Thread: Calcium

Default Calcium

How much calcium should I be consuming daily? I`m currently 10 weeks pregnant and I`m also Breastfeeding my 8 month old son.

The only calcium I have is the tiniest bit of milk in my tea each morning, I`m not a dairy lover at all and here I am living on a Dairy Farm where I can help myself to thousands of litres of milk each day.

I`m starting to get a bit worried about my lack of calcium which may lead to painfull osteoporosis later in life :-k

Janie Guest

Dee,

You definately need more calcium than that - do you like yoghurt or cheese? They count towards your daily intake too.

Not sure exactly what is recommended but I do believe you should be having more when you are pregnant, plus your BF too!

Good luck.

Recommended is about 1200 mg of calcuim a day for pregnant women. Its more so in the last 3 months that you need a lot of it though.

Are you taking a pregnancy and BF multivitamin? If you are that should provide you with enough calcium, folate, iron etc.

Hi Deejoy

You need 1200 mg of calcium a day. This is not only needed to help prevent osteoporosis but is also need to form strong bones in your growing baby. Dairy is the best form of calcium but you can also get it from green leafy vegies. Vitamin D is also important to help your body use the calcium.

Dee - I worry about that too But thankfully I LOVE my milk Probably would be different if I had it all around me though.

You can get calcium tablets if required. Maybe have a look at the vitamin rack next time you are at the pharmacy/supermarket.

Fi