maybe they do)have BPD or compromised lung function would you just stick them in large daycares if you were not working? I am by no means saying that you shouldn't but for me it is not an option until she is a little stronger.
    This person also implied that i had used my parents up.

Well thats my vent.....all else is good....except...baby is having a hard time sleeping...i amm sooo tired

Helena

tiggy Guest

Helena,
    OMG! You sound as though you are really hurting. You poor thing. I wouldn't talk to that person either. Did he think he was helping??? Goodness me, it's hard enough, the journey of a prem baby, without added pressure.

If I could I would keep my babies at home for as long as possible. My babies have trouble with their lungs, and I don't feel ok leaving them in a childcare centre at this stage and they are 18 months old!
    You have to do what is right for you and Ava. You are a wonderful Mum because you have Avas best interests at heart.

Hi all,
    Hope all had a great Premmies Day!

Helena, I wouldn't talk to that family member either until you get an apology!You know what is right for you and your baby!!

My bubba got two little front teeth this week!!Very exciting.Started her on solids today as she is now 8mths ( 6mths corrected). She pulled the most cutest faces!Tried some of the baby rice myself- no wonder she was pulling faces!

Had my wonderful mum visit for the long weekend. She was a god sent cleaning the unit and spoiling bubba!I hope everyone had a great long weekend and thinking of you all who were affected by the floods and horrible storms!

Cheers
    Rach

Hi all- Just a quick post as it's getting late!
    HAPPY PREMMIE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's great to hear that all of the beautiful prem bubs here are doing so well!
    RAC- Oh, I wanted to go to that meet up, but I had mothers group. It would have been great to meet you!
    Helena- It sounds to me as if that family member has absolutly no idea about the reality of looking after a prem bub and the health issues that for some bubs may be small but to a prem bub can be life threatening. You know what you are doing, you know what is best for Ava, trust yourself. Some people don't understand at all. I had similar comments about being over protective - but I'd have rather been overpreotective than end up back in hospital - which I'm sure is how you feel. Chin up - you are a fantastic mum!
    Tiff- Hugs to you, Noah and Ivy!

Kyla is doing well, chatting heaps and walking a fair bit now too. I can't believe that it is not long til she'll be 2!
    We had our 1st bad accident today - Kyla found a razor in our bathroom and cut her finger on it. I had a heart attack! There was so much blood! And it wasn't easy to try patching up a little girl how didn't want her hand touched! Anyway, the bleeding stopped after what seemed like forever - so hopefully tomorrow it looks okay. My poor bubba!

helena36 Guest

Thanks girls, that family member is my eldest brother ....an x-airforce training instructor ignoramus control freak who by the way put his own kid on cows milk at 2 mnths old!!!
    What makes the situation worse, i find out... is that he sent it to my eldest sister first for her approval!!!!!! OMG! she told him to send it!!!! Her child spent 2 mnths in the NICU with serious bowel problems and it saddens me that she doesn't draw on that experience herself and be sympathetic. she was also present the day I gave birth. So guess who else is on my non-communication list.
    It's given me time to think of how they have treated me in the past and to be honest they've always treated me like i have no brains!!!
    I can't see any of them completing a double degree at Uni, coping with a prem and a husband who works away 10/14 days.
    on a lighter note Rach it is great that you have your mum there, we all need our mums no matter how old we get. Teeth!! the dreaded night wakenings aarhhhh
    Castle when did your baby start walking officially? Ava is now 12 mnths corr and refuses to walk with us and we KNOW she lets go of the furniture but then loses her nerve!
    Tiggy what lung problems do your babies suffer from?

Happy Premmie Day everyone! Great to see all the bubs in here doing so well Nicholas is great, I thank my lucky stars every day that he has done so well since birth. that he continues that way.

Carrie, great to see you! Poor Kyla, I hope her finger isn't too sore, and that it mends quickly. How are things with you? Look at your ticker, well done hun! Have you had your NT scan yet?

carrie- Oh no Kyla! i suppose these type things happen but even knowing that wouldnt prepare you for when it actually happens. i hope her finger is ok and mends quickly by itself
    Helena- ditto to what everyone else said. i can't beleive your sister approved the email after what she has been through herself, does not make sence at all. And this is YOUR child not his child so why should he have the right to stick his nose in how you look after your daughter. Ava was an extremley premmie baby and you have every right to protect her health how ever you want. Was he involved around the time she was born? did he go and visit at the hospital? I understand it must be extremley upsetting for you but your main priority is Ava and her health. My bro doesnt have much to do with Nixon these days because of my Biatch SIL who has banned him from going to any family functions/ events because she has the pettiest problem with my father dating back from Nov last yr. They are also my neices god parents and same deal never see her.
    My point i suppose is even though family is family and you expect them to support and comfort you, sometimes it doesnt work out like that but you need to just worry about you, your daughter & your husband over ridiculous and obsurd behaviour.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast