Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cot vs Bassinet?

I used a cot with both the girls. I would love a cradle or even bassinette, but always thought there is no point coz they get too big too fast. I would like to try to get a cradle this time around though. Bri was born in winter & used a roll thing with her - she also had colic, so it kinda helped with that too. I used two bumpers around the cot to kinda warm it up a bit.

I can't use a bassinette, not allowed too. MIL lost a baby to SIDS in a bssinette when he got wedged down the side of the mattress. Sounds horrible I know, but she made me promise I would never use one. I've always used the pram or a bouncer to have them around the house with me.

~Belinda~ Guest

Oh how terrible about the SIDS, thats really sad....

It is really horrible. He would be about 18 or 19 now I think. It's still hard for MIL & DH. More so since our kids are her only grandkids so far. DH started out waking Jaz up just to make sure she was 'still alive' as he put it. It's at the back of every parents mind, but I think it's a bit different when its actually happened in the family. Makes you realise how sudden & unexpected it really is. He was only in bed for around 30 minutes during the day. Long enough for MIL to vacuum the floors. He was only 3 months old.

We used a cot from day 1, and ds was fine in it (although it did make him look very tiny!!) A bassinet might be handy as it is more portable, but I have had friends who have then had difficulties switching the baby from bassinet to cot. I would say that a bassinet is probably nice to have, but by no means necessary, and you are fine without one - we were!

Thanks for your feedback ladies - I have decided to get the bassinet for my pram instead. Then at least if I need to bubs can sleep in that at night.

Bjrose - I was so sorry to hear of your MILs loss. I completely understand why she would be against bassinets.

Thanks again, T.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12