Thread: Not my finest Mummy moment.

Red face Not my finest Mummy moment.

OK so I've been an exercise widow for while now, DH has a 24 hour team bike race on this weekend and he's been training like mad (I'll have him back soon, mostly). So I'm tired (as usual - I've had this bloody terrible insomnia lately too that I've also been meaning to write a post about). Anyway, DD whinging and throwing food everywhere, DS is starving and having a major blood-sugar-low melt down but is refusing to eat from the spoon I have chosen, he has to have the red spoon with the plane. So....

I'm over it, I yell, I swear and throw the spoon. I am so angry, I throw it with so much force. It hits the kitchen bench, ricochets off, hits the kitchen window and lands on the floor. I get the bloody red spoon with the plane and all is right with the universe again.

Then later that night when I'm cleaning the kitchen I discover a small but very noticeable dint in the laminate kitchen bench. Sheesh, why, why, why I guess I am lucky the window didn't smash as well. I feel so, so, so stupid. I wonder how I'm going to tell DH. The kitchen is only 18 months old and he will definitely notice. I think about blaming DS but I just can't, it's not right. So I confess with a "Please don't be angry, I already feel stupid and angry enough with myself as it is". He says "Geez, will you look at that, it must have been a weak spot in the laminate (not my super human angry-over-it Mummy strength). Look Darling, the kids will trash it anyway, can you get me a scotch." Then lots and lots of hugs and an "Are you OK now?"

Awwwww........

lol sorry but couldnt help but have a little cluckle to myself.

im glad he was understanding can u put anything over the dint?

Aww hun hope the scotch was good x

Oh yeah and THEN he offered ME some parenting advice.....

Ummm DH, I've got some advice for you.... just be here at dinner time OK.

Awww, isn't he lovely? I hope you're feeling a bit better now.

Re the insomnia, sounds like it could be adrenal exhaustion - keeps you up late, feeling w-i-r-e-d but ironically you feel exhausted at the same time. I saw a naturopath who gave me a few supplements and a bottle of foul-tasting herbs and within 2 weeks I was getting sleepy and falling asleep at the right time and waking up with a lot more energy. Otherwise, if you're falling asleep but then waking up later that can be a sign of hormonal imbalance (peri-menopausal) but again you can probably get some relief with a naturopath/acupuncture person. Maybe a good first stop would be to your GP to get your hormone levels checked.

LOL to you Rach we all have our moments!
    Hopefully DH will take the hint and give you some demonstrations of his apparently masterful parenting ability.

Been there done there...mmmm....but won't bore you with the details of my mummy-mini-tanties....in regards to the insomnia, Brauers Sleep and Insomnia spray - great stuff.

Tomorrow is a new day

L x

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    Re the insomnia, sounds like it could be adrenal exhaustion - keeps you up late, feeling w-i-r-e-d but ironically you feel exhausted at the same time.
    Yep, MD, it's that kind, exactly! W-I-R-E-D!!!! to the M-A-X!!!!

Yeah, I need some 'erbal 'elp. I'll get on to it.

Thanks lovely darlings.

oh mate

....he did react pretty well though....

Hehe.. gee I wish you lived closer to me - I luv ya

Good shot with the spoon - I mean - to ricochet? Geez I need to take lessons cos the things I throw don't hit anything that good (floor, couch, wall...)

Oh, man! I would definitely have copped a 'you have to cope better' lecture
    If it helps, tonight DS wouldn't go to bed because it's the third Wed night in a row that I've been on my own, albeit last week and the week before he was gone for two other nights in the week cos he was doing a few days away with work. Still, it has really pushed me - I've found myself grabbing DS and pulling him into his room to go to bed after the millionth time of getting out and messing around...at 10pm...
    So, yes, not having help when the dynamic usually involves another parent is sooooo hard. I certainly can see how you could get to the point of throwing something!

Yeah, but now he's seen what I can do with a spoon (weak spot ) he wouldn't want one to his head now would he.

Hugs to you all, lovely ones. 'specially you Maya, seeing as YOU haven't actually thrown anything yet.

I would love to say I've never thrown anything, but I would be lying

Hope you get some sleep soon ... *sleepy vibes*

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i am still in shock of his "must be a weak spot in the laminate" comment.

i know what a sheet of laminate costs
    i know what a pain in the rear they are to install/glue etc

what an amazing reaction!

that is incredible!

everyone has buttons
    and there are times they get pushed one too many times
    we're all human hon

i have yelled at the top of my lungs LEAVE ME THE F ALONE at a crying, tantrumming, banshee bilby - when all my buttons were on about 11. Good on a Marsall amp, not good on me!
    i am very ashamed of that reaction, nothing, even living on two hours sleep per 24 hours (at the time) excuses my behaviour. but i did it.

i did a parenting course either around then, or just after (the incredible years), which taught me some valuable "tools" to deal with the very demanding toddler bilby + stuff i read about Attachment/Gentle Parenting. So things have improved out of sight.

I read of "punching pillows" for kids (instead of time out), maybe i need ME one of those, for when all my buttons are pushed.

we try so hard to be all things, to our kids, but being Super Mum is a tough gig.

we've all been there Rach.

I haven't thrown anything yet (banged some doors!), but my body is being very smug about the yelling I have recently curbed significantly...cos I've lost most of my voice and have a throat cold... :blush: Guess that forces the issue of taking yelling out of my toolbox!

good to know Im not the only bad mummy who has the occasional tanty

Your DH sounds like a very wise man

LOL been there, done that :P

As long as the parenting advice didn't extend to buying you a copy of The Nanny's How to Raise Your Child book it's all good!