Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Simone's Baby girl is in hospital

OK racs you beat me hope ronan doesnt get rsv after all he's been thru...

Well he's had an RSV immunisation so if he does it he shouldn't get it as severe (here's hoping)..

i didnt even know there was an immunisation otherwise iwould've gotten it for her grrrr...

Anneliese is still in my prayers Simone - lets hope she keeps improving and is home and healthy soon

Im going crazy without her, i didnt see her at all monday, got a couple of hours with her tuesday, and hopefully going on tonight... but our car's playing up, so might not get to. Its frustrating, all the dr's keep saying that premmies are more susceptible to rsv, but noone told me i could immunise her, and prevent all of this heartache ive been thru :mad:
    But we're still waiting for the drs to do the rounds, and recommend to turn the oxygen off...

Sorry if I have missed it but what is RSV?

How frustrating for you! When Ronan was discharged from the hospital a baby that same day was diagnosed with RSV in the bay next to his but directly behind his bed, and another 3 contracted the virus so the next night we were called in to get him immunised because he was so close to the infected babies.. They said the shot was $1,500 per hit and because he was still a patient on a program called HITH he was made to have it..

I hope they take the oxygen off Simone..

Simone hope all is going well for Anneliese and the oxygen has come off her. O had never heard of RSV either until Tehya was in hospital last year with bronchialitis and pneaumonia. SHe was checked for RSV because at the time it was raging. I never knew that there was a vacine for it either, but Woah at the cost of it.

Racs, sounds like you guys were lucky getting it through the program

ETA, Fiona RSV is Respiratory Syncytial Virus
    Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) is the most common cause of bronchiolitis and pneumonia in young children under the age of 12 months. RSV infections are very common. About 50% of children first get the infection before they are 12 months old, and almost all children will have had an RSV infection by the time they are two years old.
    During their first RSV infection, between 25% and 40% of young children will develop bronchiolitis or pneumonia, but less than 2% will need to be admitted to hospital. Most of those who need admission will be under 6 months old. The children at greatest risk are babies who were born very prematurely, or those with other health problems.
    People can be re-infected with RSV several times during their life. It will usually cause moderate to severe cold-like symptoms. However, it can cause pneumonia at any age, especially among elderly people or others who are already unwell, such as people with heart, chest or immune system problems. Adults and older children with RSV can spread the infection to babies and young children
    Last edited by Trish; August 9th, 2006 at 10:21 PM.

Pietta Guest

Simone I only just found this thread- I hope you have good news soon. I will think of her and pray for her to come home soon *hugs*

Ahh, thanks for that Trish

Grrr at the cost... you think the gov would subsidise it, it would be cheaper than having all these babies in hospital for weeks on end...

They took the oxygen off Anneliese twice yesterday, her oxygen levels dropped down to 88%, the lowest she can go before they put it back on is about 90%. So they'll try again today. The tachycardia seems to have settled, her heart rate only goes up when she gets upset or has a coughing fit, and then it only goes up just over 200bpm, not 240+ like before... Day 9 today...

I totally agree and honestly if we had to pay for it he wouldn't have had it.. :mad:

Awww the main thing is is that she is plodding along and it's probably good that she's taking her time as frustrating as it is for you guys.. She is growing stronger everday and it sounds as though she's FINALLY going forward!

My thoughts and prayers are with you Simone. Hope you get some good news today.

i need some good news. its not raining, its pouring for us-i have the flu, and my asthma's been playing up, both the bys have the flu, and DH lost his job yesterday. Stupid casual crap-get to 3 months and they sack you so they have to pay sick leave or holidays. And my flight is paid for now, even though we cant really afford it... grrr..

Simon, I'm so sorry that this has happened. What sort of work does you DH do?

I GOT MY GOOD NEWS!!! She was taken off the oxygen, and is coping. No tachycardia this time!!! He feeds have been upped from 35mls every 2hrs to 50mls every 3 hours... If she's ok, she might be able to come home tomorrow night...

DH was working for OneSteel in Noble Park, on the Eastlink Project. We sacrificed so much for that firm-DH working longer hours when his boss screwed up an order, travelling so far tru traffic (and having to pay $55 a week for the citylink) and he asks for 1 week off, no pay (when they said he could if he wanted) then turned around and used it to sack him. DAMN JOHN HOWARD AND THE IR LAWS

Simone, it's wonderful that you could have your little girl back tomorrow night! Fingers crossed for you.
    Sucks about your DH's job though.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast