Thread: Pram Help Needed!!

Default Pram Help Needed!!

Hi there,

I am currently undergoing the painstaking mission of pram shopping. I love the sporty look of the 3 wheelers with the proper pump-up tyres, but I have heard from a couple of people who have them that they are unstable and tip easily because the weight at the front end is distributed over a narrow space...? I intend to go for long walks with the bub so it needs to be suitable for the outdoors as well as shopping centres, etc. I am also keen to find a pram that allows me to face the baby, preferably one that can convert from bassinet mode to sitting position. My mother (bless her) has highlighted the importance of getting a pram that is capable of taking a toddler seat, as I do intend to have my next bub quite soon.
    Does anyone have any advice on prams that
    - are good for outdoor terrain
    - allow you to face the bub (ie reversable seat)
    - convert from bassinet (or sleeping mode) to sitting position.
    - can take an additional toddler seat

Any advice/recommendations are appreciated.

Ellibam Guest

i dont think any 3 wheelers you can face the baby??
    where you will be walking is it on paths ,pavement or dirt and rocky areas?
    if your in an area with lots of paths and 'easy walking' areas then any pram will do that you feel comfy with.

Hi, if you are looking at a three wheeler check the brakes and that it has an added wrist strap.

Last year in SA a couple of these prams rolled down hills and ended up in the river with baby in them.

like all prams i guess the idea is to never park them on a slight slope.

Check the pram to make sure it will fit in your car and that its not to heavy for you to push or pick up on your own.

There are heaps and heaps of prams out there that can attach a toddler seat too, I guess the best thing is to go shopping and try them all out, check the handle out how easy they fold and how stable they are by pushing them around the shop.

Hope this helps
    Tan 32

The only three wheeler pram that faces both front and back facing and can have a toddler seat is the Valco Rebel. It is a good pram but it is a bit heavy and takes up alot of your boot space. One good thing is the entire seat part comes apart from the wheel base and if your baby falls asleep in the pram you can disconnect the bassinette and just take that inside and they can stay asleep in that. It is the basinette that turns from back to front so you can have it either way. Like the other ladies have said you need to go and test them out. Make sure you put weight in the pram when you are testing them. I put a box of nappies in. Also check it fits in your boot and take it outside and see how much protection your baby will get from the sun from the sunshade.

I personally love the 3 wheelers.. A couple tips.. I have a love n care one.. I put bub where te feet go so I could see them.. only for the first couple weeks anyways..

yes they can be a bit on the tippy side if for example you are walking on a lean ( ie car park hill ect) just be aware of it.. Theyare great for shops and paths and the beach the pump up wheels are great except when you get a flat when you least expect it so check your tyres regularly and keep a bike pump in the basket or there is a green goo you can buy from a bike shop and fill your tyres with this.. My friend has done this with her pram and her sons bike and all the wheels are doing just fine...

Good Luck and have fun shopping

Default Reply

Thanks everyone.
    I guess I was initially favouring the 3 wheelers simply for looks, but I am looking at 4 wheelers now also based on friends' advice. I will be doing lots of outdoor walking with the pram, but mostly on footpaths and sometimes roads- nothing too rough. I will check our the valco reversable with toddler seat- thanks for the advice. The only other pram I can find that is reversable, outdoorsy, with toddler seat option is the Bertini X4 Lite. I'm not sure of the cost, but it looks as though it would be a pricey pram...

a few things to think about when buying a pram
    will it fit in the boot of your car with the groceries
    how heavy is it to lift (if your pregnant you'll need to watch the weight)
    where does the toddler seat sit (some sit very close to the actual pram seat, so the person in the back may not have a lot of room if sitting up
    bigger wheels means easier pushing
    does it come with a storm cover, unless your baby is born in winter you probably won't use the boot cover
    how easy is it to steer
    what size basket is underneath (is it big enough to carry a nappy bag and bits)
    will the hood cover the baby enough from the sun if you are out walking a lot

I have a Red Castle Shop n Jogg. Its a 3 wheeler with disc brakes, adjustable suspension, wrist strap, all accessories included (sun cover, storm cover, wheel pump, wheel covers). You can lock the front wheel for walking or jogging and unlocked for shopping or in town. It fits through aisles at shops and folds neatly so it doesn't take up much space in the car. No problems with tipping, I've heard that's why toddler seats can be unsafe but this doesn't have one.

Happy shopping!

Doesn't the strider come in a 3 wheeler now with removable bassinette?? Not sure, I have a Phil & Teds and i love it!! Good Luck!! I have owned 3 prams and 4 strollers over the years!!! Make sure you buy the one you love and is practical straight up - will cost less in the long run, trust me!!!!

I saw the VAlco the other day with the bassinet attachment it looked great.

I have the Phil & Ted, When Julia was little I had her head facing me. I could see her as I walked. I love the Phil & Ted it is not unstable at all and has good wheels, however when she was newborn I did worry that in the newborn position it may swing a little as the baby doesnt weigh much. My friend has the 3 wheeler love n care and it looks great.

There are actually a few 3 wheelers now that you can get baby facing you... Strider 3 by steelcraft, Valco (wouldn't go there) and an Infa one, the grenoble I think...

If your wanting to walk then the only 4 wheeler that I think is suitable is the bugaboo Cameleon the pricey one... but is seriously the best on the market.

As for 3 wheelers, I would stick to a phil and ted's if you think you will have another child with in 2 years, as the toddler seat is better for two toddlers than any other pram with toddler seat. If not thinking about another kid, then I wouldn't go past the Mountain Buggy Elite.... light weight and great handleing...

(Can you tell I worked ina baby shop!!?)

You know one thing that really annoyed me with the more expensive prams? I hated not being able to fit through checkouts or down the isles of some specialty shops!

I had the valco runabout with a toddler seat it was great to go for walks, but shopping with it drove me nuts!! I have traded in the Valso for a cheap $100 layback pusher from K-mart. It has a big basket, drink holder, a tray and is so easy to fold and light.

I will never get another big pram again!!