Thread: Delicious fillings for finger sanwiches??

Default Delicious fillings for finger sanwiches??

Hey guys

We are having a bit of an arvo tea this weekend for DD's bday, and I'm trying to decide on what to make!
    Anyway, one of the things I'd like to make is some little (finger?) sandwiches...but I want them to be super yummy so has anyone got any really scrummy ideas for fillings? (It will be for adults, so not kiddy type fillings)..

Makes me hungry thinking about it!

Thanks

ETA..ignore my spelling on the title hehehe whoops
    Last edited by StrawberryMumma; May 12th, 2008 at 11:19 AM.

I love making finger sandwiches, will BBL later with recipes for you (if you can call them that LOL). DS is awake......

I am hungry just thinking about food....

Roast beef, dijonaisse (sp) and watercress
    Turkey, cranberry sauce, camembert cheese, toasted almond slices and sprouts (yum - the almonds add crunch)
    Ham, swiss cheese, seeded mustard and rocket
    Chicken, sultana, celery and mayo

Why cant i eat any of these??.........of to find some food lol

Have a great time Lee

Deviled Egg Sandwiches
    3/4 cup soft butter or cream cheese
    20 slices bread of your choice
    4 or 5 hardboiled eggs
    8 ounces canned sardines in oil, oil reserved
    2 tablespoons mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons mustard
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste

Spread 1 side of each slice of bread with butter or cream cheese. Place all the remaining ingredients except reserved oil in a food processor. Whirl until a spread is formed, adding reserved oil and/or mayonnaise to bring it to spreading consistency. Spread the mixture evenly over 10 slices of bread, top with the other 10, remove the crusts and cut into tea sandwiches. Makes 40 quarters or 30 fingers.

Smoked Salmon Sandwiches
    1 cup soft cream cheese
    20 slices bread, your choice
    1/2 cup capers
    12 ounces thin-sliced smoked salmon
    Juice of 1 lemon
    Black pepper

Spread the cream cheese on 1 side of each slice of bread. Dot with capers. Arrange the smoked salmon on 10 of the bread slices and brush with lemon juice. Pepper generously. Top with the other 10 slices, remove the crusts and cut. Makes 40 tea sandwiches or 30 fingers.

Cucumber Tea Sandwich Recipe
    Cucumber sandwiches are still the quintessential tea sandwich recipe. No tea party recipe page would be complete without them.

1 large cucumber, peeled and sliced very thinly
    Salt
    3/4 cup soft butter
    2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
    20 slices bread
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    Pepper to taste

Lightly salt the cucumber slices and place them in a colander to drain for 1 to 2 hours. Then combine the butter and garlic and apply to 1 side of each slice of bread. In a small bowl, stir together the lemon juice, olive oil, and pepper. Add the cucumber slices, coating them well. Arrange the cucumber on 10 of the bread slices, top with the other 10 slices, remove the crusts, and quarter. Serve immediately. Makes 40 tea sandwiches.

Variation: Tomato Tea Sandwich Recipe
    Prepare as above, substituting about 2 pounds of seeded, thinly sliced tomatoes for the cucumber. You do not need to drain them as you would the cucumber slices. These can be messy, though, so it's best to arrange the tomato slices so that each slice touches a portion of the outer spread to keep the filling from slipping.

Almond Chicken Salad Sandwiches
    Spread:
    Combine 3/4 cup butter, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves or 2 tablespoons dried basil.

Filling:
    1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken meat
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the filling ingredients. Spread each slice of bread with a thin layer of the butter mixture. Add the filling to half the bread slices and top with the other half, buttered sides in. Remove the crusts and cut the sandwiches as desired. Makes 40 tea sandwiches.

Pepper Cheese Sandwiches
    Spread:
    Cream together 1 cup soft butter, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.

Filling:
    1 1/4 cups Stilton cheese, finely grated
    1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons brandy
    1/4 cup, more or less, heavy cream

Combine all filling ingredients except the cream in a small bowl. Gradually add the cream to bring the mixture to spreading consistency. Spread a thin layer of the butter mixture to the edge of one side of each piece of bread. Top half the slices with the filling. Place the remaining bread slices on top, remove the crusts and cut as desired. Makes 40 tea sandwiches.

Pineapple Cheese
    3/4 cup soft butter
    1 teaspoon cinnamon or nutmeg
    20 slices bread of your choice
    11/2 cups soft cream cheese
    1/2 cup pineapple, finely chopped
    1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
    Salt and pepper

Combine the butter with cinnamon or nutmeg and spread the mixture over 1 side of each slice of bread. In a small bowl, cream the cream cheese, if necessary, and stir in the pineapple and nuts. Add salt and pepper to taste. Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over 10 slices of bread and top with the other 10 slices. Remove the crusts and cut. Makes 40 quarter tea sandwiches.

Hummus in Pita Bread
    This is not a traditional tea sandwich recipe, but it exhibits the same features. Any small-portioned, savory (not sweet) sandwich or appetizer may be served with or instead of the traditional tea sandwich.

1 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), liquid reserved
    1/3 cup tahini paste*
    1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    1 or 2 cloves garlic
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
    Salt and pepper to taste
    12 mini pitas
    Chopped olives and tomatoes, optional

*You can make your own tahini paste in a food processor or blender by grinding toasted sesame seeds. Toast the sesame seeds over medium heat until golden brown, about 3 minutes.

In a food processor, puree the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, paprika, and garlic until smooth, adding a little of the reserved liquid if the mixture seems too thick. It will be slightly grainy. Season with salt and pepper. Cut the pita pockets in half and fill each with about 2 tablespoons of Hummus. Top with chopped olives and tomatoes, if desired. Makes 24 tea sandwiches.

**from 'greatpartyrecipes dot com'

Have fun!!!

Smoked salmon, with cream cheese and dill or capers! Mmmmmm!

ooohohohoohohohohohohohohho janie makes awesome sandwich fillings!!!

yeah Janie's are the best, i've even been dreaming about them Janie!

PMSL, I saw the topic 'Delicious Fillings for Finger Sandwiches' and thought, ooh has someone popped in to talk about Janie's chicken sandwiches?!

I think we need to have another local meetup, and she can only come if she brings sandwiches.

hehe sounds good to me nelle!!

sorry lee to crash your thread but they are trully awesome!!!

hehe you girls are funny....well....Miss Janie?????!!!! hellloooooo??!!!...where are these famous recipes! Don't leave me hanging Hurry up and get back on bb

Sorry, I'm back! You girls are naughty, talking me up like that.........well the sandwiches anyway. LOL Nelle at only letting me come if I bring some

Okay Lee, here's what I do, I don't really measure things out or anything, but they're very easy

Pop a couple of chicken breasts in a saucepan of cold water, with a couple of lemon wedges. Simmer for about (?) 20 minutes, and take off heat. (If they're particularly big pieces of chicken, they might need longer). I like to let them cool down in the water for awhile, helps the meat to stay moist.

Shred the chicken into a bowl, by hand. I like it to be quite fine, not in chunks like most people do. Mix in some whole egg mayo, and full fat sour cream. Probably about 2/3 mayo, and 1/3 sour cream. Tear up some rocket (or chop up some spring onions, depending on what you prefer) and mix through, season. I like the mixture to be really wet, so be generous with the mayo etc. I mean, you don't want it sloppy, but definitely not dry! The chicken should be well coated.

Make into sandwiches (be generous with filling), cut off the crusts and cut in half lengthways (all easiest with an electric knife).

I know it sounds like a saga LOL, butit's not, and they really are yummy.

I also love egg sandwiches. I just finely chop hard boiled eggs, mix with whole egg mayo and season. Rocket is nice with them as well.

Mmmmm, canned pink salmon, flaked, mixed with lemon juice, mayo, and lots of pepper.

I'll try to come back again later!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm yum! Here I am not able to sleep cause I'm starving, and can't find anything in the cupboard, and you're all talking about food. Might go and make some sandwiches now for me, and DH's lunch tomorrow.

I'm starting to think it was a bad, BAD idea starting this thread!!! Sorry Jodi!

I am soooooo starving for a smoked chicken, avo and brie sandwitch .... they would make lovely finger sandwitches.