Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Searching for hope

You are amazing Nae, really amazing.

Heres to the protection of all orifices until further notice, enjoy the room service - bubby is!

Hi Nae,
    You and bubs are in my prayers. Which hospital are you in? I grew up in Gipps. and worked in Bairnsdale Hosp in 1990.
    Anyway, I look forward to following your journey. It is a scary time, and you sound very stong which your bubs is going to need. You will be a great mummy!!!

Hi Nae

Delighted all is ok so far wishing you lots and of luck your little princess stays put and grows a little more

I have a good feeling all is ok though

I just saw your post. I wanted to give you a MEGA HUGE and tell you that I am thinking of you and your bubba.

I am glad you sound positive, try staying that way. I know the wait in hospital is excrusiating and you can go down right bonkers, but it's for the best, for you and little lady.

Ps. Enjoy the pampering (breakfast in bed) while it last It will be a very faded memory about three months after your dd comes

Hi everyone,

been a little while since I have posted in here so time for an update. Now at 23 +1 days and have been here for two weeks. my next goal to reach is 28 weeks so will do the best i can to reach that

Had another u/s last thursday and the interpretation that came back said membrane has bulged further and was at 6cm but the cervix had slightly closed. I get so confused by what the radiologist says and what comes back through the drs I wish there was just one straight forward thing and thats it.

still not closer to a melbourne hospital but hoping that a bed will be available by next weekend when i hit 24 weeks. I guess while I am stable then its not as high priority but its all good still have my own room with lovely views

feeling a bit drugged up - each day i get 3 doses of keflex and flagil (sp??) 2 nephedipine tablets, 2 100gm progesterin pesseries, a daily injection of a blood thinner that starts with C and to top it all off have had one of two steriod injections (last one is tomorrow)
    can kiss my olympic dreams goodbye now i am using performance enhancing drugs

bub is still doing well and baking away nicely, keeping everything crossed especially my legs, doing my darndest to keep my spirits high and a positive frame of mind.

a friend wrote a great quote which i would like to share:

Christopher Reeves once said " Once you choose HOPE anything is possible" and really, who can argue with Superman

I am keeping everything crossed that the little one stays put mate. You sound in great spirit for what you are going through. You are an inspiration.
    Take care of yourself and your little bubba. xx

Thinking of you! And keep up that awesome attitude, you are an inspiration

Nae, just checking in to see how you're going Each day is a day closer to the next milestone and I'm keeping everything crossed for you and the impatient missy!
    No wonder you're feeling a bit drugged up on that regimen but it's working and that's brilliant! Give bubba a tummy rub for me for being a good girl and staying put
    Glad that you've got a room to yourself (and one that has views!) while you're waiting for the transfer to Monash and I'm thrilled to bits that you're stable. Thinking of you and full of admiration for your attitude and spirit!

Oooh how stressful to be stuck in the hospital with your legs crossed tight. I have my fingers crossed for you as well. A girl in one of my mom and baby classes has a beautiful healthy 4 year old daughter that was born between her 23rd and 24th week so even if baby does come early I'm sure she will be just fine. Still have my fingers crossed though that she stays put for a bit longer.

So glad you have made it this far, enjoy all the rest. Do they have cable TV LOL??? We have a girl at school who was born at 26 weeks and she is now 7 and fine.

Good luck Nae, I'll be thinking of you too

Hi Nae, thought I would see if there was more news, getting to Monash would be good but like you say while you are stable things are good. I guess a move could mess with that. at your olympic dreams up in smoke, with those performance enhancing drugs. You are doing a great job and getting closer and closer to getting your precious bundle here. You are amazing, I wish I had a fraction of your innner strength.

THinking of you Nae.

I spent 6w in Monash before Alex was born at 34w so I know first hand that they're awesome. You will be just fine.

Wishing you the bestest "stay put" vibes I can muster.

Nae, wishing you all the best. Hang on!

Red face

Dear Friends,

Firstly an apology, I would love to have had this out earlier but given the circumstances I simply have not been in the headspace to have done this any sooner.. and will not be on for a while to come...... BTW this will be long so grab a cuppa.

We have a baby girl.

Nikita Louise Staben was born Sunday 25th May at 11.24am via Caesar, a mere 577 grams in weight.

Her name means - Nikita (unconquerable) Louise (famous warrior) nice and strong.

Our little wombat decided I had hung on long enough and an internal inspection revealed an arm and foot were 'dangling out' of the area where the cervix should have still been.

We were whisked upstairs to the labour ward where we were told the only option safe enough for her arrival was via Emergency Caesarean Section. At that stage it was also said the only cutting option would be a 'Classic Cut' which is across the belly but zipper style internally, meaning I would never be able to give birth the normal way in the future. They also said that I would have to be completely knocked out rather than having a spinal block which would mean a longer recovery and I would not see her for sometime and that Chris would not be present for her birth.

So there I was scared out of my wits, my baby?s life in the hands of everyone else without my man beside me.

I go into theatre (not the type of show I was hoping to see) then the surgeons asked if I would like to be conscious for the birth so of course that was a big yes from me they also explain it is better for Bub. Chris was also invited into the procedure and stayed with me and kept telling me I was doing a good job and kept telling me how much he loved me.

They start prepping me for the surgery and do the spinal block which is the weirdest sensation I have ever had. They gave me more than what was necessary because they usually go by tummy size but due to the early arrival date they drug me up good and proper. It basically makes you go all pins and needles and you cannot move a muscle at all. I was like this pretty much from the boobs down. I could feel tugging and movement of their hands etc but the sensation was unlike anything I could explain.

There was a huge team of people in the room about 6 just for Bub, once they had me open they were talking me through various things like ?there?s a foot? There is her bottom? etc. Then they got her out and she made the faintest little cry (squeak) and I was told it was a girl, all I could do was cry. I could see where they were working on her but couldn?t see her. I remember talking to her telling her she was ok and calling her Niki and pumpkin. Chris went over and took some piccies. Of course I was very concerned about Niki but everyone seemed calm.

Before they took her away they tried to show her to me in her crib but I couldn?t see her. They also told me they were able to do both cuts across my belly so I could possibly have a normal birth in the future. I was so relieved.

Chris followed them out and went up to NICU while I sat in recovery, it was the longest time. They kept me down longer because I was sick a few times. Then I came back up to the ward and had to sit while the spinal block drugs wore off. They gave me a whole heap of other stuff so I was pretty out of it all day on the Sunday. I couldn?t wait to see my little girl but knew I was in no state to do that.

Because she is so early the first 3 weeks are the most dangerous but the first 3-4 days are the most critical. I barely slept Sunday night and Monday was feeling very agitated by the things they had in me, I was extremely tired and wanted nothing more than to see my daughter. One of the midwives who is just fabulous bore the brunt of my emotions a few times. She was so very nice about it all, she got me into the shower and was getting me ready to go up to NICU when I had a spell and nearly fainted. I was so peeved because I knew it would be longer again. A few hours later, we got me into a wheelchair and I saw Niki for the first time. I was completely over come by emotions and not prepared to see such a little baby. When I say little I mean she is a miniature, miniature baby but is perfectly formed.

I have been able to touch her and she responds well to me. She has a strong grip when she holds my finger and moves around a lot more than they would like her too. They have helped her breathing somewhat though she has been doing most of the work herself. Her only main problem so far has been jaundice and her electrolytes keep going up really high but they are keeping close watch over her. We are still in the honeymoon phase and there are so many things that can go wrong at anytime but know she is in the best place in the hands of a highly specialized Drs.

It?s hard as a mother to not be able to hold her or kiss her, but just having the ability to touch her is unbelievable. I never imagined that I could love someone one so much.

I will be discharged on Thursday but have no idea where I will be staying yet. I cannot drive for 6 weeks so I am hoping there will be a space in the emergency accom over the road by then as I don?t have anywhere else a short walk away.

Anyway, I need to get some mummy juice for my little one then head back up to her crib side.

Take care all

Nae, Chris and Nikita

Nae - just wanted to congratulate you on the birth of your little girl Nikita. you're going to have a long journey ahead of you both - but it sounds like Niki is already showing her fighting spirit!

may your journey to bringing your little girl home be as smooth as possible - good luck hun!

Nae,

congratulations on the arrival of little Nikita. I hope she continues to fight it out, and that you get to hold her properly really soon. Thanks for taking the time to share your story, you're doing an amazing job. Take care of yourself.

congrats nae i have tears for you and niki, im sure everything will be ok!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast