Thread: nursery themes

Default nursery themes

wat theme has everyone done. everythign i look at i dont think it will look good in the room. all our rooms r very small and we have a big window that covers nearly one wall so all the theme curtains dont fit.

i started a sponge bob theme but all the stuff keeps falling down. i got the reuseable wall borders but they keep peeling off around the edges. i wanna make something cute but everthign i look at doing i think will turn out crap. lol maybe it is just me i should get someone else to decorate it for me lol.

Hi there
    I've just gone for an animal theme...
    I'm not sure if you've seen the Kidsline cot sets? We got the Malawi set and got the matching lamp, window valance and cot mobile, it really is lovely.
    I also got some re-usable stickers off of ebay, they're just pictures of different animals done in a cartoon type design of girrafes, tigers, elephants etc.
    Good luck with your decorating, it really is a hard decision to make!!

Hi Sassy,
    We've got an old house so have gone for a fairly traditional look with the theme of Beatrix Potter (who's books I loved when I was a little girll! Gone a creamy yellow with Boori English oak furniture and will put sheer curtains/cot cover in. Only problem has been that there is no license for BP merchandise in Australia so can be difficult to track down!
    Sara F.

I did a bear theme with stick-a-rounds will post a couple of pics in my gallery

Our nursery doesn't really have a theme but I also love Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit. Our furniture is white and pale blue and our house is an older style so it works. I know how hard it is to track down Peter Rabbit themed items but I have found a few. There is a boutique baby shop in Greensborough that sells Beatrix Potter wall friezes and large wall images. Recently I found a brand new Petter Rabbit doona cover at an Op Shop! For $6!!! I class that as my best find of all time! LOL I also track down the Beatrix Potter wall calander each year but last year it wasn't released in Australia so I had to buy one on Ebay but after the postage it was only a few dollars more than what I pay here anyhow... I hope they are here this year!

The thing I like about BP is that her things are gender neutral. Peter Rabbit has a lot of blue in his things but you can also buy more feminine items like Jemima Puddleduck if you have a girl.

Hi Bathsheaba,
    $6 for a BP quilt - that's awesome!! My MIL is making me one. Shop in Greensborough also sounds good - is that Happyco? As for the calendar I got the 2008 version via the internet at AllPosters (or something like that!) Cost around $30 including postage (they're an American company) Have also found some great soft toy suppliers (am getting Peter Rabbit, Jemima Puddle Duck, Jeremy Fisher and Benjamin Bunny!) and my sister is sending me my old (and probably very dusty!) BP books over from the UK.
    Sara.
    Last edited by {sarah}; October 25th, 2007 at 08:29 AM. Reason: removed link - please read the forum guidelines

We did a Rugrats theme for Zander's nursery, you know the cartoon? I had the same problem though with the wall border falling down. The stickers though ripped the paint off when we removed them In his new room we painted the walls all one colour & it has a Disney Cars theme. I did it in a way though that meant when he changes his favourite thing I can easily change his room. I have framed pictures that can just be pulled out & changed & posters that can be pulled down without a problem.

I plan on doing a similar thing in this bubba's room. Paint in a colour that can last for a long time, but do the theming so it can easily be changed.

i am going with a kids line set - savannah - we have ALL the stuff, liek wall hangings and lamp and all the cot stuff, my walls are a light minty green, and prolly goign a grey carpet, with all theboori range in english oak.

im a nut when it comes to everything matching so we just bought everythign so i cant change the room evry month !!

I didn't go for a theme as such, as I didn't want to be stuck with what to buy. Instead I have just kept a colour theme going.......it's all pretty much, blue, red, yellow, orange & green.

I have a Kite on the roof hanging just below the light....looks great, dims the light & Charlie loves looking at it. I made a rug stand out of an old white cot we found at the dump, as we were given some hand made quilts - they look great on this. I have Charlie's name in Big wooden letters in Red, Yellow & Blue on top of a big bookshelf that also has lots of different goodies in matching colours, such as an old style red lollie machine, book ends & so on. With this theme we've been able just to use plain coloured curtains & I can always find something to match.

Similar to Erin I've gone with colours instead of an actual theme, mainly matching stuff in the room to the curtains which have pink, black, red & some other colours in them. (...& I WANT that lollie machine!!)

I still have to paint some canvasas for the walls & get some colourfull pins or badges for the mosquito net so that it's not all white, oh & get a red & yellow 'rocking snail' that DP has seen.

I think going with matching colours really leaves my options open when it comes to buying new things, and my my, how I love to buy new things...

Oooooh I'm with QueenMab I love to buy new things too & yes it does keep your options open. I hinted to my brother that his nephew & godson would love an oldstyle push car or fire truck for Christmas...not sure he'll get it though LOL. If you ever need to know where to buy something online I'm definately the person to ask. As my DH would say, Charlie's nursery is "fully pimped" LOL.

I bought the lollie machine on ebay, wasn't too exp & in great cond....looks great on the shelf. I forgot to mention I painted my own canvas prints too, just basic stars & stripes that sort of thing.

Dan you could probably get a themed curtain made for you. I saw spongebob curtain fabric in spotlight recently and if you aren't a sewer or don't know anyone who is any of hte curtain shops would be able to get it made up for you.

I'm a bit off actually setting up the nursery but I have plans (and stuff)

Canary yellow walls with white windows and the curtain fabric (which I have already bought because I saw it and "needed" it as I didn't want to lament later that I couldn't find the perfect fabric) has a blue background with lots of brightly coloured hot air balloons on it. There is also an old school red metal fire engine pedal car in a box in the garage ceiling (but don't tell DP as he will want to get it out and put it together and "check that it works") again - it was something that I am glad I bought at the time because I haven't seen one as good ever again.

Simple white nursery furniture and a couple of floating shelves on one wall. We live in a 1920's house so ca go quite retro really easily.

I have several quilts that I want to make and have the patterns and fabric put neatly away for when I have some time. One of them is made from beautiful beatrix potter fabrics (yep another Peter Rabbit fan here) and another from brightly coloured fruit and vegetables and one has gollies on it but that will take more time because they are appliqued.

Erin - I am loving the lolly machine idea - I will have to keep my eye out. Also, I love that your nursery is fully pimped - there has to be a TV show in that I think LOL

TaffyLou....I'm soooo jelous I want a red metal fire engine for Charlie sooo bad. Just spoke to DH & asked if we can buy it for Charlie for Christmas LOL, have seen some nice ones on the baby express website. I also love the old style tin toys, we have a spinning top, fire engine & ferris wheel.