Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nursery- when did you start and what did you do?

Default Nursery- when did you start and what did you do?

Hi, I was just wondering when everyone started to get they're nursery ready?
    I've picked and laybyed my cot, change table, car seat and mattress.
    So far I've bought a bath and my pram, but my spare room is still a nightmare, I'm trying to move stuff out and I'm finding more stuffs in there than before, not to mention the rooms in need of a paint and I have no ideas on what theme or colour for my feature wall! My daughter has a hot pink feature wall and my son a deep blue feature wall, both are dulux suede effects paint and look great, but I'm stumped for colour it looks like another boy so I was thinking a limeish sort of green but I really have no idea where to start! I was wondering when you started your nursery/ babies room and what theme you chose?
    Thanks in advance,
    Confused and in need of inspiration,
    Snoopea

Last edited by Snoopea; May 30th, 2008 at 06:59 PM.

I'm not even pregnant and I've started!!!

- We are having chocolate (walnut) Boori furiture (crib, chest of drawers, cradle and toy box)
    - We have a big, plush mocha coloured recliner
    - If we have a girl the theme will be pink and chocolate and if we have a boy it will be blue, green and chocolate (original - I know)
    - We will be getting those wooden letters that will hang on the wall above the crib - spelling our baby's name

I don't want to go overboard on a theme - instead I want to have a room that will grow with my baby - I could easily go nuts on the pink for a girl and she may end up being a tomboy!

I think simple with a few bold statements is good. The most important thing is to create a warm haven for you and bubs.

I've gone for a baltic coloured crib (antique?) from babyco and matching change table, I've ordered the change pad in cream to match the existing wall colour also incase we have anymore, you never know!

I went for the fisher price aqurium bath, which is blue, my daughter picked it out and I figured the bath colour isn't going to matter too much!

My prams black and orange, so I'm going for a mix so far, but I don't know.
    Originally I had a chocolate cot on layby but changed it to baltic as my sister in law bought chocolate and I want a nursery completely different to hers!

I'm painful I know but with this being bub number 3 and probably my last I just want to get it right!
    Snoopea

I love the baltic colour! Very chic.

I'm all about matching and can be a bit anal when it comes to that! If I'm having pink then all the pinks will have the be the shame shade or compliment the main colour.

I have a Denim Bugaboo with the matching Moroccan OiOi Bag and I will probably get a Baba sling in navy to tie it all in. (See - anal) lol

I think it's great you are going to so much effort this time! Are you going to find out the sex?? I don't think I would be able to help myself - I would want to start decorating right away!!

I think the first place to start is the bedding set that you choose and go from there. You might find some inspiring colours from the bedding set to do your feature wall with!

Well I've got 4 to 5 weeks to goand we haven't really started on ours. We aren't painting as I don't believe in new carpet or paint in a new bubs room (paranoid about the chemicals). Our house is only a couple of years old though so we don't need to do either anyway.

We aren't going with a theme. We have a white cradle, white change table with drawers and the cot is still to be bought but I'm thinking we might stick with white so it matches what we have. We were given the change table.

At the moment everything is in our spare room in an absolute mess but I'm hoping that we get it sorted this weekend in case I go early. I do have his clothes washed and hung/stacked in the wardrobe so we've kind of made a start I guess.

We painted our spare room which became DD's room a cream colour and put a wallpaper border around the middle. I do have pics in my gallery I think. Our cot and changetable are baltic colours. We painted at about 5 months pregnant I think.
    on the aquarium bath. I have one and dont really like it. It is small and DD grew out of it quickly. I didnt like the hammock because she would get cold whilst being bathed but it is ok for a new born.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I have very little done either!! Spare room that will be a nursery is still so full of stuff that we need to move but we dont have storage space for!!!! And also DH has not been enthused to move stuff!!

We have all the big stuff on lay bye Boori sleight cot in walnut and a chest of drawers with change thing on top in walnut, phil and ted dash pram and safe and sound meridian nevada car seat.

Will have pooh bear as a theme (as I love it and have heaps myself so dh got no choice!!) But will not paint or re carpet as paint is in good condition and is a peach colour so will get those stick on things and see no point in new carpet as bubs will wee and poo and chuck and chances are will hit carpet a few times!!

Havent bought a bath yet.

Have clothes and blankets all over the place in bags still in packets waiting to be washed and put away for baby!!

We have a white cot and have moved DS,s wardrobe and chest of drwers into the nursery and are building DS a built in robe.

We have gone for a green feature wall, with the remaining walls painted yellow. The colours are quite bright and cheery, we can add frogs and ducks for now then when he gets older we can go with crocodilies etc or an Aussie theme.
    I love the room its just so fresh and relaxing, even with the bright colours.

amysarah85, so far looks like a boy but I've got a scan next thursday the 5th in which they'll confirm the sex as bub had legs shut and opened for only a few seconds sonographer thought she saw a willy between the legs so we're thinking boy at the present moment if we can't tell on thursday i'm having a 3d scan on the 5th of July so hopefully we'll know by then.

I'm going to be very anal this time, I wasn't with the first two as we didn't have the funds to be! I'm working full time from home with a daycare and my hubbies finally got a better job with better pay, which will help us out this time. Mind you he wasn't very impressed when the cot price jumped up $300 so that it was different to his sisters, mind you it's alot better quality cot too. I went to babyco this time, my last cot was a hand-me-down in excellent condition but we wern't expecting kids so soon(another story). Last time our pram was a bertini and we purchused a safe n sound royale retractor both new from myer. This time I've gone the safe n sound royale car seat again but not the retractor as ours played up last time.

Our house is only 3 years old built from new and the carpet is in new condition so I don't need to worry about that, but the paint. Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh it's builders paint and if you try to clean off a mark the paint washes off too, so I've given up..... I can just imagine the room after my two monkeys get in there with bubs it'll be black marks are us and I won't be able to clean it off! I'm a clean freak although I seem to be letting things go a bit more lately.

So so far I've got:
    Pram: Bemma Q by swallow with bassinet insert..... 3 wheeler going to give it a try if I crack a nut I've still got my 4wd 4wheel bertini.
    Carseat: Safe n sound royale
    Cot: antique(Baltic) Gembrook by regent solid pine from babyco and is closed in one end open other.
    Cot Mattress: Innerspring made by childcare (dunlop branded from baby target)
    Changetable: matches the gembrook cot assume it's a gembrook change table made by regent with a cream change mat.
    Bath: Fisher and price Aquarium bath blue in colour comes with some sort of mat and toys, not to sure about it but my daughter fell in love with it and I figure baby baths aren't to expensive to replace if it's not very good. Last time I had a all in one change table and bath where top lifted up, but thought I'd try a seperate bath this time.
    Nappy wrapper: Tommee Tippee (never had one thought I'd try one)
    (I'm going Avent for steriliser and bottles/brest pump as I had them last time)

Anyway that's where I'm at so far, I've got most of the big stuff covered, but when it comes to the theme I'm just stumped I don't want to go wild animals as that's what my girlfriend just did with a pale blue feature wall, my son's got disney cars theme and my daughters got a pink feature wall with lady bugs on it(her nickname is bettle) and disney princess quilt covers/ mink blanket. My sister in law has gone chocolate furniture and has cream walls but no theme so far.

Feed, looks like you've got a job ahead of you, I can remember washing the clothes for my other two and putting them all way, so far I've bought one jumpsuit bonds brand and left it at that, waiting for confirmation of sex before I go clothes crazy!

Jenjams, I'll have a look in gallery tomorrow!(Thanks)

Thanks for your input so far as i said i'm in need of inspiration, hubby is demanding attention, so I better be off!

Snoopea

Kelly, I have no idea when or what be bought, but our nursery was mint green with an argyle patterned feature wall. I measured out huge diamonds on the wall and they were a jacaranda colour and then I hot glue gunned ribbon in a musk shade to the wall for the thin crosses. It looked excellent!! (cos you are allowed to go a bit silly in a baby's room). We had mainly white furniture and DH painted a tallboy the same coulour as the diamonds (little does he know he's about to update it's colour lol)

We didn't go for a theme in our DD's room as we didn't knwo she was going to be a girl but I also didn't want to "make up our child's mind for them". I figured when they are odler they can choose colours and themes. Anyway we painted the room a beautiful green and all the furniture is a dark wood. A few simple wall hangings and I made her name in pink.

With your colours (which sound awesome!) I would stick to simple things like teddies - nothing too over the top.

Hi,

We still have 15 weeks to go but our nursery is just about done. We have the Mali Euro cot in Cherry...love it. We live in a defence house so can't paint so we bought some amazing under the sea themed prints on canvas' from an artist called ROOCCI (google to find her website) at the baby expo a few weeks ago. We are having a girl so choose pinky purple green artwork and the cot is made up with a mint and pink theme.

Well if anyone's feeling a bit behind the eight ball on nursery preparation, I'm here to make you feel better!

My DD is nine months old and still doesn't have a nursery. The wall in what will be her room developed really bad cracking while I was pregnant and we've had a multitude of different people (plasterers, engineers and builders) look at it. Anyhow, needs to be knocked down and rebuilt and we'll have to move out for a couple of months.

So ... in the meantime, DD is in our room which actually I prefer anyway while she's little.

But when it is finally done, she'll have a chocolate brown carpet and pale green walls and a bit of a Japanese doll theme going on. I found some fabric on eBay so have covered a lampshade with that and also got some Japanese origami paper which I'll use either as a feature on the end of her bed or cover a little stool with or to cover those letter things. I've also got a tree decal that you stick to the wall and I want to put in small photos of all her rellies so it's a family tree.

Cot is a Mali Euro in white (got it for $250 from Grays Online so major discount which I'm still patting myself on the back about), chest of drawers is from IKEA, didn't worry about a change table - just got a change pad for the top of the drawers and I also got a white single IKEA bed. Was tempted to buy a kiddie wardrobe but I don't think I'll bother. We may end up getting built-in robes in that room but I want some specially made with an upholstered fabric middle so need to choose some fabric for that. I'm a mad keen Florence Broadhurst fan but she doesn't have that much stuff for a kiddies room though there is a butterfly design that could be the go.

I have gone through stages where I'm really peed off that I haven't been able to start let alone finish her room but on the upside, when I do it, it will be for her IYKWIM.

We started ours last weekend, had both families down and we cleaned out the second bedrom, which was being used a s storage, we packed up everything as we will be moving from this house in about 7 months time.

We now just have a wardrobe, and set of drawers, and we still have a queen sized be set up as well, as we don't have anywhere else to put it!

We have bought or ordered the following:

Pram: Bugaboo Cameleon, red topper charcoal base, with a breezy, footmuff, uv shade and cup holder, ordered it in February, still hasn't arrived, apparently the middle of this month, but who knows! We plan to use the bassinet of the pram as bubs bed while bubs is small
    Nappy Bag: Ooi Ooi Red Messenger
    Car Seat: Safe and Sound Meridian, a friend has the Platinum and said to get the Meridian as it is the same except for things like speakers - which they have never used!!
    Cot, Tall Boy, with Change Box addition : We hope to order the Mali Euro - I think in Cherry, just trying to find the best price, fionas - you got a ripper bargain!!! Also going to get a good innerspring mattress
    Nappies, Nappies, Nappies: We picked up a couple of boxes of H Newborns, when they were out for $29, but we are planning to be mostly using MCN's got 10 Pea Pods, and going to order another 10, got them plus two Night Boosters from the Baby Expo for $160. Also have some "Real Nappies" also got a started pack from the Baby Expo, so think we are set, oh and we have the Tommee Tippee Nappy Wrapper as well.
    Wraps: Plenty of muslin wraps, patterned and plain, a few flannelette ones
    Clothes: We have one 0000, but mostly 000 and some 00 plus a few bigger things we have picked up on special. Today I washed the 0000 and most of the 000, plus the Pea Pods
    No Bath: We arre going to see how we go using the laundry tub!
    Play Mat: Fisher Price Rain Forest Mat for tummy time
    Rocker: Getting one from my Cousin

Family is busy making clothes, cots sheets, gro bags, large playmats, wool blankets, Cot Quilt, and probably more I don't know about!!

We aren't painting, but at the moment we don't have carpet in there, but I think we will get it done... depends on $$

OMG eej - that artwork is gorgeous, I have just looked at the website, I will be getting some at some stage, if not for the nursery, but maybe the playroom (actually a bedroom for when we have more kids!!) in the new house! The colours are just amazing - Exactly what I love!! Might have to add it to my "wish list" on my blog!!

I didn't think that I needed to have to room cleaned out, but now that it has been done I found that I need it!!

Good Luck Snoopea, it is a great time!

Thought I would share the items that we will be buying too (thanks for the idea Victoria). I find it interesting to see what people prefer as it has helped me choose as well! Even though I'm not UTD yet - my reasoning is "If you build it, they will come".

Pram: Bugaboo Cameleon in Denim, cup holder and alternate covers (Off White and Red)
    Nappy Bag: Oi Oi Morroccan Print in Midnight
    Car Seat: Safe and Sound Meridian in Oxford
    Furniture (Cot, Change Table, Toy Box, Cradle): Boori in Walnut (very dark Chocolate Brown)
    Recliner: Carnaby Recliner in Raisen
    Clothes: At the moment we have an equal amount of 0000 and 000 but from now on we will only buy 000. My feeling is that we will have quite small babies though (I was 5lb6oz at 38wks and DH was 6lb1oz at 39wks)! Plus my Mum is a mad shopper so there is no point in me buying too much stuff!
    Play Mat: Fisher Price Rain Forest Mat ($79 down from $99 at Myer)
    Rocker: Maclaren Vibrating Rocker
    Swing: Fisher Price Baby Papasan Swing
    Carrier: Baba Sling in Navy
    Bedding: Caden Lane Bedding in Taylor (for a girl) or Hudson (for a boy) - these are from the US

Just need a little bubba of my own to put it all to good use now!

LOL oh boy do I feel unorganised now! Feature walls and colour cordination!
    Here I was thinking my nursery was complete because it has a (brown) cot, (blue animal themed) change table and (white) rocking chair LOL! Oh and a few baby-fairy jigsaw puzzles mounted in frames on the walls, a a $2 butterfly mobile from the reject shop!
    But then I felt silly even organising a nursery when we will be co-sleeping for at least 6 months, so I'm pretty surprised I've got this much done! Oh and a carrier and pram and nappy bag and car seat etc. Hasn't even cost us $1000 to set up the nursery! Although I'm betting I've forgotten something important LOL!

Thanks everyone, you've given me some idea's, thinking about green paint too!
    Hope you all enjoy planning your nurserys, I'm picking up my cot ect on friday so I think it's going to be a busy weekend. Ohhh I'm so looking forward to the fight over what goes where with my hubby.

Ours won't be completely co-ordinated, but it doesn't worry me.

We have DD's cot still, so that will be getting used, and a chest of drawers. DH is planning on doing a built in wardrobe hopefully around christmas time.

We have a change table with the built in bath, mainly to help me out with not having to bend over after my c/s. It has slide out drawers, so we will be stuffing it full of creams, nappies, singlets, towels etc when it is eventually set up. We haven't even seen it yet as it is still in the box!

Colours.... we have figured that we will wait until bub is a little older and can pick out colours etc. So for now we are using one of the colours ( a nice light silver) that we have used throughout the house and will paint one wall in a pale blue as the feature wall. On this wall we are planning on putting a sticker from the walls of the wild australia website (the baby orangutuan hanging from a tree branch, if anyone googles for them) and will paint a cloud or two on the wall as well. hopefully we can put the change table beside the sticker, so bub has something visual during bum changes.

Curtains are pooh bear, which I had made years ago for DD at a small fortune, so will definately be using them again. They have blue through them, so should hopefully match with the silver walls they will be against, plus they are thermal lined.

We also have a pooh bear table that DD use to sit at and draw and do arty crafty stuff at, which we will try to squeeze in the room as well. If it fits, we plan on getting some nice boxes to sit on top, and will fill with any spare creams, wipes etc..

Might have to get one of those hanging toy nets to store toys in for now? Haven't given that one much thought?

I have to finish cleaning out the room - still has some of DD's stuff in it. once we do that DH has to take the cupboard downstairs (he is pulling it apart and using the timber for woodwork) move the drawers out of the room, plus the spare bed and pooh bear table and then he can start painting! He is so excited about finally being at this stage with only a few weeks to go!

Nic

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast