Thread: change table - three tiered vs removable tray on chest

Default change table - three tiered vs removable tray on chest

Hi

does anyone have any comments on the functionality of a three-tiered change table versus a removable tray on a chest of draws?

we have a spare tall boy in the spare room already (good old ikea) so its not that we need the extra draw space, and I was thinking that when the child is older, they will prefer to have nice child friendly furniture in the room as opposed to a big chest of draws with heavy wooden doors....

on the other hand, once you no longer need the change table, the three tired change table is useless. plus, it is not as neat storing everything on an open shelf rather than in a draw...

any comments on what you found useful?

thanks

We have a separate change table with the open shelves. I like that I can just reach underneath and grab the next nappy without having to open drawers. Also we have a chest of drawers immediately adjacent to the change table where I keep a water container for wipes and her bottom cream so that is really handy having that extra space where she can't reach it (would be tricky having the water underneath the change area)

don't know if I'll be of much help to you pindle.
    We bought a Infa axcess change table from Big W when it was on special. It has wheels, and the bath underneath the change pad.
    I was looking at buying one of the trays, but for us, we decided the change table would be better for a couple of reasons,

Mainly because of the bath, and me having a c/s means I won't have to get down on the floor to the big bathtub. It has wheels, so if I get stuck by myself, I can wheel the change table out of the room to the sink to drain the water.

I like the idea of the shelves and being able to pull them out. I like the idea that when we do eventually set it up, I can store some clothes for bub, along with towels, face washers, wipes, nappies, creams etc in the change table shelves. Keeping everything in the one place will make it easier to find, especially if I'm not in the room and want DD to grab something for me.

I think the only problem I might have is actually getting bub out of the bath, and then putting the top down to dress him on. I have read that some people don't use the bath part of it much, as their bub grows out of it quickly, but by then I'll be fine to get down on the floor

Nic

I don't like the look of change tables, the expense or the fact that all your bits and bobs are on display. I don't know how practical they are once the baby is a bit older/wriggly and you have to (I imagine) have one hand on baby and reach down for wipes/nappies etc.

So I just got a $30 change mat and put it on the chest of drawers. Works well for us and I really like the fact that it's not another piece of furniture cluttering up the house. Now DD is a bit older she does try to get into the top drawer when I reach in there but I just give her a toy to play with instead and I think the wriggle factor is something that you have to contend with no matter which option you go for.

But you could always get a mat and if it doesn't work for you then 'upgrade' to the change table later. Just see how you go.

I know that not everyone will agree, but a three-tiered change table is one of the best things we bought. It is the right height, so no sore back from changing on a surface too high or too low, and it was so handy to have everything you might need on shelves below in easy reach. We also used to wheel it between the bedroom and bathroom for baths when the boys were babies. And for a while there, when we had two in nappies, it was helpful to move it from room to room as one would always, always have a dirty nappy while the other was asleep (and the last thing you want to do is change the nappy in the room where the other one is sleeping and have them woken up).

I LOVE my 3 tired change table!!! It has a drawer straight under the top shelf, so all my nappy creams and wipes go in there.

While Zavier was little I had blankets and sheets folded on the other shelves, and it looked so pretty and babyish. But now he's older, we keep some of the boys toys on it, and its now a toy cupboard too, and looks awesome!!

I bought it off ebay from a warehouse in Sydney.

Pindle
    We used a change mat ontop of a tall boy liek you menitoned.
    It wa great - we stuck some non-slipp matt on the bottom. And perfect for if we every stay away - can take it with us.
    Move it from room to room if we want to!

We have a removable change table top and I love it! I like that we could put it on piece of furniture we like and will keep though we did buy it specifically so we bought one at the right height. I also found our wooden top which has a seperate section along the left so we have all the wipes etc. there and the nappies hanging above in a nappy stacker and everything is close by. Most tray tops I saw had no section for the bits and pieces or had it at the head end which would be annoying to reach to IMO. Pic of it here: http://www.bellybelly.com.au/forums/...62&ppuser=1322

We have the chest of drawers with removeable top and it's awesome. The top has a whole section for wipes and heaps of other stuff. I't so much more stylish but also sturdier than the others - I think. It means we can just take the top off when we're done and still have lolvely chest of drawers. WE got our from Baby Bunting on special for about $350.

My DH recons the most useless thing they ever bought with his kids was a change table and a bath on wheels - his x bought 1 change table & never used it, then bought one with a bath - it too sat in the corner gathering dust.

With my nieces & nephews, my SIL had a change mat on a chest of drawers, nappies hanging up in a hangie thing (she used square cloth), or we used whatever was around - if there were no nappies in the nursery, then we'd change the kids either on the cupboard or the floor in the laundry where the clean nappies were. I got really good at controlling a baby on a bed while changing a nappy (I was 8 when the first was born & 14 when the last was born). With friends kids now, I change them wherever I am (like if I'm in their room, or lounge etc). With my MIL, when she was a foster mum with newborns, she never had a change table - she said it was a waste of time/money.

thanks
    i think we will end up with a three tiered.....

if you have a bath you dont use look at the little bear site, i brought one of these for my third just finished putting together it is great.

We had an infa change table with slide out bath. It was good in those early days & very convenient as the bath sat next to the change top once slided out. DD out grew the baby bath very quickly, she was a long baby, so it was only useful for a few months. For that reason we will be using a padded change mat ontop of a set of drawers this time round. Thanks girls for the suggestion of the non slip mat underneath, I've been looking everywhere for a change table top to sit ontop of the drawers but I think I will just buy a non slip mat & padded change mat now

sweetpea those little bear baths are great!!! If I was expecting my first baby I would prob get one but my DD is now 3 yrs old & enjoys the room she has in her "big bath" so it isn't an option for us this time.....

Another one who loves her three-tiered change table! Ours is lovely, it was made by a friend of DHs, and we just gave it a fresh coat of paint. A big bonus is that is has quite high sides, which is useful now that DS is very mobile

I love having all that storage space (though I do use cloth nappies, so I need it), I love that I can grab things quickly, without even looking, I love that it's a great height for me, so my back doesn't get sore. I know a few people who have gotten rid of their change tables by this age, but I honestly couldn't live without it. Changing DS on the floor kills me, and changing him on a bed is exhausting (chasing him all over it) and kills my back. So go the change table I say! I am aware however that not everyone likes them. I guess you won't know until you try

ren,

Just wondering if that is the melbourne baby furniture change table tray or a different brand.
    also wondering whether it is completely flat underneath so fits onto any depth chest of drawers or if there is some sort of timber bar to hold it in place (but which restricts the width of the table).
    thanks

I actually bought it second hand off ebay so don't know the brand sorry... I am in Melb though so it could be?
    It has a small rim around the bottom to fit onto a chest top but doesn't fit ours. I glued felt on the top end so it wont scratch the cabinet by sitting on it and we put the bottom end over the end so it doesn't slide around- does that make any sense??