thread: Fingers Swelling??

Oct 2007
    Perth

Fingers Swelling??

Hi everyone

Im 9 weeks pregnant and just this morning couldnt put my rings on! Is this normal so early? My fingers are really swollen and I dont know why. My diet is pretty good, I try not to eat too much salt and drink lots of water. I started researching online and completely made myself paranoid about pre-eclampsia. So, just asking if anyone else has experienced this so early or should I head off to my GP to get some tests?

TIA,

Hayley

Jodie259 Guest

It's perfectly normal Hayley.
    I swelled up really early on in my first pregnancy. I never took my wedding ring off... but I noticed it was getting tighter and tighter. I asked my ob about it - and he said to remove it or they would have to cut it off.

That was 2 years ago - and 9 months after giving birth, I got pregnant again - and my fingers have not returned to pre-pregnancy. So my wedding ring is still in the safe

I'm sure it's nothing to do with your diet, or pre-eclampsia... it's just hormones & your body changing.

With both of my pregnancies - I had this weird thing happen to my lower legs. Apart from the swelling - if you pressed down on the shin bone - the skin would indent - and not spring back. So I could have all these dents down my shins. It even freaked my Obstet out... and sent me off for blood tests. But I was all clear.

So try to relax. You'll probably have a 12 week check won't you? You can mention it to your doc/ob then...but I wouldn't panic too much.

BellyBelly Professional Support Panel

Nov 2005
    QLD

I agree with Jodie. It is normal. Dont worry hun.

Oct 2007
    Perth

Thanks for your replies, guys. The fingers have gone down a bit today, could fit the rings on around lunch time but Im sure they will be coming off again soon.

Oct 2007

Yep very normal, my swell on & off through out the day!

Nov 2006
    Vic

Me too, really early on.. my rings would fit ok in the morning but would become firm and uncomfortable by afternoon. Now even on a cool morning I have no hope of even getting them on!!

2Bubs4Us Guest

i hade the same with DS, and i have it again with #2, my rings are on my chain on my neck, got them enlarged after DS was born, but still don't fit!