Thread: Constipation - (TMI Sorry) 5 weeks preg

Unhappy Constipation - (TMI Sorry) 5 weeks preg

Hi,

I am suffering from a mild case of constipation. Sorry if TMI..... but i want to know what is safe to take can i take metamucil ?????

Is this normal for this stage of pregnancy ?

for about a week now things in that region have really slowed down .. hehehehehehe

Getting mild cramps from it also.....

HELP

Cool

Try fresh blueberries - another mum-2-be put me onto this, I have some every morning with my weetbix and no problems since literally the day I started.

A punnet lasts me about a week.

You could also try frozen ones.

Hi Meegm,

It's really normal to have consitpation at this stage of pregnancy. I on the other hand, am very regular when pregnant, until the very end.

The HCG and other preggo hormones makes everything relax so that it can move around to make room for your growing uterus, hense, the relaxing of all organs, tends to make the bowels pack up!

If the blueberries don't work, just ask your pharmacy what you can take when pregnant. I think they are all pretty safe, but you want one that softens the stool, not makes it runny, because then you'll get heaps of wind and that equals pain!

The cramps could be the stretching of the uterus, that's a good thing. If it gets annoying or worse, take some pandadole. That's safe to take whilst pregnant, although some chicks don't like to take anything, why be in pain I say!

Take care, let us know how you go...

meegm
    like Tash says constipation is really common in early pregnancy. I had it too and all the things that I used to take during IVF (also constipation inducing) were absolute no-nos. You do need to check with your pharmacist about what is safe if you are going to go for and over the counter thing. (And make sure it is the pharmacist and that they look it up - I had to insist this was done at my pharmacy or some of the casual pharmacy assistants would just tell you anything...).

I ended up eating organic prunes. Not too many, but they helped. Also ended up changing my pregnancy vitamins. I was taking Elevit but they changed something or I changed and once I swapped it for something else I was fine again.

I found elevit really constipating too but the fabfol wasn't so bad.
    Fruit juice works for me.

My obst made me do this as I was not allowed to strain
    2 glasses of pear juice daily or
    1 piece of kiwi fruit skin on sliced thinly daily `~not sure how it works but it does.
    Bec

I don't know how much help i can be because i tend to have the opposite problem during pregnancy
    But my ob said that metamucil is fine to take during pregnancy!

I went and asked the chemist and got some tablets I only had to take them once. Remember to drink lots of water and eat plenty of frit

Meegm - I am having the same problem!!!!!! I have been trying to go tonight and it just isn't moving :eek: Goodness only knows how I am going to go if this is the problem through pregnancy. I'd say I'll be a good candidate for haemorrhoids Now ... where are those apricots???

I am also having the same prob.....for the first time ever! Last time I was pg it was the other end of the spectrum! I have been having lots of dried fruit (I particularly love apricots) every day. I find this really helps, and if I miss just one day, I'm back to the same old problem. Like the other girls said, consider what supplement you are taking. The iron in them really slows you down! Good luck

Hi Girls,

I ended up getting nucolox - similar to metamucil, started on that ...... feelin a bit better today - will need to keep with it tho for a few days i thimk..

i also read about something called COLONYXL (NOT with SENNA) there are 2 types.

might keep this in mind if the fibre supplement dosnt get me back to normal..

Thanks again..

Meegm - it may not hang around for your whole pg. I was in the beginning then the opposite for several weeks.

Pear juice is good!

Wink

Hi,

i couldnt handle it anymore - i was waking up through the night with tummy pain -

i ended up getting those tablets coloxyl, they have helped a bit, - i just want this to stop.

Thnaks for the advice -

I absoluetly agree with above. Avoid atificial stimulants, drugs etc unless a last resort

Pear juice is great so is a handful of seeds like pepita, sunflower.
    Lots of water....I mean lots....substitute it for all other drinks. Your body needs water not soft drink, coffee...water!

Replace refined white products with whole grain.

Exercise is important too. Daily walks should help.

Hi there meegm
    I have had the same problem from time to time.
    Also try darryl lea original liquorice and/or prune juice.
    Do keep up the water if you can manage it helps a lot.
    Sending you bowel loosening vibes
    Belinda.

I had the same problem (still do) ... I think from the iron in the Elevit I'm taking. The midwife at my FS suggested orange juice which does work, along with lots of water, and a good walk every now and then.