Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Girl's Room

Default Baby Girl's Room

We're planing on painting our little girl's room & decorating whilst Aaron is on holidays in January, but I need some inspiration....

I don't really want to paint in pink or purple so was thinking of a green colour (something like this one). There will be a white roller blind on the window & the skirtings etc will all be white. The furniture is a light timber colour.

I was thinking of faeries / butterflies as a theme. Maybe hanging some of them over the change table, not high enough to reach but pretty to look at IYKWIM. I was thinking you know the butterflies that are wire then have the coloured stocking sort of material on them? Then as well as that I was thinking of getting some pictures of faeries & butterflies & framing them. I don't really want to put anything on the walls (other than frames) or have patterned curtains etc so if she doesn't like it I can easily change it when she's bigger if that make sense.

Any other suggestions would be great

Oooh, I didn't realise you found out you were having a baby girl - congratulations!!

DD's room was painted in neutral pastel colours before she was born (didn't know what we were having) then after she arrived we added butterfly stick-ons to the walls and one of those big wire/stocking butterflies on her wall above her cot. We've since moved house so her walls are now purple and pink but she still has the same stick-ons and butterfly and she loves them (she's a bit older than Zander).

Oh that is sooo you A garden party fairie style! Sounds fantastic.

Have you thought of using 3m stuff and putting up some thin wood items (like fairies, elves, toadstools, butterflies etc) You could do a huge big cut out mural, stick it up with the 3m stickers and then take it down when she's no longer interested

At Baby Bunting or the likes you can buy 2 framed cross-stitched butterfly pictures for $50 and it also has matching butterfly linen for the cot etc..
    And congrats that you're having a princess

Laila's old room was green(diff green to what you want though) and we had big pink fairy wings up, the kind with the wire & pink stocking.. I love the green you have chose.

Both our girls rooms are a creamy colour.

They both have the same curtains (pink of course) with butterfly drapes behind them in this theme Kids Gossamer Wings along with the nappy stacker, laundry hamper and light.

I then have those stocking butterflies you mentioned, on the walls from Adairs plus a mobile from there too!

I also cute cute stocking butterflies from The Warehouse.

I love butterfly theme!! Good choice!!

I saw a little girl's room a while ago that had an effect I loved.
    Her Mum had used glitter spray on the wall. It could have been really tacky but because it was fairly subtle it was lovely.
    What about putting a pair of dress-up wings on the wall. When she's older she can wear them.

Maybe try trailing fake ivy around the room with butterflies, dragonflies and fairys hanging from them! Ive got the ivy just need to hang it in Izzy's room! I saw it in a fairy shop and it looked like a magical wonderland.

Fake ivy is a GREAT IDEA

I'm so jealous I can't do this kind of thing for my kids

Hi Sarah,

Your ideas sound similar but a bit more involved than what I've got going on in Bubble's room.

Something I've done in my nursery is put those exact butterflys you're talking about on the mossie net above the cot, they look great as you'd be able to see if the gallery was working lol.

You could also frame some of the same butterflys in a row of 3 or a group of 6 like those people that collect real butterflys do, would look great but without the killing of butterflys...

Saw some gorgeous fairy figurines when I was passing a chemist today & remembered that someone in my belly buddies group has a couple of fairies in some shadow boxes in her nursery so that's an idea too, & if for some reason when she's bigger she doesn't like fairies you just put something else in there.

That's all I can think of for now, I'm sure it will look great.

I'd probably go a bit lighter green than that, just because I wouldn't be into a dark room...green's grouse though, because no matter how un-pink you are, you'll get given pink and purple stuff, and that goes well with green!

Fairy lights instead of a lamp too? That could be cool - actually, IKEA have hanging lights, like leaves.

My best friend had a medieval themed room as a teenager, red velvet curtains and lots of red velvet, with fake ivy over the walls, wrought iron and fake spiderwebs! Looked grouse.

That colour green goes well for an enchanted garden kind of theme actually! Faeries, and dragonflies, and butterflies...ohhh a girl to dress in awesome vintage flower material...*drools*

And I'd put fairy lights within the leaves too how cool!

That room sounds awesome Nelle!

Just remembered - I painted a fairy painting for Iz too- its in my gallery, and Ive also done a butterfly and ladybug next to them - but havent taken a pic yet. Toadstools are definately needed for fairys to sit on - so maybe a mural with them included - or you could paint them onto your canvases... Oh just checked -maybe you could find pics of them instead to frame!! We also have fairy lights above her curtain and in the early days I used just those lights to change nappies and feed- its such a nice soft light- now we feed in the dark !!

Oooh ivy, great idea

I would have loved the medieval room, sounds awesome.

Hi Sarah,
    I have incorporated fairies and butterflies in both rooms that my girls sleep in. I'll go and take some photos now, and post them for you to have a look at (am going to have to tidy the room first lol.)

Ok now with the ivy idea, I'm think of having it up at ceiling height so little fingers can't touch... Do you think that would work?

I've started today, FINALLY!! I've got the undercoat done on the skirtings, window & door frames so two more coats today with the gloss & we'll be ready to do the walls tomorrow.

We decided on the Huggies newborn nappy box green as our colour!! Took the top flap off the box to get it colour matched at Bunnings LOL! So the painting should be finished by the end of the week & I can start with the furniture on the weekend. Once the furniture is in I'll do the decorating to make sure it all fits with how the furniture is set up.

I have some butterflies ready to go but that's about it. Still need to get my ivy & fairy lights (I've decided on LED ones so I don't have to worry about bulbs!) plus some faery things as I don't have any yet.

ETA: Just looking on ebay for fairy lights & had a thought.... Would it look better to have them in green seeing as I'm putting them with the ivy? Or go with white/clear?
    Last edited by {sarah}; January 30th, 2008 at 10:33 AM.

I think the white/clear would break up the green a little. Less of an overload sts.
    Sounds really good Sarah, good luck with it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast