Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constant hunger....driving me mental!!!

Melinda Guest

Default Constant hunger....driving me mental!!!

Has anybody else had almost continual hunger?!?

Over the past week I've found that I've had to eat every 1.5 - 2 hours around the clock, so it's been pretty disruptive for my sleep!!! If I don't eat when I feel hungry, then I start to feel sick and dry reach (during the day), but during the night if I don't eat, I just plain old don't sleep......

It's driving me absolutely bonkers.....can anyone give me any suggestions on foods that can sustain this ridiculous appetite a bit?!? I've posted in the recipes section on low GI foods thinking that those kinds of foods may help as well, but I'm open to any suggestions.....I need help! LOL

In the last week I`ve ben starving but it doesn`t extend into the night, that must be awful waking up so hungry through the night.

Low GI foods are suppose to keep you fuller for longer but in saying that all weekend I`ve been eating grapes and they still don`t keep me full and they are classed as low GI, another low GI food is weetbix, sorry I don`t know of any others.

Perhaps try drinking a couple of glasses of water when you feel hungry, it might help :-k

Sorry I don`t really know what you can do Melinda, hopefuly this appetite of yours will soon pass.

as much as I dislike apples Melinda - a good red delicious apple was handy to snack on and helped fill me for a while a little.

your hi grain breads are also at the lower end of the GI range (especially with respect to breads) so with some vegemite might help

milk was my other saving grace to help with hunger although I've found plain milk making me sick a bit this pregnancy but a little bit of flavouring (not the healthiest way) stopped the sick and helped the hunger.

Wow Melinda, that's a bummer about the constant hunger..

I get DH to bring me something when he comes to bed, and then when I wake up between 4-5:30 (most mornings) I grab a glass of milk and then some tinned fruit or yogurt for when I next wake up.
    So it's managable so far...

What kind of things do you snack on? Are they the sort of thing that can be kept by the bed so you don't have to get up?

Melinda For my 4 boys when I was pg with them i had to eat every 2 hours for the first 20 weeks or I would be sick like you explained, except for at night...so i just ate what i wanted ( within reason!) and found nothing helped more than the other..you just need to keep your BSL from dropping..that's what makes you sick..as long as I ate EVERY 2 hours i was fine, even if it was a couple of bikkies or something..hope this helps!!

Jan xx

Melinda Guest

I've been trying to have things protein-based like yoghurt during the night, or a sandwich with egg or ham in it (using multi-grain bread). So not things I can put by the side of the bed IYKWIM? They need to stay in the fridge.

It really is getting to me.....my sleep is so disrupted because of it!! I've just never heard of anyone else having to eat like this around the clock!!

Thing is, when I do eat, it doesn't seem to satisfy me......it's like it temporarily takes away the hunger but not in such a way as I feel like "aaaahhh that's much better" IYKWIM? So I know that I will start to feel hungry again soon. And considering it takes me a while to get back to sleep, it means not much sleep is being had!!! Eeek!!

Have you treid keeping dry fruit next to the bed? For the first 12 weeks I was actaulley waking up about 3am and being sick, and then I would becoem starving hungry. Usually I would have a freddo frog and a glass of juice which would tie me over till the morning.

Melinda I can really sympathise. I was hungry the whole pregnacy. I would have breakfast then get to work and have 2 rounds of vegemite on toast! I also kept snack size packs of fruit and nuts with me at my desk at work.

Melinda, I am going throughh the same thing. But when I wake at night, I actually feel sick if I don't get up & eat.
    Just last night I made shure I had a big filling dinner but come bed time, I was hungry again & by about 1 am I was starving so I got up & had an apple.
    Glenn woke about 3 times during the night & each time I was sooooo hungry. The final time I managed to just ignor it & fell back to sleep.
    But my god do I feel awlful if I don't eat something.

angelique Guest

I know this is not very healthy but when I was hungry at odd hours of the night and morning, i used to munch on biscuits or my own home made muffins. If you make a batch you can keep them outside for a while.

I found I could not be bothered opening the fridge (smelt) or the cupboards at these scary hours. Just keep them near a table where you sit etc.

Hope this helps

Melinda Guest

Thanks everyone, I appreciate all your suggestions.

FionaJill - I'm glad I'm not the only person going through this!!! I was thinking that I was LOL!!!

Last night I found something that worked and I'll trial it again tonight and hopefully it wasn't a fluke! I had a big drink of milk (flavoured with a bit of milo as I HATE plain milk) as well as a tub of yoghurt. I had that at 3 am, and didn't eat again until 9 am!!! I guess both those things being low GI helped? I'm not sure, but I'm hoping that I'm onto a good thing here!!!

DoubleK Guest

i had something similar if my early weeks, when i got hungry, i had to eat STRAIT away.. or else i'd end up feeling sick and dry reachin, as if i had starved myself.... but then of course... because i felt sick, i didnt feel like eating anything, or i didn't know what i felt like!!!

i did get sick of being hungry alllllll the time tho!

Mel

I replied to your Low GI foods in the recipe section as I eat low GI.

I usually have a snack about 2 hours after dinner such as milo or yogurt and fruit which keeps me going until the morning.

Hope this helps.

Bel
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Rachy
    i had something similar if my early weeks, when i got hungry, i had to eat STRAIT away.. or else i'd end up feeling sick and dry reachin, as if i had starved myself.... but then of course... because i felt sick, i didnt feel like eating anything, or i didn't know what i felt like!!!

i did get sick of being hungry alllllll the time tho!
    Thats me!!

I had the worse day today. I felt tired & sick most of the day. I wish I would just vomit & be done with it for the day!

I am exactly the same

Ended up eating crumpets late last night so i could sleep, i was so tired!

Hope it doesnt last the whole pregnancy!

Even an hour or so ago i had mushroom and cheese omelette and toast and i could so eat again right now!

Melinda Guest

Yep, that's how I feel too - during the day - feeling sick because I haven't eaten, yet the thought of eating makes you feel sick, and you know if you don't eat then you'll be sick anyway. Damned if you do and damned if you don't LOL.

Overnight I'm ok, but I definitely have to eat. I've had 2 nights now where the milk/yoghurt combination has really kept the hunger at bay.......thank god!!!

Funny you mentioned the yogurt Melinda, i just bought some earlier and i dont normally eat it. Must of subconsiously (sp?) thought it would help lol

Melinda Guest

LOL!!! I've never really been a very big fan of yoghurt to be honest, but I found myself needing to eat it when PG with Jacob!! And I certainly need to eat it again this time too!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast